Georgina Island Administration Office – R.R.#2 Box N-13 Sutton West, Ontario L0E 1R0 Phone (705) 437-1337; Fax (705) 437-4597 Then, just six years later, the Chiefs were forced to surrender these lands under treaty. Perhaps the environmental mainstream is the start…but to share the Native mind body and soul with daily business, music, art and science…that is my hope. Georgia's Major Islands Jekyll Island. We have an elected Chief and four councilors. It was a different world then- but that is no excuse now. We enjoy a new Community Centre, Health Centre, United Church and a Public School. As we look towards future generations, and honor our traditional values, we will strive to provide opportunities for our First Nation, to instill pride in our membership and to promote the development of a healthy, safe and self-sufficient community. The island has been inhabited for at least 4,000 years, including settlements by the Guale indigenous tribe and 16th-century Spanish explorers. My Grandmother is a Charles and she never lived on the Island, but her father would go over from time to time. They are one of a handful of First Nations in the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area. Our stories celebrate our heritage and identity as Chippewa people. My grandfather always won a prize for the best garden. Maybe one day, First Nations peoples will learn how to tap into to a similar “cool factor” of the youth- but in a respectful way, rather than a “gangsta-Rez” way. Chief Joseph Snake slowly moved his people back to Snake Island. Hours were spent carving ax handles while my grandmother made beautiful baskets trimmed with sweet grass and porcupine quills. Zuid-Georgia, ook wel Zuid-Georgië (Engels: South Georgia), is een inmiddels weer nagenoeg onbewoond eiland in de eilandengroep Zuid-Georgia en de Zuidelijke Sandwicheilanden.. Het eiland werd naar verluidt voor het eerst in 1675 gespot door Anthony de la Roché, een Londense handelsreiziger, en werd daarom op vroege landkaarten als Roche Eiland aangeduid. I wish more could be done to make the Chippewas of Georgina more entrenched in our daily life. **BE ADVISED THAT OUR NANABUSH TRAILS ARE CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE**. Few streets, neighbourhoods, monuments, holidays etc are named after Natives. We are an Anishnaabe people and our language is Ojibwe. Typical Government scam job; morally, ethically, legally. They were also then allowed to bring alcohol onto the reserves. With more pressure to farm, they moved to the larger and more isolated Georgina Island. The future for the Chippewas of Georgina Island is bright. “In 1961 Native people were finally able to vote in the Federal elections.”. They were trained to spread the Christian faith and were forbidden to practice their Native Teachings or to use their Native tongue. Same for Religious order involvement. He always frightened me. Strawberries, raspberries and a variety of vegetables ensured enough food for the hard winters. Medicines were gathered in the woods. ( oh…and PLEASE require approval of comments to stop the kiddies from making your website look like a joke.

Making the island their home. The Department of Upper Canada wanted to separate the Indians from the white settlements, putting them on reservations was a way of accomplishing this.

Our Island membership is 600 with 155 members residing on our reserve. In the late 1820’s, the Indian Department of Upper Canada began to relocate the Lake Simcoe Indians. In the spring, maple syrup boiled vigorously in big black pots. I don’t want to play or become a “pretend Indian”, but learn how to help and support your past, present and future as the First Nations people of this land.

Additional Information for GIFN Property Taxpayers. Little is done to make your language, culture or images part of daily local/ Canadian life. Only a few remained on Snake Island. The population on Georgina Island in 1876 was 131. Hard to do when all the world is becoming a nation-less new world order, but that makes quickly educating about your Nation among non-Natives even more important. The population on Georgina Island in 1876 was 131. Georgia Private Island For Sale - A rare opportunity to own a completely secluded island in beautiful Coastal Georgia (USA). Boarding schools were to follow, taking children away from heart broken families. With more pressure to farm, they moved to the larger and more isolated Georgina Island.

This island school addresses the educational needs of children in grades K-5 and comes complete with an attached community library and new playground. Virginia Beach Marina & Island View Business Centre, Additional Information for GIFN Property Taxpayers. The island is currently undergoing a growth spurt, which has resulted in the construction of new homes and cottages, and this construction boom has created job opportunities. In the tradition of oral history over generations, our youth - in their turn - will carry on this legacy to protect and share our proud history and who we are as the Chippewas of Georgina Island. In 1961 Native people were finally able to vote in the Federal elections. Only a few remained on Snake Island. We had an Indian Agent who looked after the affairs of our people. Jekyll Island was once a winter retreat for America's richest families, including the Rockefellers, Pulitzers and Vanderbilts. They gradually changed their lifestyles.

I have no doubt government intentions were always self profit-and still are-especially when compared to the seemingly better treatment of non-Canadian refugees and support to other third world countries etc.

