For an Airdrieonians Match: 9,044 v Glasgow Rangers League One, 23rd August 2013, For The Stadium: St Mirren v Hamilton Academical 9,612, Challenge Cup Final, 5th November 2005, Average Attendance 2018-2019: 764 (League One) 2018-2019: 643 (League One) 2017-2018: 768 (League One).

Only at this stage did I notice any appreciable noise from the fans although a bust of tannoy music signals each home goal. 300 Tsd. A sort of franchise of Clydebank subsequently created Airdrie United who latterly have formally re-adopted the Airdrie/Airdrieonians identity. Getting away was fine. Having replied to the query “where are you from?” a friendly chat culminated with me exiting with eight other unsolicited complementary Airdrieonians publications. From Drumgelloch station, proceed up to the top of the station car park and exit in the top left corner. Foreigners: 5 20.0 %. In addition to the executive match-viewing boxes that look onto the pitch, the stadium boasts conference and banqueting facilities, with six separate spaces and a public bar being situated within the main (Jack Dalziel) stand. | | ... you can find the address of the stadium, access information, special features, prices in the stadium and name rights. The atmosphere did make me smile. when the club rebranded in 2012.

Overall I'd recommend anyone to make the visit and hopefully, have as great a day as I did. A shout out to the gents toilets in the stand as well as they are bigger and much more spacious than many grounds I've been to. [5], Queen's Park used Excelsior Stadium as their regular home ground while Hampden Park was being converted for use as an athletics stadium in the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

It is the home ground of Airdrieonians F.C. [48] As Airdrie were runners up in the previous season's Second Division promotion play-offs, they were promoted to the Scottish First Division. Visit the website below to see how much you can save on the price of your tickets: Airdrieonians FC fixture list (takes you to the BBC Sports Website). Last Updated: August 3, 2019. The ground seats 10,101[1] and, as well as hosting Airdrieonians first and youth team games, Motherwell Under 20s games and various local amateur sides, it has also played host to Scottish Challenge Cup finals in 1999 and 2005, as well as Scotland under-21 fixtures and Old Firm reserve matches. Sean Crighton says the Diamonds are ready for action as the competitive season gets underway against Alloa Athletic tomorrow - seven months to the day after a ball was last kicked in anger. It was a top of the league table clash so I suppose it was always going to be a close affair. Airdrie play their home fixtures at Excelsior Stadium, also unofficially known as New Broomfield, and for sponsorship reasons as the Penny Cars stadium. Stadium Guide Seating Plan . After big financial cutbacks saw all players released in May 2010,[38] it was announced the club would be operating on a part-time basis. McBride departed the club on 30 October 2016 and the following day, Dalziel was subsequently appointed Director of football, with Mark Wilson appointed as head coach.

An immediate away substitution and the other two shortly after falling behind on 72 mins proved ineffective and the home side ran out 4-2 winners.

The building work on Excelsior Stadium was eventually completed in 1998, and Airdrieonians played here until the club went out of business due to heavy debts (caused in part by the burden of the construction cost of the new stadium, and made worse by a fall in supporter numbers in the four years based away from their home town) in May 2002.[3]. The latter at two nil down to the better team were given a torrid time by some critics near me but a corner and penalty restored parity after an hour. Airdrieonians FC. I wandered around town to see what it was like. Stadium Guide. The Excelsior Stadium, known as the Penny Cars Stadium for sponsorship reasons, is a football stadium in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. Historical grounds can be chosen as well. The club's decision to focus on developing youth was vindicated in January 2011, as Celtic signed teenager Tony Watt for a sum of £80,000 plus add-ons. With a crowd of just 818, I certainly had plenty of choice of where to sit! It would be remiss of me not to add that even Wetherspoons have abandoned the town. Zusammenfassung; Spiele; Kader; Statistik; Transfers; Erfolge; Stadion Info Offizielle Webseite.

The Scotch pies were good. National team players: 0. Address: Airdrie. The car parks were resurfaced, and new fencing and gates were erected around the perimeter of the stadium and land. As their K-Park stadium was inadequate for the crowd expected, the match was held at Excelsior Stadium;[7] 7,767 fans attended.

An easy trip up the M6 from Wigan. in 1878.

Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. The result was much to the disbelief but a relief of many sat near me plus debate in the toilets afterwards. A little hot water on a freezing cold day would not have gone amiss however! To be honest I enjoyed the game. Excelsior Stadium (1998-2018), Penny Cars Stadium (30.05.2018-2023). Transferbilanz: +-0. Guidelines set by the football authorities in the period were for top division clubs in Scotland to have all-seater stadia with a minimum capacity of 10,000,[2] and having only been relegated from the Scottish Premier Division in 1993, the club sought to comply with this. For using this site, please activate JavaScript.

