Ruel wrote Free Time, the ti­tle track of his new EP out on Septem­ber 13, on a day off in Los An­ge­les dur­ing a writ­ing trip.

All proceeds from the event will go towards Support Act. For his loved ones, the loss is inconceivable. Find more stuff here.

With a belly full of chicken I played my second showcase at a place called The Free Times Café on College Street. The concert, dubbed ‘A Bright Light: An Evening For Luke’, will see a number of musicians who performed alongside Liang — including the likes of Jarryd James, Alex The Astronaut and a reunited Papa vs Pretty — pay tribute to the multi-instrumentalist during a show at Sydney’s Metro Theatre in October. For Fans Of Kehlani: Introducing Lara Andallo, NEW AUS MUSIC PLAYLIST: Our Favourite Tunes Of The Week, Post Malone Forgets How To Lip-Sync During Billboard Awards, Trump Is Hit With Another Cease And Desist Order, This Time From Phil Collins, Faker Are Back & They’ve Released Their Lost Album ‘Get Loved’, Oops! Were you there at the Bruce Mason Centre for this energetic pop gig? Thanking his audience, Ruel left the stage which had once again begun to fill with smoke, fans knowing full well that his latest single had yet to be performed. Informing the audience that the song was originally written about a break-up with a girl, Ruel brought the topic of mental health to the forefront as he discussed the importance of talking to people and how the death of his friend and fellow musician Luke Liang inspired him to re-write the lyrics and dedicate it to his memory. Montaigne, Thelma Plum, Jack River and more will also perform, with all proceeds from the show going to music industry charity Support Act, which launched a mental health helpline to support Australia’s music industry earlier this year. It's like cancer. While his voice is still maturing, Ruel already has a resonance to it that speaks of a soul far older than the body it is currently embedded in, ‘Golden Years’ and ‘Not Thinkin’ About You’ both great vehicles for showcasing his range of depth. Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email. The respected Sydney musician has died at the age of 28.

Taking the mood back up Ruel brought out two of his biggest hits to finish; both ‘Dazed & Confused’ and ‘Younger’ seeing the fans hold nothing back as they sang along to each line. His delivery of the song was fraught with genuine emotion, even youth unable to protect him from the obvious pain his friend’s death had inflicted upon him. We are all here for each other. Ruel wrote Free Time, the ti­tle track of his new EP out on Septem­ber 13, on a day off in Los An­ge­les dur­ing a writ­ing trip.

Luke had the biggest, most glorious smile and would always do his best to cheer you up or help you out of a bad situation. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in our industry who didn't know of Luke and his musicianship, kindness and incredible work ethic. Since then he has released his EP entitled Ready, several singles and played a sold-out show at Auckland’s Tuning Fork in October of last year; Ruels star only continuing to rise as he once again returned to Auckland last night to play to a capacity audience at the Bruce Mason Centre. Photography by Richard Myburgh. Every time I think of butter coffee, Star Trek, Instagram stories, high fives, being 'togeeetherrrr', double dinners, long hugs and Red Bull, I'll remember you and your cheeky smile.

Everyone he ever came in contact with was warmed by his joyful presence and impressed by his ability to master anything in a matter of hours - seemingly with great ease. We will miss you and love you forever, Lukey.”. Following his passing last month, artists who worked with Liang including Alex the Astronaut, Jarryd James, Montaigne, Papa vs Pretty, Thelma Plum, Jack River and more will perform at a special show to be held at Metro Theatre on Thursday 4 October. Luke Liangwas the finest musician I will ever meet. A charity tribute concert has been announced in memory of beloved Sydney musician and former Papa vs Pretty member Luke Liang, who died last month at the age of 28. He was unstoppable. Appearing on stage under a haze of smoke, fans weren’t quite sure who they were cheering for as a figure stepped forth wearing a yellow boiler suit and gas mask; the applause soon turning to screams as the suit was discarded to reveal Ruel himself who then launched straight into singing ‘Don’t Tell Me’. It is hard to believe that the English born/Australian raised singer is only sixteen years old, his stage presence one of a far more seasoned performer. Excitement soon spilled over as lightning flashes sparked, eerily lighting up the room; Ruels band returning dressed in white boiler suits and gas masks like Ruel had worn himself at the beginning of the show, the full circle effect providing a notion of completion. Catch all the date and ticketing details for ‘A Bright Light: An Evening For Luke’ down below. ... a bal­lad he penned when friend and mu­si­cian Luke Liang lost his bat­tle with men­tal ill­ness last year. An outpouring of grief from the music community on his Facebook page remembers Liang as a “master of all trades”; a kind, funny and … “Luke Liang was the finest musician I will ever meet," Ball Park Music's Jen Boyce wrote in a tribute to Liang. It is so unbelievable to think that such a gorgeous soul could lose his battle with depression. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Luke had the biggest, most glorious smile and would always do his best to cheer you up or help you out of a bad situation. While talking about him over the last few days we have come to the conclusion that Lukey was 'the ideal human being'.". Fu-You Tian, Lian-Feng Huang, Li-Wu Fan, Hong-Liang Qian, Zi-Tao Yu. He had time for everyone and would drop you a line even if he only had a spare half an hour to catch up. Australian artist Ruel has been a rather frequent visitor to New Zealand shores over the last couple of years, his first appearance here as support for Khalid’s sold out show in November of 2017. Ruel delivered everything his fans could have wanted last night and more, from covers of popular artists such as The Weekend’s ‘Call Out my Name’ – which gave his entire band the opportunity to shine with some impressive guitar and keyboard solos as well as phenomenal harmonisation from his backing singers – to incredibly emotional moments such as when Ruel took a seat for ‘Unsaid’. A former member of Sydney band Papa vs Pretty, Liang was well known around the country for work with Alex the Astronaut, M-PHAZES, Jack River, Ruel, The Aston Shuffle and Guy Sebastian. We are stronger together.

