NFLX, I've worked in news, sports, children’s television, and narrative storytelling for ABC and the Fox Broadcasting company for over 15 years. The clip includes shots of the astronauts floating in space while their family members await their return to Earth. On paper, “Away” sounds exactly like the kind of show its producers have excelled at in the past. Title: ('Away' / Netflix). https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/hilary-swank-astronaut-trailer-netflix-away The 10-episode Netflix series, created by Andrew Hinderaker, finds Swank in the role of Emma Green, a NASA astronaut who’s commanding the first manned mission to Mars with an international crew. I’ve interviewed everyone from television icon Norman Lear to the guy who produces “Celebrity Rehab.” I just finished my master's in journalism at Harvard and one day hope to have an audience with the queen of all media, Oprah Winfrey. Josh Charles, Talitha Eliana Bateman, Ray Panthaki, Vivian Wu and more also appear in the series, which debuts on Netflix on Sept. 4. Ditto for her crew, whose mettle is continuously tested during the interminable, arduous — and extremely lonely — journey through the suffocating void and darkness of space. An American astronaut struggles with leaving her husband and daughter behind to embark on a dangerous mission with an international space crew. 'Grand Army' Review: Netflix's Problematic 'Euphoria' Imitation Is All Over the Place, Shooting 'The Trial of the Chicago 7' to the Rhythm of Aaron Sorkin's Layered Script, 2020 Fall Network TV Schedules: What's Returning, What's New, and What's Canceled on NBC, The 15 Best Cooking Shows You Can Stream Right Now. It’s a straightforward family drama where the only question is if this family can stay connected during their three years apart. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. I Love You … To do this, she has to leave behind her husband and teenage daughter.

His familial assignment becomes all the more complicated by a surprising accident during the pilot, but it’s best to keep that unspoiled (and, oddly, it doesn’t end up feeling that meaningful to the overall narrative). All rights reserved. There is an unexpectedly old-fashioned feel to Away (Netflix), the glossy and ambitious new space drama led by two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank. This story has been shared 312,597 times. If Hilary Swank hadn’t become an actor, she could actually be orbiting the earth right now. That’s, unfortunately, the case with “Away,” Netflix ’s new drama series starring Hilary Swank as the astronaut leading an international expedition to Mars. Created by Andrew Hinderaker. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. That, too, could be by design. Throughout 'Away,' Swank's Emma Green and her international space crew must grapple with leaving their families behind on Earth. "They need me more than anyone and I'm not there," Swank's Green says. Episodes ... A hardened war horse transported away from battle finds herself in a land that's inhabited by silly, singing centaurs of all shapes and sizes. The action sequences are enough to get the heart pounding, but are rarely overcooked. Swank speaks to ELLE.com about the refreshing gender dynamics of Away, her disappointment in this year's Oscar nominations, and how this space saga mirrors the loneliness of lockdown. Green must leave her family behind to embark on a three-year journey to Mars. Your Ad Choices He says that during the post-production process that was taking place during lockdown, the team realized that the narrative suddenly became more relatable for a variety of reasons. The astronauts can communicate with their families via video chats for about six months post-liftoff before their distance from Earth makes that impossible (cell phones and texting, apparently, can continue). In some ways, those are the most essential in the show.”, Katims says that above all else, the show is aspirational. Things at home seem to go awry when Swank's husband collapses in his kitchen and is hospitalized, and can be seen wearing bandages on his head.

“Away” centers on the Green/Logan family. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.

Choose an adventure below and discover your next favorite movie or TV show. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Eddie Redmayne share their 5 reasons not to miss The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. "You're my reason. “I love that this commander of the mission to Mars is a woman and that’s not the drama of the story. My reason to hold on tight. As the mission launches, Emma finds her mettle as commander tested by an onboard accident, a divided crew and a family emergency back on earth. — there was an incident that occurred en route to the moon (their departure point to Mars) — while juggling an emergency back home that puts her under severe emotional strain and tests her resolve in ways she never could have imagined. Having a loved one removed from your life, suddenly and without an option to speak to them again, speaks to the greatest fear of many self-isolating individuals: What if my mother, my grandmother, my father get sick? Charles is in a similar boat; Matt doesn’t have much in the way of a personality.

The pilot, written by creator Andrew Hinderaker, jumps right into the mission, before bouncing back in time to show the last two weeks before Emma jettisoned out into the universe. It’s showing a colorful part of the real world, and I really appreciate that, and that’s one of the big reasons why I wanted to come onboard not only as an actor but as an executive producer.”. Zwick, who’s known for features like “Glory,” “The Last Samurai,” and “Blood Diamond,” has worked plenty in TV, too, including family dramas like “Thirtysomething” and “Nashville.” Again, his credentials seem to make him a perfect fit for this project, but the results feel too sanitized, too broad, and too familiar. View production, box office, & company info, Cancelled or Renewed? “They were not made to look real, they were real. That “Away” doesn’t want to follow in the moon-walking footsteps of “Apollo 13” and “Gravity” is fine; television is well-suited for a thoughtful, character-driven space exploration, and, over 10 hourlong episodes, there are only so many times a crisis can strike before audiences get worn out. “Away” struggles in so many of the same areas where those series thrived — in the specifics, nuance, and character building — while simultaneously, and somewhat purposefully, not delivering an awe-inspiring thrill ride through the stars. The travels of a lone bounty hunter in the outer reaches of the galaxy, far from the authority of the New Republic. Hilary Swank, Josh Charles and Talitha Bateman. Two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank stars with Josh Charles ("The Good Wife") in this gripping interstellar drama. “Away” Season 1 premieres Friday, September 4 on Netflix. “You’re talking feminist bullshit,” she snaps, gracelessly. We've received your submission. All rights reserved. 312,597, This story has been shared 274,386 times. Hilary Swank already knows where series can go Will there be a season 2 of Netflix’s Away? Also starring in the series are Josh Charles as Emma’s husband, Ato Essandoh, who portrays Dr. Kwesi Weisberg-Abban, a crewmember, Vivian Wu, who plays crewmember Lu Wang, and Ray Panthaki, who portrays another crewmember, Ram Arya. Tears are shed, goodbyes are said, Emma and Matt definitely go to bed, and it all transpires between glimpses of her fateful mission. Ato Essandoh, Ray Panthaki and Hilary Swank. I've worked in news, sports, children’s television, and narrative storytelling for ABC and the Fox Broadcasting company for over 15 years. Houston, we have a parent: what draws sci-fi to motherhood? As it is, it feels like a series that is on its way.