The name of the stadium derives from Airdrieonians' original name, the club having been founded as Excelsior F.C. Airdrie United absolviert seine Heimspiele im Stadion „New Broomfield“, wie es von den Anhängern genannt wird, wobei die offizielle Bezeichnung „Shyberry Excelsior Stadium“ lautet. The corners of the ground are open apart from the tall floodlights. Booking train tickets in advance will normally save you money! [13] Although due for completion prior to season 2010–11, in July Airdrie United played their opening Challenge Cup 1st Round game v Ayr United at Alloa Athletic's Recreation Park ground, as the work had been delayed due to heavy rain. Durchschnittsalter: 23,1 . We should have driven straight to the ground really as there were plenty of parking spaces but ended up getting a taxi from our hotel. It is an all-seater stadium with a capacity of 10,101. 1. Squad size: [43], The first league game between Airdrie United and local rivals Albion Rovers took place at New Broomfield on 10 September 2011, with Airdrie winning 4–0. Seating Plan; Matchday Travel. [71] This badge featured a cockerel sitting atop a shield containing two lions passant and the club's initials.

© 2020 Football Ground Guide. In August 2008 it played host to Queen of the South's UEFA Cup 2nd qualifying round 1st leg against Nordsjælland. With Excelsior Stadium representation on the new board the club also indicated that they would be abandoning Ravenscraig Sports Complex and returning to training at the stadium.[58]. (opens in a new tab). [4] The stadium also hosted all of Motherwell's Europa League qualifying round ties in the 2009–10 season, against Llanelli, Flamurtari and Steaua Bucharest. After around half a mile you will reach another roundabout which is the junction with the A73, turn right onto the A73 Carlisle Road and the ground is down this road on the left. The closest railway station to the ground is Drumgelloch which is just over a mile away, whilst Airdrie station is a around 1.5.miles away. There is no defined pathway across the car parking but egress was safe enough apart from a broken bottle on a pavement beyond the pedestrian crossing over the nearby main road. It was a great day. I sincerely hope so as the stalwarts I saw in the Club shop etc deserve better.

View Prediction.

The weather was distinctly chilly and I had fancied the soup (£1:50) at half time but there was none so I had a PG tips cuppa (£1:70) instead and returned to see there were majorettes/cheerleaders on the pitch. It has an all-seated capacity of 10,101[1] and at the end of the 2009–10 season, a new 3G artificial surface was installed. At the end of the 2009–10 season, a new 3G artificial surface was installed. In 2003 Falkirk enquired about groundsharing at the stadium for a season, as their former home, Brockville did not meet SPL criteria. History. If you require hotel accommodation in Glasgow then first try a hotel booking service provided by Booking.com. Airdrieonians played their home games there until they were liquidated in 2002. Role: Name/Date of birth Nat. Sadly the home support only gets around 700 at a push or just shy of that. Official Web Sites:  www.airdriefc.com Excelsior Stadium. [14] Their debut season saw the club only narrowly fail to achieve promotion by one point[15] due to a late injury-time goal from Brechin City[16] which saw them promoted instead. Framed shirts of Maradona, Pele, Giggs etc adorned the walls but only myself and a few away fans watched the historic 90’s Airdrieonians DVD playing on a tv screen. By Football Tripper. Stadion: Penny Cars Stadium 10.101 Plätze. League One Ligahöhe: 3.Liga Tabellenplatz: In Liga seit: 8 Jahren. Once described as "the luckiest team in the Scottish League",[2] the club have benefited in league division placements due to other club's misfortunes on three occasions (2008, 2009 and 2012). Capacity: 10,170. Share this article. In the first half the only noise from the crowd was single random comments shouted out from various parts of the stand. Stadium. [40] Boyle was appointed manager on a permanent basis in September 2010,[41] with the contract running until the end of season 2011–2012,[42] and extended for 2 years from 2012. Airdrieonians Football Club are a Scottish professional football team in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, who are members of the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) and play in Scottish League One. In the intervening years the club ground-shared Broadwood Stadium, in Cumbernauld, the home of Clyde. Plus their booking system is straightforward and easy to use.

When I went up to the ground everyone was really friendly and happy to chat; from the guy in the club shop, to the lady security guard to the fans sat beside me.

Please read our Terms and Conditions before submission. It would be great to return to this ground to see a game in front of a full house, as that would then do it justice. Kadergröße: News; Current and former staff Airdrieonians FC The record of current and former staff lists all coaches, presidents, athletic directors, etc.

On Sunday morning I bought a newspaper from Morrisons located on the site of the club’s original Broomfield ground Although entirely different circumstance apply, I am pleased to see neither current stadium nor team have yet suffered the fate of say Darlington and Rushden & Diamonds. Airdrie United inherited Airdrieonians' distinctive playing colours of a white shirt with a red diamond.