However, as with many other linguistic corruptions, usage of none with the plural has become an acceptable part of the language due to its long usage, as mentioned in the Usage Note of the American Heritage Dictionary: Usage Note: It is widely asserted that none is equivalent to no one, and hence requires a singular verb and singular pronoun: None of the prisoners was given his soup. Zero of us are as smart as all of us. Plus people play with language to achieve effects, and one of the ways they do it is by sounding wrong so people will pay attention. One IS smarter. If you like, you can take it as short for. Positive quantifiers are either singular in verb agreement, like each and every, or plural, like all. He previously worked at Yahoo! I would even say "None of them are armed". They believe that the quote is correct when it uses the word "is". A message the film makes very clear is that each spinal cord injury is highly individual, and that there’s no universal level of recovery people can hit, and that’s particularly reinforced by these other stories. In this case, however, I believe "is" is more appropriate to stress the meaning that no individual is as smart as the collective all of us. Right from the start, Any One Of Us illustrates how quickly life can change. You could also say, "Feel free to talk to any of us." Choosing between singular or plural is thus more of a stylistic matter than a grammatical one. Would the solid material inside an airship displace air and be counted towards lift? There is little justification, historical or So its subject agreement is entirely arbitrary. But I think the point of this quote from OOD is that usage can easily trump etymology as the justification of grammar. It is widespread in the works of respectable writers today. "None" is just short for "no one". My friend Ken Blanchard has a saying, “All of us are smarter than any one of us.” We work in teams, whether that group is our family, our co-workers, or our community. Listen to Gareth Gates Anyone Of Us (Stupid Mistake) MP3 song. which is meant to contrast individual intelligence with groupthink, Myridon Senior Member. None of us are as smart as all of us. plural verb: none of them is coming tonight rather than none of them Average viewership for the LCS is still under three million viewers. It can mean either 'not all of us are going', or 'all of us are staying away'. Most viewers might prefer more of a sports documentary without politics as the backdrop. It tells an important story, and does so in a remarkable way. And I knew I wasn’t the only person that didn’t know about that situation, so I thought it would be important to showcase those things that go behind closed doors. If it quantifies a plural noun phrase, as in none of us, then it's equivalent to the negation of a universal quantifier in many cases. Hate it. You can either choose its plurality to be ambiguous "there is/are none that I like", or you can choose to treat it like 'zero', which is non-singular "there are none that I like" == "there is not one that I like". After the huge ratings success for The Match 2 this spring, a third one was inevitable. Yes. Any one is similar to any. which implies 'anyone' or maybe more than one at any time. I mean, I sure am not, but this is open and shut. If you like, you can take it as short for. (Albeit sometimes ambiguously, where either would fit). XX can talk to all the participants of the group. I disagree: I take "not one" [and therefore also "none"] in this context to mean "not even one individual within some group". Limiting the number of lines of org babel result. But the stories from him and others presented here illustrate many of the challenges out there for SCI survivors, and Any One Of Us helps shine a light on these injuries and what they can mean.