Hanging in the center of Anthropologie’s cross shaped building was a chandelier made out of recycled champagne bottles, suspended by rope to hint at the structure’s historic past. That way, she says, she can keep her prices - from $100 for a silk scarf to $600 for a custom kimono - more affordable. Still, the 27-year-old Philadelphia designer views her triumphant finish last month on Project Runway All Stars as a perfectly timed and much-needed infusion of new resources and energy. URBN also owns two other companies: BHLDN for wedding gowns and accessories and Terrain, a garden and home decor brand. It’s the only way I make it through the next day […]. If you’re between the ages of 15-35 or know anyone who is, I’m sure you’re familiar with Urban Outfitters and its sister brands, Anthropologie and Free People. "It was nice to be able to have time to figure myself out as a designer," Streater said. (No word on whether they have worn them.). OUR GOAL IS TO CREATE LIMITED EDITION PIECES INSPIRED BY GLOBAL TEXTILES, TRAVEL AND HISTORY THAT BEAR LONGEVITY AND WILL TRAVEL WITH YOU ON THE JOURNEYS OF YOUR LIFE. I mean with the exception of Diana Ross so I was like ‘awww’ I want my hair just like Sade.”. IG: @DomStreater "But in the end, I didn't want to regret it.". If it's not advancing her career in a tangible way, she'll say no. The URBN headquarters, or more fittingly, campus, has a central building where employees can grab lunch in the expansive cafeteria, workout in the gym, browse the magazine library or simply admire the koi fish pond. The company decided to renovate dilapidated buildings in Philadelphia’s historic Navy Yard into their very own office buildings. (Christian Siriano's eponymous collection has been sold at Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus, and he has a line at Payless. The $100 million renovation was well worth it; it would be easy to mistake the buildings’ interiors for a modern museum or even one of the company’s own retail stores. To get all of Dom’s hair details we sat at a bench in Washington Square Park, off of 6th and Walnut Street, to learn more about her hair journey. Greater New York City Area. For special offers, one-of-a-kind prizes and more, download the UO app and join UO Rewards! I couldn’t go swimming. If my hair gets wet it’s not the end of the world, pretty much it’s whatever. But she is considering producing some clothes with the help of Betabrand, a crowdfunding site that works with emerging designers to manufacture. ITS PARTY TIME TONIGHT Dom understands the purpose of the style but wearing the actual bantu knots in public is not her thing. dom streater is an american eponymous garment brand, created & led by textile / fashion designer & two time winner of project runway, dom streater. When looking back on her natural hair journey there are a few hair mishaps that have taught Dom a lesson along the way: “Straightening without a heat protectant. So even with the force of Runway behind her, the struggle is real for Streater as she tries to balance what is expected of her with what she can realistically do. Some pieces - an adorable dress - were shapeless all over; others featured close-fitting sleeves: a ball gown silhouette that would look great at a glitzy soiree but that wouldn't be out of place at a movie matinee. ... Dom Streater. And I watch TV and have the light box in my lap and just cut the split ends off.”, When asked what’s a natural hair trend that she can’t stand, it took her some time to think about it and explained why it was bantu knots. For my first Organix Locs profile it was either go big or go home and then I lucked up with scoring an interview with Project Runway’s Season 12 winner Dom Streater thanks to a genius idea from my other blogging half of a boyfriend, AJ, and the lovely employees at Skai Blue Media. I used to spend hours searching for a swim cap so my hair would not get wet. So when I discovered a wide tooth comb and detangling from the bottom up, my hair like turned into a whole different head of hair. ", There have been, however, a few cool celebrity collaborations, including working on a project commissioned by Visit Philly to make a collection of pocket squares, bow ties, and silk scarves with custom sneaker-box designer Kevin McCarthy for Jimmy Fallon and the Roots crew. THE BRAND ABANDONS THE TRADITIONAL WASTEFUL TIMELINE & ARCHITECTURE OF THE FASHION INDUSTRY. COVER STORY: FGI of Philadelphia gets to know Dom Streater. Although the damage was cut from her hair she felt naked without all her hair and ended up buying a hat to make the ride back home more bearable. In the end, it was Streater's eight-piece hand-painted collection inspired by the chaos of New York City that helped her clinch the win. Ad Campaigns and Fashion Editorials August 3, 2015 “The Next Necessities” - Urban Outfitters Lookbook With Model Malaika Firth : Model Malika Firth looks like a cutie pie in the new “The Next Necessities” – Urban Outfitters Lookbook. IT FOCUSES ON THOUGHTFUL CRAFTSMANSHIP OF CURATED GARMENTS, LIFESTYLE ITEMS & OBJECTS. I've had two years of experience doing that," said Streater. The Fashion Group International is a global, non-profit, professional organization with 5000 members in the fashion industry including apparel, accessories, beauty and home. It didn’t hurt [laughs].”