The Capitals are accepting of each other’s differences of opinion on going to the White House and say this isn’t a divisive issue and won’t be a distraction.

Several other players, including Russian captain Alex Ovechkin, Americans T.J. Oshie and John Carlson and American coach Todd Reirden have said they’re going. ), and eventually hope that this won’t feel so sad. Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby announced Friday that he will not join the team in visiting President Donald Trump at the White House.. Holtby … The 38-year-old became an unrestricted agent when the New York Rangers bought out the final season of his seven-year contract. Reddit; Pocket; Flipboard; Email ; Photo by Mitchell Layton/NHLI via Getty Images. On Friday, Holtby said he was satisfied with what he had achieved in Washington. By: FTW Staff, The South Carolina Gamecocks will host the Auburn Tigers in SEC action on Saturday afternoon from Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South (…), “For me, it’s just a personal thing. The Caps surprised everyone when they signed free agent and former Penguin Justin Schultz to a two-year deal. *visit For The Win: https://www.ftw.usatoday.com

“But in the end, I think there’s more important things I can do in the future. At the time, General Manager Brian MacLellan said Holtby was a big part of the team’s success and was “in the mix with [Alex Ovechkin] and Nick as defining our organization.” In a Friday statement, MacLellan thanked Holtby and said the goaltender had “built a legacy both on and off the ice that will have a lasting impact on our organization and community.”. Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby announced Friday that he will not join the team in visiting President Donald Trump at the White House. “It’s like when we’re not playing well, guys aren’t yelling at each other and getting upset with each other. “Just the people there that we’ve met, the team, the organization, the amount of ups and downs we’ve went through. You really know that is true when you are in a situation like that. JOIN OUR NEWSLETTERS, This website uses cookies. A vast majority of the team is expected to tour of the White House and meet Trump in the Oval Office in a private ceremony. People that are friends vote for different people.”. Since then, the Holtby brood has grown attached to Walker.

Some goodbyes are just harder than others. Reirden, who was Barry Trotz’s top assistant when Washington won last season and has succeeded him as coach, said he has thought about visiting the White House while driving by it on Constitution Avenue, the same road the Capitals paraded down with hockey’s historic trophy. I hope everyone kind of blows it away and don’t worry about who goes, who doesn’t.”, TOP STORIES The Capitals told players that the decision on whether to attend the White House event was up to them. You want to stick together no matter what. If that’s something they want to do, great. like March 22, 2019 12:23 pm. President Trump will host the team March 25 to honor their 2018 Stanley Cup victory. All were hallmarks of his time as a Capital - as they were for his wife, Brandi, whose voice could be heard just as loud if not louder every time he spoke up, and she, too, will be missed around here. Brandi Holtby, nee Bodnar, is the wife of Washington Capitals goaltender, Braden Holtby.The Capitals are Stanley Cup champions, winning the … WASHINGTON (AP) — The news is constantly on television at the Washington Capitals’ practice facility, and like any workplace, there’s no shortage of opinions. With the Capitals facing salary cap constraints — the upper limit for next season is set at $81.5 million, unchanged from this past season — they repeatedly emphasized that it would be difficult to re-sign Holtby. DO YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE TRENDY NEWS AND UPDATE AROUND THE WORLD? Friday, March 22, 2019, Emboldened Antifa increasingly violent as national profile rises, Quiz: Man-made and natural disasters test, North Korea’s new missile able to target U.S. unveiled to send message to Trump, analysts say, Israel’s unease over F-35 sales to UAE tests new relations, How To: Fix Dark Spots And Uneven Skin Tones, Matt Gaetz tweets out entire Hunter Biden story line by line to evade Twitter block, FBI investigating possible Russian connection to purported Hunter Biden laptop: Reports, Hunter Biden demanded Chinese billionaire pay $10 million for 'introductions alone,' emails show, Click Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019. He’s quick to point out that even players who are going can agree with Holtby, but still want to experience one last Stanley Cup celebration. “Guys are mature about it,” said Tom Wilson, who is Canadian. “It’s an experience that I want to be a part of and see through,” Carlson said. Holtby, a Canadian, has been an active supporter of LGBT rights. Several other players, including Ovechkin, Americans T.J. Oshie and John Carlson and American coach Todd Reirden, have said they’re going. He is skipping the event because friend and former teammate Devante Smith-Pelly, now in the American Hockey League in a salary cap move, was opposed to going. Smith-Pelly has been with the minor league Hershey Bears since late February. “This year has been tough kind of knowing all along that it was probably the end,” Holtby said. The free agent goalie market was deep this offseason with Lundqvist, Jacob Markstrom, Anton Khudobin, Thomas Greiss, Cam Talbot, Corey Crawford and Holtby available when the unconventional offseason began. And it isn’t just because he and his family have become important voices in the community, although the importance of him using his voice and then backing it up with actions time and time again can’t be underestimated.

