Services, Figurative Language in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Imagery in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Analysis & Examples, Foreshadowing in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Rhetorical Devices in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Examples of Personification in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Allusions in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Motifs in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Metaphors in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Similes in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Hyperbole in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Point of View in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Symbols in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Parallelism in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. In this lesson, we'll take a look at some examples of rhetorical devices in Maya Angelou's, ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings''. This analysis shows that this poem has used literary devices to point out the importance of freedom before the Civil War era and even now. It is, in fact, the conceit, or extended, controlling metaphor of the entire poem. Read More. Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning. Copied material from elsewhere will be deleted by forum moderators. I think Angelou uses metaphors and juxtaposition pointedly in her poem to convey the idea that the freedom of the free bird is a natural state of living and the knowledge the caged bird has of that life can not be undone by any amount of oppression, entrapment or limitation of opportunity. Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the literary devices of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. Although most of the poetic devices are part of literary devices, yet some devices are only used in poems. A free bird leaps on the back Of the wind and floats downstream Till the current ends and dips his wing In the orange suns rays And dares to claim the sky. Angelou uses this literary device to paint a vivid picture of her childhood in the American South.

Imagery, foreshadowing and rhetorical devices in the novel, Allusions, motifs, metaphors and similes in, Uses of hyperbole, irony and point of view in the novel, Historical & Literary Context of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Literary Analysis, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Character Analysis, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter Summaries. Some of the major literary devices have been analyzed below. Poetry is one of the more mysterious denizens of the literary world.

English Thesis Paper

The poet has repeated the third stanza later in the poem to emphasize the distressed condition of the downtrodden people. How old was Maya Angelou when she started... Who is Maya Angelou? A line that is repeated twice in the poem is, “The caged bird sings a fearful trill, of things unknown but longed for still”.

Introduction In literary criticism, a Bildungsroman (German pronunciation: [ˈbɪldʊŋs.ʁoˌmaːn]; German: "novel of formation, education, culture"),[a] novel of formation, novel of education,[2] or coming-of-age story (though it may also be known as a subset of the coming-of-age story) is a literary genre that focuses on the psychological and moral growth of the protagonist from youth to adulthood (coming of age),[3] in which, Literary Analysis Of The Caged Bird By Maya Angelou, After reading the first two stanzas of the poem Caged Bird by Maya Angelou, in which the free bird is compared to the caged bird, it immediately evoked thoughts of the struggle of African Americans compared to the lifestyle of white Americans. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. In this lesson, we will examine Maya Angelou's use of hyperbole in her autobiography 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.'.

In this lesson, we'll examine a few examples of metaphors in Maya Angelou's descriptive account of her childhood in the autobiography ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings''. The caged bird continues to sing of freedom in spite of his imprisonment because he knows of freedom and desires to feel what it is like to be the free bird. When was I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings... What did Maya Angelou do to make a difference in... What prestigious awards did Maya Angelou earn? All rights reserved.

What is the grave of dreams? ‘It is time for parents to teach young people early, society itself. Visit the I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Study Guide page to learn more.

This lesson takes a look at a few great examples of similes from this book.

This paper analyzes Maya Angelou's poem under the theme of 'freedom' through two literary devices: tone and choice of words. 1387 Words 6 Pages. Privacy & Cookie Policy. Enjoy eNotes ad-free and cancel anytime.

Literary Analysis Of The Caged Bird By Maya Angelou; Literary Analysis Of The Caged Bird By Maya Angelou.

In this poem, the “caged bird” is a metaphor for the poet herself. Her grandmother was the only black store owner within a very segregated community, so it became a gathering point for the black people in the area. Alliteration (repetition of consonant sounds at the beginning of nearby words) is used in places like — - Definition & Writing Style, Emilia in Othello: Character Analysis & Quotes, The Imagist Movement: Poems, Examples & Key Poets, Postmodernism in Literature: Definition & Examples, The American Transcendentalists: Values & Explanation, Theater of the Absurd: Definition & Characteristics, Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God: Summary & Analysis, 9th Grade English: Homework Help Resource, Education 102: Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School, Middle School Language Arts: Lessons & Help, STAAR Reading - Grade 7: Test Prep & Practice, HiSET Language Arts - Reading: Prep and Practice, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Study Guide, Common Core ELA - Informational Text Grades 9-10: Standards, Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide, CUNY Assessment Test in Reading: Practice & Study Guide, Biological and Biomedical

Create your account.

In this lesson, we will identify Maya Angelou's usage of various allusions in her autobiography ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings''.

Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience.

Study Guide Navigation; About I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings; I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Summary; Character List; Glossary; Themes; Quotes and Analysis; Summary And Analysis. This lesson will explore Angelou's use of the literary device of foreshadowing. What is the meaning of "bars of rage" mentioned in the second stanza?

Join Englicist Pro Membership – unlock all answers, quizzes, ebooks & no ads. It was there, Song Analysis Of Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror, Compare And Contrast The Destructors And Young Goodman Brown, The Causes Of Teenage Suicide In High School, Dramatic Meaning Of Fly In Fly Out By Robert Kronk, Supernatulation, Paranoia And Actipulation In William Shakespeare's Macbeth. Cite this page.

But a BIRD that stalks down his narrow cage Can seldom see through his bars of rage His wings are clipped and his feet are tied So he opens his throat to sing.

Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study The “caged bird” represents the misery and distress of all those African-Americans who had to face inhuman treatment during the apartheid.

Some of the major literary devices have been analyzed below. Earn Transferable Credit & Get your Degree. The poet has used a number of poetic devices in the poem “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings”. Robert A. In Maya Angelou’s autobiography, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, she recounts her early years as a young girl growing up in Stamps, Arkansas who faces displacement, trauma, and prejudice. Alliteration: Alliteration is a literary device in which a series of words begin with the same consonant sound. Biological and Biomedical

Poetic devices used in the poem “Caged Bird” by Maya Angelou.

It becomes a mixed metaphor, or incongruous comparison, when the wind "floats downstream till the current ends.

Services, Working Scholars® Bringing Tuition-Free College to the Community. The free bird thinks of another breeze And the trade winds soft through The sighing trees And the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright Lawn and he names the sky his own.

Earn Transferable Credit & Get your Degree.

This gave Angelou her first taste of the injustices she would spend her whole life trying to right.

Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.

In Maya Angelou's, ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'', simile is used to help the reader imagine or understand the author's meaning. answer!

Can I Study an MBA Without Business Knowledge? © copyright 2003-2020 Study.com. That is why this poem is seen as an autobiographical representation of the condition she and her community was in. Maya Angelou tells of the first years of her life in her autobiography 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.'

Maya Angelou and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings; The Struggle for Self: Oppression's Effect on Identity