. And [my mother] would just go from the top all the way down to the bottom. We are excited to have th, I was surprised when @randibellamy came in for a #, It’s only Tuesday (whoops it’s actually Wednes, Last week I had to level up on my hair cutting gam, BARREN like a tree. Yeah, like it was crazy I never realized how restricted I was from doing certain things when my hair was straight all the time, like when I used to flat iron it I couldn’t go swimming. For my first Organix Locs profile it was either go big or go home and then I lucked up with scoring an interview with Project Runway’s Season 12 winner Dom Streater thanks to a genius idea from my other blogging half of a boyfriend, AJ, and the lovely employees at Skai Blue Media. Another nice touch to the Anthropologie offices was the girl selling snacks out of a bike basket. Although the employees were all hard at work, the environment seemed very relaxed and friendly. "A lot of designers don't get to take all they have learned and essentially start again. Odd Future's official online merchandise and retail store. Not everyone's agenda is about helping you grow your business. Yeah, I didn’t discover that until late in the game […]. It's so expensive.". In the beginning of her hair journey, Dom would shampoo her hair every day because she thought that was the only way she would keep her curls looking great but soon discovered otherwise. the brand abandons the traditional wasteful timeline & architecture of the fashion industry. The tour was incredibly inspirational; I left with a newfound appreciation for finding the beauty in unlikely places, turning unusual objects into works of functional art and not to mention a ton of ideas to revamp my apartment. “It’s the only way my hair will look normal in the morning. (The newlywed is expecting a baby girl next week!) I enjoy the freedom. This was not ok. Since her win, Streater has designed a collection of dresses for Belk, as well as Velodyne headphones. We all know and love Dom for her designs, textiles, and bold mod looks but I couldn’t help but realize how freaking AMAZING her naturally curly hair is! United States. Our Music + Tech collection is a go-to destination for vinyl, record players and tech accessories. [Laughs] you know what I mean? Editor Diary: Dom Streater Wins Project Runway All Stars; Editor’s Diary: Say Hue? She works with only one other person to sew all of the pieces in her collection. She’s thinking about doing something to the hair for next fashion week! HUB FOR NEED TO KNOW UPDATES ON THE DOM STREATER BRAND And out of her thousands of customers, she does cite a few high-profile clients, such as LaTanya Richardson (Samuel L. Jackson's wife) and Lisa Nutter. Dom Streater Senior Designer at Urban Outfitters. To keep up with Dom Streater and all of her fashion and design updates, or to purchase her SS14 collection go to www.shopdomstreater.com Image is everything! THE LINE IS CURRENTLY CRAFTED AND CURATED BY DOM IN HER STUDIO IN PHILADELPHIA. Her hair would become tangled from it being dry and over cleansing until she learned that she didn’t need too shampoo her hair that often. To my surprise Dom’s hair has not always been curly because just like some of us we once enjoyed the ‘relaxer’ life once upon a time. Follow, share and shop @UrbanOutfitters. Then one day she realized how bad her hair sucked and wanted to cut it off for a fresh start. Each of the URBN brands has its own unique vibe that caters to a distinct market. Sign up to receive Urban Outfitters emails and get first dibs on new arrivals, sales, exclusive content, events and more! Urban Outfitters is a lifestyle retailer dedicated to inspiring customers through a unique combination of product, creativity and cultural understanding. Well there you have it from Organix Locs first! "I had two years to figure out who I want to sell to and what I want to make," Streater said from her home in the city's Fairmount section. Now that she’s been fully natural Dom describes her hair as being in the 3C 4A category but really fine. On Thursday, January 22nd, I had the pleasure of touring the URBN headquarters at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, arranged by Fashion Group International Philadelphia.