It’s not racial! Neanderthal VS. Homo Sapien: What Are the Differences? did you know north africans are considered Caucasian? As we’ve mentioned before, race and ethnicity tend to get blurred among people. What you are suggesting, Europeans have also done to themselves. Ethnicity vs Race Very few of us accurately describe the difference between ethnicity and race, simply because we tend to lump them into the same definition. So, what are the key differences between race and ethnicity? Race can be used to describe other elements of biological and regional differences. Ethnicity refers to cultural factors such as nationality, culture, language and beliefs. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. And as far as the White race “having revenge” — that is absurdity at it’s finest. Ethnicity: What Are The Differences? However, and regardless of current societies’ view towards races and how they label people, a person should be able to embrace his/her race and delve into life with a consciously established pride that sets the path for diverse human communication and a varied ethnic realization. The earth has been very well proven that it is round, like many other planets and sundry. The difference between race and ethnicity then? Race is in ‘facial features’? For instance, you can be born Jewish (which is usually referred to as a religion), but it does not mean that you have embraced the Jewish customs or religious beliefs. So, if I am correct Jim’s using that as his reasoning, that they did not come from that typical viking “blue eyed blonde haired” original European heritage. neither did i know my color, until i met cathereen carpenter, a french girl with whom i shared a desk in the art class at college. Race is an indication of the heritage with which you were born, regardless of location or learned behavior. I can’t think of one. Race is 100% in your mind and science has proven that. It has nothing to do with race, but with each individual’s ethnicity and their particular values and beliefs, and their upbringing. People resort to ethnic manifestations in order to unveil the core of their purpose; they identify with customs and tradition to solidify their personality and give themselves a more in-depth constitution. Why is this so difficult for people to comprehend? A person can belong to several ethnic or … Why do some people deny the existence of race, when it’s very obvious to me? Race and ethnicity can overlap. Btw, on another topic, are you vegan? It’s not about skin tone, except as a mere supporting aspect, it’s mainly about the distinctive collective of facial structure, cranial structure, and other characteristics of body morphology which show a persons historical geographical aboriginal lineage. Both groups are on the East coast, closest to Asia. The Asians had left Africa much earlier. I suppose you thought it was only Europeans? Race: Ethnicity: The Race is identified through biological and genetic characteristics shared among people. The only confusion is actually believing there is a difference. i noticed the the stark difference between her skin colour and mine when i laid my hand beside hers on the desk. So what ‘race’ are their children? Race and ethnicity in the United States Census, defined by the federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the United States Census Bureau, are the self-identified categories of race or races and ethnicity chosen by residents, with which they most closely identify, and indicate whether they are of Hispanic or Latino origin (the only categories for ethnicity). Race is what we see, which is biological. More like ‘4’ general racial groups: I’m interested in the genetic differences, just as I am with plants. Biology is also visible, race is visible. NOW that we have come together in closer proximity attributed by technology and basic human evolution, we have these distinctions colliding — still we are all human. Always has been. Bottom line: Race and ethnicity may be different, but they can’t exist without the other. The world is not flat,… I’ve seen the moon, I’ve seen the sun, I’ve seen pictures from space,… But, you can believe is flat if you like, and you can believe races aren’t obvious. Compared to race, ethnicity is more recent, dating back to around 1765–75. There is not a human race. But that is not a credible way of looking at things because “humans” or homosapiens are a race — we just happen to look different depending on where we live or come from on the planet ancestrally – so to preclude any link as one is literally anti-human. Race is usually seen as biological, referring to the physical characteristics of a person, while ethnicity is viewed as a social science construct that describes a person's cultural identity. Which race would you place the Melanesians? Oh, Scott, you poor, misinformed man. Ethnicity is not just a person’s race. Certain acclaims have even gone as far as rolling down religion as an ethnic manifestation. Judaism is a religion, just as Christian is a religion. The teaches that God made plant and animal life according to their kinds( Genesis 1: 11,12, 21, 24, 25). The world is flat, Scott. Different studies object to this system of classification holding on to principles that favor diversity. What are you seeing. Here is a comparison table showing the race vs ethnicity with the key differences to help you understand in an easy simple way. In The United States, for example, there are several ethnic groups that range from African American to indigenous or Native American. Examples of ethnicity include being Indian, Jewish or Asian, regardless of race. I don’t go there. Race Vs. Cite Race is