Trying to make a stand this way, I don’t think it does the most in terms of creating change. No formal ceremony is planned. A vast majority of the team that won the first NHL title in franchise history is expected to tour of the White House and meet Trump in the Oval Office in a private ceremony. Canadians Braden Holtby and Brett Connolly said they’d respectfully decline the invitation. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp, the date of which has still not been set.

Braden Holtby started his career in Canada, but moved to the United States for hockey.

He did not travel with the team to Toronto for the postseason and instead stayed in Washington to undergo treatment. Now the team will move on without him, welcoming new faces and turning to second-year standout Ilya Samsonov, who is expected to take over the No. It’s not just that Holtby was a part of the legendary 2018 Stanley Cup championship team, although that’s plenty of reason to feel sad in and of itself. Since the news broke on Friday that Capitals free-agent goalie Braden Holtby had signed with the Vancouver Canucks, there has been an outpouring of support and reminiscences of his time in Washington. “My family and myself, we believe in a world where humans are treated with respect, regardless of your stature, what you’re born into,” Holtby said. “We accomplished what we wanted to do there,” Holtby said. 3 min read “That was home,” Holtby told reporters on a video conference call. #ALLCAPS #CapsWild pic.twitter.com/LPX7pQ2suG. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File), Connect with the definitive source for global and local news. The Bruins lost to the Capitals in the first round of the playoffs in 2012, which was Thomas’ last season with Boston because he was traded to Florida. here for reprint permission, Ozuna mishap costs Braves as World Series wait continues, Washington’s benching of Haskins contrasts with Giants’ backing of Jones, Rivera on possible Haskins trade: “We’ll cross those bridges as we get to them’. FBI investigating possible Russian connection to purported Hunter Biden laptop: Reports “I’m backing them.

Click to Read More Coach Todd Reirden told reporters he personally considered the White House invitation “an amazing opportunity,” but he’s also expressed support for his players who chose not to go. During his tenure in Washington, Holtby’s contributions off the ice were as significant as they were on it. They’re allowed to make their own decisions. ADVERTISEMENT.

Holtby, Home and Family Braden Holtby grew up in a quiet farm community in Marshall near Lloydminster and Lashburn, Saskatchewan; the son of Greg and Tami and sibling to older sister Taryn, a member of the Saskatchewan curling team. Visit our, Ed Woodward ‘SPOKE AGAINST £14.95 PPV’, Haaland and Sancho still top targets – The Sun, Sir Steve McQueen speaks out on the future of the film industry, Stream, TV channel, team news, kick off time for TONIGHT’S Box Office match – The Sun, Arsenal player ratings vs Man City: Gabriel superb but Aubameyang and Pepe poor in defeat | Football | Sport, The most memorable Toronto movies and TV shows from the 1980s, Remember that fake news you read?

Soon enough Holtby will have a new team and become just a part of Capitals’ history... albeit a pretty big part of it. I think that we did — we accomplished what we wanted to, and now this year coming up, it’s time to move that drive and that energy into new things.”. “It was kind of strange,” Holtby said. That’s something that is very important to that city, that organization and to my time there. “It’s no different than anybody else. Even understanding why he has to go, and knowing that it is likely the best next step for both player and team, doesn’t make this situation any easier. It is always going to hold that special place in my family’s heart. I believe in what I believe in, and in order to stick to those values, I think I have to do what I feel is right, but that doesn’t make a difference on everyone else’s decision.