The Reds’ 40-man roster now stands at 35 players. The Reds announced on Monday that utility player Derek Dietrich exercised the out clause in his contract and was granted his release. The Reds took him off the 40-man roster after the season, but they signed him to a Minor League contract on March 1 and brought him to camp as a non-roster player.

I’ll admit it, I was severely bummed when the Cincinnati Reds released Derek Dietrich earlier this offseason. Reds utilityman Derek Dietrich has requested and received his release from the team, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com tweets. He gets the job done. Funny… I don’t mind him as a bench piece. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon had the news.

Double-D put on a clinic, slashing .304/.400/.841 with 12 home runs and 22 RBIs.

A huge chunk of them came in one single month, a month that propelled him into temporary stardom, made him an instant fan-favorite, won him awards, and made us all forget Scooter Gennett. He’s also perfectly comfortable coming off the bench as a pinch hitter. That surely had him behind the 8-ball for making the Opening Day roster this week, and given the nature of minor-league contracts in a season where there are no minor league games, he was going to face a very tough decision, one that he and the Reds concluded today. CINCINNATI -- The Reds announced on Monday that utility player Derek Dietrich exercised the out clause in his contract and was granted his release. Colón, Mella, Stephens also cleared waivers and were sent to Louisvile, organization’s No. They will not trade him, he will be given a extenstion and refuse to trade him at at cost because he is nice. MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN - JUNE 21: Derek Dietrich #22 of the Cincinnati Reds celebrates with teammates after scoring a run in the third inning against the Milwaukee Brewers at …

He’s definitely a Major League player, I get it. Rendon, Simmons, Fletcher, La Stella probably as starters. All that being said, I feel 100 percent healthy with my shoulder and back to what I’m capable of doing as far as physically.”. Oh no!

Looks like we just signed Matt Adams though, I could see braves, pirates, royals, or Phillies. The Reds, in this year of years, cannot resign Dietrich for 2020, meaning there’s no chance he sneaks back onto the roster this year. Players with major league experience who are released by MLB clubs are free agents, and are free to negotiate terms with other clubs. Dietrich spent some time on the injured list with shoulder soreness, and actually had arthroscopic surgery at the end of September. The team only granted his release, but he was the one who decided to leave.
As good as the month of April was for Dietrich, the month of May was even better. The 31-year-old Dietrich, to his credit, has consistently been a better-than-average offensive player since his career started in 2013. While Dietz can play the outfield, it sounds as though David Bell wants to keep him in the infield. He’s always had the ability to get right-handers out, as well as left-handers. Cincinnati would go on to win that Opening Day contest against the Buccos. I, for one, will remember the good moments, not the agonizing slump to end the 2019 season. Please login to leave a reply. He’d be a nice utility piece, but I wouldn’t want him as my everyday DH.

If he were such an obvious help to other teams then he wouldn’t have been released by the team he was already on. He previously played for the Miami Marlins and Cincinnati Reds.He also previously played with the Chicago Cubs alternate training site 60-man roster.

Derek Dietrich, who was granted his release today by the Cincinnati Reds, was a career.187 hitter in the uniform. After his three-homer game against the Pirates on May 28th, Dietrich went into a slump that we’ve rarely seen in the sport. Build your custom FanSided Daily email newsletter with news and analysis on Cincinnati Reds and all your favorite sports teams, TV shows, and more. I can’t wait.”.
There is perhaps no other player in recent Reds history who can be less defined by one number than Dietrich, whose lone season with the Reds featured everything and the kitchen sink. Dude is a good hitter at times, but unfortunately can never stay consistent.