Sitemap | Like I said, mermaids can swim between realms so there's no limit to the people Ariel can come into contact with. She just has to stay true to herself and Snow White gives her the confidence to do that. She continued to act in high school where she was discovered by Nickelodeon and commuted from Florida to Montreal, Quebec, Canada, to star for two seasons in the television series, How JoAnna Garcia Swisher Made It Through Her "Year of Tremendous Heartache", Film News in Brief: Jennifer Lopez, Owen Wilson Romance ‘Marry Me’ Slated for February, St. Jude Celebrity Ambassadors Unite During Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. This turned into a positive; freeing the actor to take a job on The WB sitcom Reba, portraying Cheyenne Hart Montgomery as the show she left was canned by NBC for low ratings.[1]. The search is over for Once Upon a Time 's Little Mermaid. Looking for something to watch? About Our Ads Terms of Use | JoAnna Lynne Garcia, professionally known as JoAnna Garcia Swisher, was born on August 10, 1979[2] in Tampa, Florida[1] to Spanish-American homemaker and former elementary school teacher Loraine and Cuban gynecologist and obstetrician Jay Garcia. "John Wick 2" Star Bridget Moynahan/"Fist Fight" Actress JoAnna Garcia Swisher/Super Kid! In 2008, she had a role in A Very Merry Daughter of the Bride, playing Roxanne. She was the homecoming queen at Florida's Tampa Catholic High School. But in perfect Eddy and Adam form, they created a character that is very true and pulls on your heartstrings, in the same way the animated version does. Philiana Ng. All rights reserved. Cheesiest actor? What can you say about her connection to Prince Eric (Gil McKinney)? The iconic "Little Mermaid" character will first appear in Episode 6 of "Once Upon a Time… Does Ariel resurface in present day? If you disagree with its deletion, please explain why at Category talk:Candidates for deletion or improve the page and remove the {} tag. She has one brother, Michael García. Executive producers Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz are known for putting their own twists on iconic characters. JoAnna was set to act in the cast of David Alan Grier's DAG, but months before the show's fall 2000 debut, she was fired. © 2020 The Hollywood Reporter Once Upon a Time Wiki is a FANDOM TV Community. Edit. I think she would be quite offended if someone fancied herself to be anything but sweet and kind. JoAnna Garcia Swisher is one of the supporting actors of Once Upon a Time, portraying the role of Ariel. Did they inform you of Ariel's arc and how they planned to differentiate her from what we're familiar with? Philiana Ng. Jo was born on August 10, 1979, in Tampa, Florida. García starred in the ABC sitcom Better with You. After Nick (Bent's David Walton) has a health scare, he realizes that his best friend of 15 years, Wendy (played by Better With You's Garcia Swisher) is "the one" and must now figure out how to break the news to her. After briefly attending college at Florida State University where she was a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, she quit school to pursue acting full-time and moved to Los Angeles, California. 8 Simple Rules for Buying My Teenage Daughter, Love's Deadly Triangle: The Texas Cadet Murder, Are You Afraid of the Dark? JoAnna Garcia is an American actress, best known for her roles in Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Freaks and Geeks, and Reba. Sitemap | This page is a candidate for deletion. How distinct is Ariel from her counterparts? She's quirky. The search is over for Once Upon a Time's Little Mermaid. Once Upon a Time Wiki is a FANDOM TV Community. The love affair of Eric and Ariel, being that it's the most important thing to her, exploring that has been fun and something I was glad to do. She had a recurring role on Freaks and Geeks (1999–2000) portraying the character of Vicki Appleby the popular freshman cheerleader who spent seven minutes in heaven with the ultimate geek, Bill Haverchuck (Martin Starr). It was revealed at Comic-Con that the Little Mermaid would be making an appearance in the new season, which kicks off Sept. 29, with a teaser revealing Ariel/Little Mermaid. Though there was a brief glimpse in the season opener of a group of angry mermaids terrorizing the occupants on the Jolly Roger, Ariel won't be in the same boat. JoAnna Garcia Swisher is one of the supporting actors of Once Upon a Time, portraying the role of Ariel. JoAnna Garcia Swisher is the American actress who portrays Ariel and Ariel (Wish Realm) on ABC's Once Upon a Time. She first started performing at age 10 when she auditioned for a local theater production and landed the lead. Her father is of Cuban descent. We and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. On September 3, 2013, Gil ... Viewership and ratings per episode of Once Upon a Time; No. García went on to portray the character of Cheyenne Hart Montgomery, Reba's (Reba McEntire) oldest daughter on The CW sitcom Reba (2001–2007). "The idea of doing this has been in my life for a while, so I was happy when they figured out a way for Ariel to come into the story that I was able to do this," Garcia, who debuts in the Nov. 3 episode of ABC's fairy tale drama, tells The Hollywood Reporter. She is married to baseball player Nick Swisher. She was featured on the short-lived CBS comedy Welcome to the Captain. That is something they're letting me tell you. While attending Tampa Catholic High School, she was discovered by Nickelodeon and starred for three seasons as Samantha on Are You Afraid of the Dark?. