He has a .823 OPS with decision time quickly coming up. The Giants must decide if they’ll go with Rivera, who has been there before, or see if Garcia can continue his progress at the big-league level. A second opinion determined that he needed arthroscopic surgery to repair his labrum. "It's a long Spring Training. Garcia was so committed to making changes that after he got married in the offseason, he spent the first six weeks of marriage traveling to Santa Clarita on weekends to work on his swing. Garcia expected to miss six to eight months after hip surgery, Posey's likely backup injured, could miss 2020, Getting to Oracle Park around Chase Center Events. A lot of things can happen. Garcia is expected to miss six to eight months. SAN FRANCISCO -- Three days before pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to Spring Training, the Giants on Saturday delivered bad news on catcher Aramís García, who appeared to be in line to serve as Buster Posey’s backup this year. Garcia (hip) was placed on the 60-day injured list Tuesday.. San Francisco has placed injured catcher Aramis Garcia on … Maria Guardado covers the Giants for MLB.com. Garcia primarily has been focused on working the middle of the field, and during the first couple of weeks of batting practice this spring, he repeatedly peppered the gaps and went the other way with ease and power. The Spaniard was left motionless on the pitch after the Brazilian caught him while attempting to clear the ball The Giants could seek more catching depth in the wake of Garcia’s injury, though three non-roster invitees-- Tyler Heineman, Rob Brantly and Chadwick Tromp-- remain in the backup mix. “They’ve always brought veterans in, and I enjoy it. Pep Guardiola has confirmed that Eric Garcia is conscious after his injury in Manchester City’s win over Arsenal. "It's a long spring training. The Giants could seek more catching depth in the wake of Garcia’s injury, though three non-roster invitees -- Tyler Heineman, Rob Brantly and Chadwick Tromp -- remain in the backup mix. Garcia has two homers this spring, including one off the scoreboard against the A’s last weekend. Maria Guardado covers the Giants for MLB.com. No matter what I say now, I know he's going to really impress people. By the time Garcia was injured, Pep Guardiola had used all of his five substitutions and 11 minutes of injury time were added on after his lengthy on-field treatment. With Aramis Garcia out for 2020, it's worth wondering if San Francisco Giants top prospect Joey Bart now has a chance to make the roster. • LHP Drew Pomeranz placed on … Garcia (hip) is ramping up his baseball activity, Maria I. Guardado of MLB.com reports.. I agree that CBS Sports can send me the "Fantasy Baseball Today Newsletter" newsletter. at “There were some inefficiencies in my swing that I had to clean up.”. Last year, they were able to add Kratz and Tom Murphy on the way out of Scottsdale. She previously covered the Angels from 2017-18. The young catcher spent part of September questioning teammates about private hitting coaches they used in the offseason. They left the door open, not re-signing Nick Hundley, in part because of what Garcia showed in September. Heineman, a switch-hitter, could be the new front-runner after joining the organization on a Minor League deal last month. Eric Garcia: Man City defender suffers head injury after clash with Ederson. Giants: Does Aramis Garcia's injury … Garcia, 27, injured his right hip while playing winter. “I just knew that I had to make some adjustments,” he said. The injury is a brutal break for Garcia, a 27-year-old who was set back by serious injuries in the minors. Follow her on Twitter. The Giants need a durable backup early because Buster Posey will be slow-played, and Garcia and veteran Rene Rivera have separated from what originally was a large pack. Joey Bart, the Giants’ top prospect in the MLB Pipeline rankings, also will be back in big league camp this spring, though president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi has said that he doesn’t view the 23-year-old as a candidate for the Opening Day roster. Garcia, 27, injured his right hip while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic in December and underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair the labrum this week. Garcia appeared in 37 games for the Giants over the last two seasons, batting .229 over 111 plate appearances in the Majors, but he was poised to take on a bigger role with the club following the departure of Stephen Vogt, who signed with the D-backs in November. The Giants could add catching depth during camp, or wait and see which veterans get cut as rosters are set. He is recovering from a right hip labrum repair procedure and continues to rehab in Scottsdale. Garcia's absence leaves three non-roster invitees battling to back up Posey: Tyler Heineman, Rob Brantly and Chad Tromp. "It's a long spring training. You get to work with guys that have been around and you can pick up on things. As for the other non-roster invitee in camp, top prospect Joey Bart is not expected to be part of the competition to back up Posey. The move made room on the Giants' 40-man roster for the team to claim Jose Siri off waivers from Seattle on Tuesday. Heineman, a switch-hitter who got into five games with the Marlins last season, seemed the likely competition for Garcia and now could have an inside track on the job. The 27-year-old suffered the injury playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic and has been given a 6-to-8 month timetable for a recovery, which would allow the catcher to return to game action for the last few weeks of the season in August at best. Heineman, a switch-hitter, could be the new front-runner after joining the organization on … Garcia expected to miss six to eight months after hip surgery, Posey's likely backup injured, could miss 2020. He made his Major League debut with the Marlins in September and went 3-for-11 over five games. "That could change, but as things stand right now, with the injury he had last year -- maybe if that had been different and he was further along it might be different -- but we still see him as someone we'd like to see get reps," Zaidi said Thursday. “The power has been really impressive.”