Drysdale met Ann Meyers, a four-time All-American basketball player at UCLA, when he was in the Bahamas in 1979. Biography in: "American National

Member of 1956 National League Champion Brooklyn Dodgers team and 1966 Los Angeles Dodgers team. The couple divorced in 1969 after 11 years of marriage. . He was actually quite good, until he lost his voice at the end. Dodgers also won the second game for a sweep. Biography". I read about the “universal DH” but I thought it was for the 2020 season only. Held the record for pitching 58.2 consecutive scoreless innings until bested by L.A. Dodger Orel Hershiser in 1988. . Was the only Dodger to hit .300 in 1965. Don Drysdale Death Dead – Don Drysdale Obituary: Cause of Death July 6, 2020 admin dan 0 Drysdale was 56 when he died of a heart attack at Le … When it's outside, he's hitting it with the end of the bat. See more ideas about Don drysdale, Dodgers baseball, Dodgers. What are your thoughts? In 1966, he and Sandy Koufax held out on their contracts, seeking at least $100,000 apiece.

- Dick Groat, "Don Drysdale would consider an intentional walk a waste of three pitches. Why did we mention this here? Don Drysdale holds the Major League record for seasons leading the league in batters hit by a pitch - a practice that today is shunned upon. “When you’re around fans and they start talking baseball, that seems to be the thing they associate with me . If you were born in 1964, chances are exceptionally good that your independent recollection of actually seeing Dodgers Hall of Fame right-hander Don Drysdale pitch live and in-person is extremely vague, as you would have been five years old when he pitched his final game on August 5, 1969. Jun 7, 2015 - Hall of Fame Major League Baseball Player. Drysdale was in his sixth season as a Dodger broadcaster and 22nd as a major league announcer. In addition to his Hall of Fame-appropriate 209-166 career record and remarkable 2.95 career ERA over 14 major league seasons, the Van Nuys, California native had a .186 / .228 / .295 / .523 career slash line with the bat; certainly not batting-title worthy, but excellent numbers for a pitcher. During the 1961 season, Drysdale, one of the more feared pitchers of all-time, hit 20 batters in 244 innings, leading the National League in that category for a fourth consecutive season. Did you know that in 1962, Don Drysdale won twenty-five games and lost only nine, earning him his first (and only one was given that year) Cy Young Award?

Drysdale was 19 years old when he broke into the big leagues on April 17, 1956, with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Drysdale’s broadcasting partners, Vin Scully and Ross Porter, were told of Drysdale’s death shortly before Saturday night’s game against the Montreal Expos, but no announcement was made until immediate relatives could be notified. But mostly, he will be remembered as an athlete of considerable celebrity. Gibson, according to Fergie, was a foot faster than he was. He pitched in five World Series and eight Major League All-Star games. Heading into the 1965 World Series, the only Dodger in the starting lineup hitting .300 was pitcher Don Drysdale.

Because of his celebrity status, there were several incidents in Drysdale’s life that got considerable media attention. One was in Santa Ana, another in Van Nuys and a third in Hawaii. ", "In Brooklyn, it was as though you were in your own little bubble. I believe I was at a Dodger game where Big D batted seventh. A little while ago, we found out what had happened. . If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." After he hit you he'd come around, look at the bruise on your arm and say, 'Do you want me to sign it?'" Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1984 in the same ceremony with Pee Wee Reese. The results from those ten ballots were: 1975 (21.0%), 1976 (29.4%), 1977 (51.4%), 1978 (57.8%), 1979 (53.9%), 1980 (61.8%), 1981 (60.6%), 1982 (56.1%), 1984 (64.7%), and 1984 (78.4%). He also hit seven homers in 1958 and had 29 for his career, second in National League history behind Warren Spahn’s 35. ", "I hate all hitters. Drysdale also worked for ABC while with the Angels through the 1979 season. Their abilities and their attitudes don't back up their beards. Batters hated to face him." Find historical values for graded 1961 Topps Don Drysdale #260 baseball cards by viewing prices sold on eBay and major auctions. Don Drysdale said, "My own little rule was two for one. 58 - Don Drysdale threw fifty-eight consecutive scoreless innings in 1968, breaking the all-time Major League record of 55.2 consecutive scoreless innings thrown by Walter Johnson in 1913. But never have I ever been asked to make an announcement that hurts me as much as this one. He did “The Donna Reed Show” too, along with Willie Mays. Donnie, as he is called, was born July 23, 1987, exactly 51 years after his father. © 2018 Found a Grave, All rights reserved.

. Source: Hall of Fame Yearbook (1989), "Some of these guys wear beards to make them look intimidating, but they don't look so tough when they have to deliver the ball. In the spring of 1989, Drysdale was approached by Gibson, who thanked him. Took part in a publicized salary holdout in the spring of 1966 along with teammate Sandy Koufax. This was somewhere between 1963-1965. Copyright 1999- On Wednesday morning, it was being widely reported on social media that Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association were nearing a decision to add the designated hitter rule to the National League; something that the American League adopted back in 1973 but the National League has long refused to do. I don't know that such a thing exists anymore. No pitcher in Major League history before, or after, has ever thrown six shutouts in a row. "My own little rule was two for one. This ball is gone!! She then gave us each several autographed pictures of Don. In March, 1989, a group headed by Drysdale purchased the Visalia Oaks of the Class-A California League, and at one time he owned a chain of restaurants called Drysdale’s Dugout. @Dodgers MLB just sealed the fate of MLB. Born Sidney Hughes Greenstreet in Sandwich, Kent, England, he was one of eight children whose father was a leather merchant. After the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles in 1958, Drysdale met Ginger Dubberly, 19, of Pasadena, who earlier that year was a Tournament of Roses princess. So they called in Ron Perranoski to finish it. Bill James, in Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame, wrote, "With the possible exception of Bob Gibson, Drysdale was the most intimidating pitcher between Lefty Grove and Rob Dibble. A blood-alcohol test gave a reading of 0.19%. You've got to keep the ball away from the sweet part of the bat. Few ever talk about Drysdale's call, and It's easy to think of it as the third-most important home-run description of that night. "Every time I needed inspiration while working out this winter, I listened to your call," Gibson said. Jan 9, 2020 - Explore Cory Costo's board "DON DRYSDALE" on Pinterest.

Don Drysdale was born on Thursday, July 23, 1936, in Van Nuys, California.

See how his statistics compare to other pitchers who are also enshrined. Drysdale led the National League in hit by pitch a record five seasons, including a record four consecutive. copyright=new Date();