biological, race is genetic; wherever one is geographically at this point in time is not the matter, it’s what their ancestral lineage is which corresponds with their biological genetic morphology, which happens to also correlate with their ancestral historical geographical locational existence. But, that there are distinct genetic populational characteristics over broad areas which are distinctly different compared to populations from other broad areas, as historically known and to the present,…. In such cases, the same term can be used to describe either ethnicity or race. In the same sense, a Caucasian person in Africa might not identify with a Caucasian person in Italy; despite their racial connectedness, the two possess varied ethnic backgrounds. DifferenceBetween.net. I am not in the fight mode, but Mekk could you please explain to me the connection to your statement above, which I have quoted below while attempting to explain to Jans, Jim’s statement. While their behavior would change, their physical and biological features would not. Black? Your way of thinking is ridiculous and antiquated, and has been proven so by science. Munch on that for a moment. I am a mixed person with notable distinctions on my person that you can say is attributed to such – my blood type is European but my hair color speaks to my Native American heritage. It makes no logical or common sense. Skin color does not define a race,… though it’s a typical ‘shorthand’ reference for some racial grouping. What word other than “Jewish” can refer to both a religion and an ethnicity? The thing about ethnic groups is that they can vary within the same country. You probably knew this. And am so tired of people calling it racial differences, etc. Heck we’ve got a moon. This overlaps quite a bit when you consider a race grouping like Asian, which actually has so many ethnic groups one would struggle to name even half. Ethnicity is not just a person’s race. There is no need to resubmit your comment. that’s race. It has also been suggested that race can influence ethnic tendencies greatly; a person will naturally adopt the traditional proceeding provided in his native vicinity, but isn’t that vicinity most likely a geographic region in which people of the same race live? For some people, there is a definite line between the two. The mix-up between race and ethnicity lies on the grounds of this classification. Also the writer claim that you would not be able to tell the difference between an irish, ‘israeli’ and a Canadian, I believe this is false, 2 of these groups of people have vastly different features which could differentiate them from each other, a picture of all 3 would show many differences from complexion, to facial features to even hair texture and both are actually not even considered as Caucasians. then what are they? Does anyone wonder why Melanesians look African but have Asian genes? some are and some are Africans, and some are Chinese!! That would be like calling my ethnicity Christian. Despite the common belief that Race is a pure scientific prospect, and that ethnic manifestations tackle a more in-depth understanding of people in a communicative environment, Race and ethnicity can really balance out each other. Ethnic groups, despite stereotypical acclaims , cannot be confined to a scientific regard. And there are whites who look black, save for their skin color. People who deny the existence of race are being dishonest. Archaeology is often merged with the biological factors considered here; race is then given a variable sense that tackles human development and genetic transformation throughout the years. Always has been. Ethnicity is about tradition, learned behavior and customs. You can enhance the definition by assigning a sub culture to the ethnicity, such as South African, or Ethiopian. so to repeat dogs are the dog “race”, elephants are the elephant “race” and people are the people “race”. A person race is determined by the color of their skin while a person ethnicity is based on their heritage and where they come from. The difference between race and ethnicity is very common. For others, the line might seem so thin it tends to be neglected. Don, the world is not flat to me. So in this case someone could be considered ethnically American, or ethnically American and English speaker. I really do. Race refers to the physical characteristics of someone. You all put so much emphasis on the skin tone and it really is only something that makes me look different from you – like you face. Races are NOT discrete per se. One might find it hard to identify with a specific ethnic group given the present scope of classification. And althougj America is known as “The Melting Pot” no one is of a different race. Since race deal with physical characteristics, it is a much more limited idea than ethnicity. (Nationalities are thrown into the mix, too.) And of course there ‘hybrids’ of different races,… there are clines,… and again, there demes, which is a sort of human racial classification. They are a combination of all those supposed races, which highlights the absurdity of your stance. There are very evident racial differences, morphologically mainly, even separate from skin color. Incest is what happens when humans cannot intermix with those who are “less like themselves” and as a result — there are serious genetic consequences. More, black Africa has the most diverse genes and features of any group under the sun that you may want to call ‘race’, which is not unrelated to the diverse climate in Africa; and that explains why Africa is the cradle of humanity. We may want to be clear when using the word “race” in this discussion.