**For the best user experience, we recommend disabling the Reddit redesign. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, The subreddit for the bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of nine players. It happened to Tim Thomas, I'm sure Brady will get the same treatment. Follow him on Instagram and Twitter. Trevor Hoffman got in on his third try and Rivera his first, but Wagner didn’t reach the same stature as those two. They were both just under 60% last year. **For the best user experience, we recommend disabling the Reddit redesign. Curt Schilling missed out on making the Baseball Hall of Fame by five percent. Baseball does not need Curt Schilling to make the Hall of Fame. A pitcher that was indeed a force during his days as a ballplayer, but is he a certified selection for Cooperstown? Among the pitchers who pitched longer than Schilling but rank lower on JAWS are Nolan Ryan, Jim Palmer, and Bob Feller. Schilling clearly has the numbers and resume to merit an election. Do what everyone in Baseball knows is right!". Will Curt … You’ve literally described the reason you were fired. The former Philadelphia Phillies, Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox pitcher showed up on 70% of ballots for a spot in Cooperstown. As someone who hasn’t followed baseball in a long time but was a huge fan of him and randy in the 2001 World Series, learning this about schilling is devastating. and the 2007 World Series title. Prior to his firing he had received a suspension in 2015 for sharing a post on Twitter that compared Muslims to the Nazis. Schilling became Curt Schilling with the Phillies, established his value and early career success. Take it with a grain of salt. Schilling is an outspoken supporter of President Trump, who is a big fan of the former pitcher. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are approaching their final years, gaining more and more votes. He's not as good as Greg Maddux, who will easily make it this year. Because the BBWAA goes a little nuts with all of this. Here’s the other thing, Curt… you just did both of those things in the action that caused your termination. ___ the "Ty Cobb scumbag" theory has been pretty much debunked though, https://calltothepen.com/2017/02/26/the-truth-about-ty-cobb/, doesn't mean there arent plenty of other scumbags in the hall but most of the wildly offensive stuff you hear about Cobb was at best an exaggeration and at worst completely made up. A total "ME" guy. Schilling. Falling just 20 votes short of the 75% threshold, Curt Schilling's Hall of Fame Problem continues for another year. I'm sure lots of guys in the Hall were pretty shitty human beings, but at the end of the day it's the Baseball Hall of Fame, emphasis on baseball. Learn how your comment data is processed. He's 9th all-time for bWAR after that age, though. Barry Bonds (60.7%) and Roger Clemens (61%) also missed out on making the Hall of Fame. Curt Schilling went from “I don’t believe this, that’s not me” to “I 100% believe that” at the drop of a hat. America's Pastime. If Schilling were to be inducted, he would be the 70th ranked pitcher in terms of ERA. And then years before we had Dan Le Batard sell his Cooperstown ballot to Deadspin. Agreed. As if there arent complete racists in the hall now. Home » Sports » Baseball » Curt Schilling’s Hall of Fame Problem. From there, Three Up, Three Down grew from a hobby to an obsession. What the man says and believes should not have any effect on whether or not he belongs to be recognized by baseball. '99-'02 saw Randy Johnson win 4 Cy Youngs in a row (funnily enough, he came in 7th in '98 despite only being in the NL for 2 months after being traded to Houston*). Schilling was one of the better postseason pitchers of all-time, going 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA in the postseason. Curt. Jeter and Larry Walker are going into the Hall this year. Not a bad comparison. Would he go in as a Diamondback? All rights reserved. OOTL, I'm only aware of his baseball accolades, what causes the human garbage comparison? He had twelve wins above replacement through age 28 after making his debut at age 21. ___ We’re at an impasse within the Hall of Fame voting. This is one of the more fascinating discussions should he ever be elected (he should, but we know the voters by now). Has A Rare Final Round That Surprised Alex Trebek, 20-Year-Old Woman Arrested After High-Speed Chase On Mass. Easily. Schilling spent 20 years in the majors, going 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA (127 ERA+), 1.14 WHIP and 3,116 strikeouts against only 668 … It was Jeter's first year on the ballot. That Curt Schilling is the stuff of legend, he’s mythic and he’s nasty. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. His problem was living in an era where Pedro and Randy pitched. A pitcher that was indeed a force during his days as a ballplayer, but is he a certified selection for Cooperstown? "I think I was pretty good," Schilling said. New title for the article: People watching popularity contest upset that unpopular person isn’t voted in. He was a hell of a pitcher. Yes. "Today is about the two men who were voted into the MLB HOF," he tweeted. Schilling is one of my most despised players, on and off the field, of all time. I know, it’s like ...we use dollars now, man. The Closer is the easiest position, all it requires you to do is get three outs. Schilling is no stranger to controversy. Your email address will not be published. Loved watching him pitch but to know where he stands is really earth shattering. In addition to JAWS, several other metrics have Schilling in the HOF: Black Ink Pitching - 42 (36), Average HOFer ≈ 40, Gray Ink: Pitching - 205 (36), Average HOFer ≈ 185, Hall of Fame Monitor: Pitching - 171 (34), Likely HOFer ≈ 100, Hall of Fame Standards: Pitching - 46 (48), Average HOFer ≈ 50. Rivera was elected unanimously in 2019, when he was inducted along with Roy Halladay, Edgar Martinez and Mike Mussina. It's not like the dude is a criminal or some shit. But I think when people sit back and reflect on Schilling, their first thought is to his time with the Red Sox and those two World Series winning years. '04 was when Johan Santana was the Cy Young. Walker made the Hall this year in his final year on the ballot, completing a remarkable rise after he received only 10.2% of the vote in 2014. Curt Schilling answers both of those questions, on the complete opposite sides of the world, and that’s the reason he should be left out of the Hall of Fame. I'm not going to be broken up if he doesn't get in, though. The Hall of Fame Ballot is always one of contention, of anguish and of rage. Mike Trout You tweeted that out with a picture of Adolf Hitler. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. That's the second highest among any ML pitcher in history with at least 2500 IP, behind only Tommy Bond, the great Jacksonville Red Caps ace who threw 3600 innings with a .49 bb/9 and 2.18 k/9.