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. Garcia and her husband, outfielder/first baseman Nick Swisher, at Forward Operating Base Shank, Afghanistan on a USO tour to greet troops and tour military facilities, November 25, 2011. TV Guide Magazine first reported the news. "Once Upon a Time" has found its Ariel in JoAnna Garcia Swisher, TV Guide was the first to report. We got a glimpse of how vicious the mermaids can get in the premiere. Back then, her parents insisted acting work be balanced with a normal kid's life—even as she was interrupting classes at Tampa Catholic High School to head to Canada for a role in Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark? STORY: Marilyn Manson Heading to 'Once Upon a Time'. She has also appeared in the original television movies From the Earth to the Moon (1998) and Love's Deadly Triangle: The Texas Cadet Murder (1997). August 16, 2013 JoAnna Garcia has landed the role of the Disney princess in the upcoming third season, The Hollywood Reporter confirms. It was announced on June 25, 2009 that she will have a recurring role on The CW drama Gossip Girl playing the role of Bree Buckley who is described as a fun, sexy brunette, an irreverent evil Miss America type who is politically progressive but hails from a conservative Southern family. But there are also other quirky elements to Ariel that I really love, the fact that she finds a lot of weight and finds these simple, mundane items on land to be incredible treasures and I love that part of her. About Our Ads JoAnna Garcia Swisher. Happy Cheese Doodle Day! [3] They have one daughter, Emerson Jay Swisher.[4]. She will appear in the first four episodes of the show's third season, and will be involved with the character of Nate Archibald. by She began performing at the age of ten, when she auditioned for a local theater production and landed the lead. [1], Recurring roles on Party of Five and Freaks and Geeks followed, along with a part in drama Opposite Sex. Gallery of behind the scene stills released to promote the actor. Email: Philiana.Ng@THR.com She was cast on the television drama Party of Five, playing the recurring character Hallie. (In a promo, we see Ariel refer to her as Ursula.). Privacy | As is ordinary practice on the ABC fairy tale drama, expect the Little Mermaid to have a slight twist from the 1989 animated feature classic. ", STORY: 'Once Upon a Time': Colin O'Donoghue on Hook/Emma's Connection and 'Idealistic' Past. Should we expect Ariel to have some surprising interactions with characters other than Snow White? She had a leading role in the ABC Family TV movie Revenge of the Bridesmaids. History Comments Share. Once Upon a Time (TV Series 2011–2018) JoAnna Garcia Swisher as Ariel Greg Malins and Greg Berlanti will write and executive produce the CBS comedy pilot. She began performing at the age of ten, when she auditioned for a local theater production and landed the lead. Better with You was cancelled on May 13, 2011. She even scored a memorable guest role on Fox's Boston Public. All rights reserved. She saves him, falls in love with this shipwrecked prince and it's her life's mission to find her way back to him. In December 2009, García guest-starred as Maggie, Ted Mosby's college buddy on How I Met Your Mother. It's a great love mixed with a great tragedy, but having said that, that's what her friendship with Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) shows her, that not only can she be who she truly is, but that there's a chance. by It sounds scary but it's actually romantic and sweet. Garcia, repped by WME and John Carrabino Management, most recently starred in NBC's short-lived comedy Animal Practice and was a regular on The WB's Reba. Snow White is on the run at this time and Ariel is in the right place in the right time and ends up saving her life. She is Ursula. Ariel definitely marches to the beat of her own drum. What else should we keep in mind about Ariel? It's love at first sight. The "Reba" alum will recur on season three of the ABC fairy tale drama. Personal life. JoAnna Garcia enters the Once Upon a Time universe as iconic Disney princess Ariel, aka the Little Mermaid. Her life is filled with curiosity and optimism and she's completely a hopeless romantic. November 01, 2013 | Cookie Settings. Actresses and actors who've made guest appearances on Gossip Girl! But in true Once Upon a Time form, there's always a twist. JoAnna quit school entirely and moved to Los Angeles. After high school, she tried out a brief year at Florida State University, but the pull towards acting was too strong. E-mail: Philiana.Ng@THR.com JoAnna Garcia enters the Once Upon a Time universe as iconic Disney princess Ariel, aka the Little Mermaid. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. AccessHollywood.com: Tell me […] The Hollywood Reporter, LLC is a subsidiary of Prometheus Global Media, LLC. Through connections from her acting work based in Florida, JoAnna had a job before she could buy furniture for her apartment, flying to North Carolina to film a television movie with John Ritter. Privacy | JoAnna Garcia Swisher is the American actress who portrays Ariel and Ariel (Wish Realm) on ABC's Once Upon a Time. : The Tale of Orpheo's Curse, Guest Co-Hostesses JoAnna Garcia Swisher & Carrie Ann Inaba/Bryce Dallas Howard/Jaymes Vaughan, Elijah Wood/JoAnna Garcia Swisher/Paul Weller, Tyler Perry/Actress Joanna Garcia Swisher/Legendary Blues Guitarist Beverly "Guitar" Watkins/Spooky Scary Animals. Mermaids are not nice creatures in the story of Once Upon a Time, so I was a little nervous of the fact that Ariel would be some renegade, but they informed me very quickly that she would be a very sweet version. [1], While still residing in Florida, JoAnna snapped up just about every acting role she could land; scoring parts in the Tampa-based ABC series Second Noah, seaQuest DSV, Superboy and numerous movies of the week.