. Garcia is expected to miss six to eight months. He is expected to miss six to eight months, which could sideline him for the entire 2020 season. Aramis Garcia C. Status 60-day il. He’s eager to build off that, and he’s enjoyed a month-long competition for the backup job. SAN FRANCISCO -- Three days before pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to Spring Training, the Giants on Saturday delivered bad news on catcher Aramís García, who appeared to be in line to serve as Buster Posey’s backup this year. Please check the opt-in box to acknowledge that you would like to subscribe. All Rights Reserved. The 28-year-old batted .336 with a .990 OPS and 13 home runs over 73 games at the Triple-A level last year. He made his Major League debut with the Marlins in September and went 3-for-11 over five games. Garcia (hip) was placed on the 60-day injured list Tuesday. No matter what I say now, I know he's going to really impress people.". Aramis Garcia, the front-runner to back up catcher Buster Posey on Opening Day, had surgery Thursday to repair the labrum in his right hip. Heineman, a switch-hitter, could be the new front-runner after joining the organization on a Minor League deal last month. 6-keys: media/fantasynews/mlb/reg/free/stories. Aramis Garcia, the front-runner to back up catcher Buster Posey on Opening Day, had surgery Thursday to repair the labrum in his right hip. The 28-year-old batted .336 with a .990 OPS and 13 home runs over 73 games at the Triple-A level last year. SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Nobody upped their stock last September more than Aramis Garcia, who hit four homers in a late-season audition and impressed the staff with how far he has come defensively. Vogt now is with the Diamondbacks, and president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said earlier this offseason that he was looking forward to giving Garcia an opportunity to prove himself. “That’s been a real revelation to me,” Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said after his first extended look at Garcia. Status Day-to-day. SAN FRANCISCO -- Three days before the start of camp, the Giants announced that one key backup will be missing from a spirited competition, and likely for the entire 2020 season. Garcia also worked with hitting coach Alonzo Powell at the team facility in Scottsdale. With Aramis Garcia out for 2020, it's worth wondering if San Francisco Giants top prospect Joey Bart now has a chance to make the roster. The Giants want him to start the year in Triple-A. Garcia, 27, injured his right hip while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic in December and underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair the labrum this week. Garcia appeared in 37 games for the Giants over the last two seasons, batting .229 over 111 plate appearances in the Majors, but he was poised to take on a bigger role with the club following the departure of Stephen Vogt, who signed with the D-backs in November. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: fantasynews | arena: mlb | pageType: stories | SAN FRANCISCO -- Three days before the start of camp, the Giants announced that one key backup will be missing from a spirited competition, and likely for the entire 2020 season. SAN FRANCISCO -- Three days before the start of camp, the Giants announced that one key backup will be missing from a spirited competition, and likely for the entire 2020 season. Things were looking good for Garcia with Low-A Augusta, as he slashed .273/.350/.467 in 83 games before being promoted to High-A San Jose. The Giants could seek more catching depth in the wake of Garcia’s injury, though three non-roster invitees-- Tyler Heineman, Rob Brantly and Chadwick Tromp-- remain in the backup mix. Aramis Garcia, the front-runner to back up catcher Buster Posey on Opening Day, had surgery Thursday to repair the labrum in his right hip. Garcia (hip) is ramping up his baseball activity, Maria I. Guardado of MLB.com reports. As for the other non-roster invitee in camp, top prospect Joey Bart is not expected to be part of the competition to back up Posey. The Giants want him to start the year in Triple-A. "That could change, but as things stand right now, with the injury he had last year -- maybe if that had been different and he was further along it might be different -- but we still see him as someone we'd like to see get reps," Zaidi said. Aramis Garcia rumors, injuries, and news from the best local newspapers and sources | # 16 Garcia had hoped to get a head start on this year's competition by playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic, but he got hurt his first week there. Garcia remains unlikely to return this season after undergoing labrum surgery on his right hip in February. Find out all of the player trades, signings and free agency information at FOX Sports. Stephen Vogt eventually should enter the mix, but he likely won’t be ready for Opening Day as he recovers from a shoulder injury. ", Giants' Aramis Garcia has hip surgery, could miss entire 2020 season originally appeared on NBC Sports Bay Area. SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Nobody upped their stock last September more than Aramis Garcia, who hit four homers in a late-season audition and impressed the staff with how far he has come defensively. Covering the impact of coronavirus on the sports world. But even in the midst of that run, Garcia knew he had a lot more work to do. • C Aramis Garcia recalled from AAA Sacramento. But even in the midst of that run, Garcia knew he had a lot more work to do. © 2004-2020 CBS Interactive. “I didn’t expect them to just give (me the job),” he said. A lot of things can happen. The move made room on the Giants' 40-man roster for the team to claim Jose Siri off waivers from Seattle on Tuesday. Garcia had hoped to get a head start on this year's competition by playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic, but he got hurt his first week there. It’s just great being able to be around these guys.”. The Giants could add catching depth during camp, or wait and see which veterans get cut as rosters are set. "That could change, but as things stand right now, with the injury he had last year -- maybe if that had been different and he was further along it might be different -- but we still see him as someone we'd like to see get reps," Zaidi said Thursday.