With the advent of modern-day communications and new modes of transportation, we are better able to stay in touch with the world around us. Chippewa Chief, Joseph Snake, and his people first lived on Snake Island, one of three islands (Snake, Fox and Georgina) not surrendered to the Crown. Many of us non-natives do not support your treatment by the government. Classes are taught in Native language, art beadwork and traditional teachings.

Georgina Island Administration Office – R.R.#2 Box N-13 Sutton West, Ontario L0E 1R0 Phone (705) 437-1337; Fax (705) 437-4597

Today we have our own police department, a community centre, radio station, fire service, church, government offices and medical clinic. Now a playground for seaside lovers everywhere, Jekyll Island offers a variety of activities ranging from environmental education to plain old-fashioned beach fun. The Indians were blamed for destroying wildlife so they were encouraged to farm. Our men and women fought in the wars, some never returned. She lived just in Sutton before moving to Toronto :)! We have a ball team and a hockey team; we enjoy Powwows and Native dancing. By 1860, the band had outgrown small Snake Island and Chief Snake moved his people onto the larger and more spacious Georgina Island.

Snake Island was the first island the Indians settled on in Lake Simcoe. (When they are they are unfortunately interpreted by some as disrespectful). Effective Friday September 11, 2020 the Aazhaawe Ferry schedule will be changed for the following trips to accommodate the student’s hours for the modified school days Monday – Friday Georgina Island — Virginia Beach *8:45 am returning at 9:30am […] This is the warm loving home I spent my childhood in. Today we enjoy a new ferryboat and hover craft.

The history of your First Nation is inspiring:). Ossabaw Island is Georgia’s third-largest barrier island, spanning more than 26,000 acres, including 9,000 acres of wooded upland area and 16,000 acres of marshlands. Schooling was encouraged and children were placed with mission families. After a nomadic way of life they found it difficult to stay in one area. Our revenues come from leased land on Fox, Snake and Georgina Island. Every week the supplies were shopped for in the nearby towns. Snake Island was the first island the Indians settled on in Lake Simcoe. Self-government is in the future. Making the island their home. The women nursed the sick and delivered the babies. My mother and grandparents spent a lot of time on Georgina in the ’50s, Someone from the band spoke at my mother’s funeral. It seems more attention and “coolness” is given to African Americans in Canada. Georgina Island Administration Office – R.R.#2 Box N-13 Sutton West, Ontario L0E 1R0 Phone (705) 437-1337; Fax (705) 437-4597 Allowing such comments shows a lack of interest and willingness to be taken seriously), Additional Information for GIFN Property Taxpayers. In 1830, Snake and two other Chippewa communities (led by Chief Assance and Chief Yellowhead) were moved to 9,800 acres near what is now Coldwater, Ontario as part of the government’s Coldwater Experiment to colonize the Chippewa people. In the early 1950’s the telephone was brought to the Island by underwater cable, then hydro arrived in 1959. In 1826, camp meetings were held by the Methodist missionaries who worked Vigorously to convert Indians to Christianity.

The ancestors of the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation were inhabitants of the Lake Simcoe region long before the arrival of white settlers. Our way of life is changing, we hope and pray it’s for the better. They would then take them to the villages and sell or trade them for food or clothes. The Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation are an Ojibwa (or Anishinaabeg) people located on Georgina Island in Lake Simcoe, Ontario, Canada.Of the First Nation's registered population of 666 people, 181 live on, and 485 live outside, their reserve. They preserve and teach our Indigenous ways of knowing and knowledge for the future generations of Georgina Island. He rowed across the lake in a boat he had built. There is also increased investment by island residents in new businesses that foster our tourist industry as visitors to the area become more aware of this ‘jewel’ of the lake. They gradually changed their lifestyles. Our mission is to preserve, promote and advance the culture, health, education, economic and social well-being of our community – including our language, history and spirituality. I have read some writings from the early 1800 and in some cases believe they may have had good intentions for Natives to have a better life, but it was certainly done the wrong way.

Hey- weren’t you promised Michigian-Indiana for preventing the USA from winning the War of 1812? The Chippewas of Georgina Island are descendants of a larger group known as the Chippewas of Lakes Huron and Simcoe. Thank you for sharing your memories and stories.

Proud and progressive, we continue to assert our Aboriginal rights as guaranteed in the Canadian constitution. Please provide as much education about Chippewa history and current events that may welcome non-Natives. Mary Jean Waddell, Her mother was Amy Fraser, Anyone out there remember them? Life on Georgina Island began in the early 1800’s. About 1900 my grandfather built our log house.