There's no more content to load.

by KYLE & Luke Liang U WERE MY FRIEND by KYLE (Unreleased) I'm so sad that he couldn't see how widely and deeply loved and respected he was.

High levels of circulating LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) play a key role in the initiation and development of atherosclerosis. Tell your loved ones how much you love them. Having penned his first song at the tender age of twelve it was Ruel’s father who set his career wheels in motion when he sent off a demo tape to well-known Australian producer Mark Landan (aka M-Phazes) just four years ago. Tickets for the show are on sale now; for more details, scroll down. Unsaid by Ruel Update Freestyle by Eric Skye ... Up Jumped The Boogie (Phazed Out) by Bliss n Eso Ups & Downs by KYLE prod. If you enjoyed this content, please consider donating towards the running of Ambient Light, covering expenses and allowing us to expand the coverage you love by visiting our PressPatron page. Some endure it to varying degrees their whole lives. A cute little pub/bar with a tiny stage out the back and a neat guitar mural which you can just about make out in the photo.

Or have you seen Ruel perform live somewhere else before? If you are experiencing struggles of your own, please seek help, or ask a trusted person to assist you in seeking help. My lovely friend Steve took this picture […]

“… the world lost an incredible talent, a kind heart and an unwavering friend.

While talking about him over the last few days we have come to the conclusion that Lukey was 'the ideal human being'. Pausing momentarily to speak to his fans directly, Ruel spoke of how his next song ‘Real Thing’ was inspired by the movie High Fidelity, Ruel then further displaying his musical prowess by picking up a guitar for a cover of the Jack Garratt song ‘Weathered’. Liang played 170 domestic and 26 international shows in 2017 alone and, as well as the above acts, worked with names such as with Guy Sebastian, Japanese Wallpaper, KLP, Nicole Millar and Ruel. ... Dami Im, Japanese Wallpaper, Ruel, M-PHAZES, KLP, Kim Churchill, Jarryd James, Deep Sea Arcade and Nicole Millar. “I’m so sad that he couldn’t see how widely and deeply loved and respected he was. Multi-instrumentalist Luke Liang is being mourned by many corners of the Australian music industry today. The debut EP, Ready, introduced the world to Ruel, whose song writing talent, emotive vocal delivery and live performances swiftly captivated a dedicated fan base that has grown exponentially with each song and release.

Much-loved Sydney multi-instrumentalist and former Papa Vs Pretty member Luke Liang has died at the age of 28. In almost a homage to these humble beginnings, Ruel began his set last night by returning to his roots. “Luke Liang was the finest musician I will ever meet,” she said. “Luke Liang was the finest musician I will ever meet,” she said. Liang played 170 domestic and 26 international shows in 2017 alone and, as well as the above acts, worked with names such as with Guy Sebastian, Japanese Wallpaper, KLP, Nicole Millar and Ruel. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.

Some are lucky and go into remission, never to face the beast again. "Everyone he ever came in contact with was warmed by his joyful presence and impressed by his ability to master anything in a matter of hours - seemingly with great ease.

Alex The Astronaut and Ball Park Music’s Sam Cromack honoured Liang with a Bob Dylan cover at triple j‘s One Night Stand concert earlier this month. Informing the audience that the song was originally written about a break-up with a girl, Ruel brought the topic of mental health to the forefront as he discussed the importance of talking to people and how the death of his friend and fellow musician Luke Liang inspired him to re-write the lyrics and dedicate it to his memory. All artists will be performing for free. He even completed a law degree whilst touring. Affiliate Disclosure: Evolve Media LLC, and its owned and operated websites may receive a small commission from the proceeds of any product(s) sold through affiliate and direct partner links.