The lives of two mob hitmen, a boxer, a gangster and his wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption. And that's because none of it was real, as we discover later in the movie. On October 19, 2011, shortly after the release of Arkham City, Mark Hamill again announced his retirement on his Twitter account: "Hello/Goodbye Joker! So whatever it is that's wrong with him — made him be like this — means he doesn't care about himself at all, really. | Nolan offered the part to Penn but the actor immediately turned him down. Either he's telling her the exact story or some warped version of it. I’m not going to say that some other names weren’t discussed, but there was only one person that there was ever any serious exchange with. So we hoped that we would have a lot of goodwill with where we were going. He is very, very scary. (uncredited), Nerdy Comedy Club Patron (2019). | Roven: We did consider other actors for the role, but I won’t tell you who. After the devastating events of Avengers: Infinity War (2018), the universe is in ruins. Narrator: At least from the viewer's point of view. "Joker" ends with the main character, Arthur Fleck, being locked up in a mental institution after executing a man on live TV and inciting violence throughout Gotham. We break down what the ending means, and the many hints to it throughout the movie. His mother, Penny, has apparently been lying to him as well, which brings us to one of the other big mysteries of the movie. Use the HTML below. Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent): Heath was deeply loved on this movie. He tells Murray to call him Joker when he introduces him, because he thinks that's how Murray referred to him when he aired his stand-up clip, but that never happened. All rights reserved. A daily briefing on what matters (and what's interesting) in Hollywood. Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA. They've come up with a new technology for the mouthpiece, as the scars are made out of silicone not prosthetic. Arthur Fleck works as a clown and is an aspiring stand-up comic. In 2002, Gotye and Kris Schroeder met and formed a band called The Basics. Over the years, many actors have made a name for themselves playing The Clown Prince of Crime; Jack Nicholson, Cesar Romero, and Heath Ledger, just to name a few. My whole bottom lip is fake. (uncredited), Gotham General Sick Kid (uncredited), Henchman / Based on the true story of Jordan Belfort, from his rise to a wealthy stock-broker living the high life to his fall involving crime, corruption and the federal government. Yes, I want to receive emails from The Hollywood Reporter about the latest news, products and events that they feel might be of interest to me. (uncredited), Gotham City Pedestrian Tim Curry, who later went on to become Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King's It, was initially cast as the voice of the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series. You think of all those people who dress themselves up and are very interested in their appearance — and then we added into it the life of him. Heath Ledger (The Joker), speaking in August 2007: I was a huge fan of Jack Nicholson’s Joker, but, you know, having seen Chris’ first [Batman] film, I knew there was a big difference between a Chris Nolan film and a Tim Burton film. They fell in love and had a child together, but he made her sign an NDA to never talk about this with anyone ever again. RELATED: 15 Behind The Scenes Secrets About The Making Of Joker. The 44-year-old actor dropped more than 50 lbs to play the DC comic villain aka Arthur Fleck in director Todd Phillip's origin story and he's setting the … MFS Attendee While Wayne and Alfred ultimately deny this, Arthur does find a photo of Penny with a note on the back saying: We have no proof that Thomas Wayne actually wrote this. The Joker is easily one of the most recognizable villains in the world and by far one of the most popular. Greed and class discrimination threaten the newly formed symbiotic relationship between the wealthy Park family and the destitute Kim clan. During one of the scenes with his social worker, we learn that he has seven prescriptions for his condition, and when the city cuts funding, he's forced to go off them. It seems some fans didn't think Ledger could pull it off - wow, were they wrong or what? Stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Eddie Redmayne share their 5 reasons not to miss The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. Once again, it was all in his head. Company Credits "Heath was tremendous in that, but yeah, I would've loved to have done that," he said. He's pure evil through pure anarchy. Both films seem to be commenting on the craziness of a culture that can turn violent criminals into heroic figures. Says one person involved in the situation: "How do you play the Joker you established following [Phoenix]? But the bad news is that the guy who does it by running round in a bat suit and a cape will attract some pretty fringe people. Back in the early 80s, James Bond and Superman writer Tom Mankiewicz was asked to write a Batman origin story that materialized as The Batman. The movie affects you in a way that makes it physically painful to experience, but in a good way. Early in the movie, his social worker asks him if he remembers why he was put in the mental institution. Nolan: Our Joker — Heath's interpretation of The Joker — has always been the absolute extreme of anarchy and chaos, effectively. A faded television actor and his stunt double strive to achieve fame and success in the final years of Hollywood's Golden Age in 1969 Los Angeles. Narrator: This would explain why Gotham City is so dark, dirty, and ravaged. If you play the Joker, he may dominate your legacy. An insomniac office worker and a devil-may-care soapmaker form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more. Directed by Todd Phillips. (uncredited), Gotham Health Commissioner It's after this moment that he starts to gradually transform into the Joker, and it makes it even harder to trust anything he says or does. A fresh take on sports: the biggest news and most entertaining lists. Rioter https://www.menshealth.com/.../joaquin-phoenix-diet-weight-loss-joker And I don't know; it's always a very personal process in terms of how you land in the character's shoes, so to speak. In the years since, and after Tim Heath joined, they have created nine albums. (uncredited), Thomas Wayne's Body Guard Heath Ledger remembered: the late actor's best roles. Did she have this procedure before the abuse took place and could this explain how the abuse could happen without her stopping it? Or has he actually been in there the whole time, telling us and his social worker a story that is a very warped version of the truth? In Gotham City, mentally troubled comedian Arthur Fleck is disregarded and mistreated by society. The Joker is very much an absolute, and Heath played it that way. A leading-edge research firm focused on digital transformation. "Learnalilgivinanlovin" also received air play on Dutch radio stations. Mfs Audience Today Heath Ledger is praised as one of the best Jokers of all time, but there was a time when people thought that Christopher Nolan had made a huge mistake choosing him over Paul Bettany for the role. ", NEXT: 15 Actresses Who Almost Got To Play Harley Quinn. This video was originally published in October 2019. Leto's representative says the actor is still happily working with Warner Bros. and notes that he's currently shooting John Lee Hancock’s Little Things, starring alongside Rami Malek and Denzel Washington, for the studio. The presidencies of Kennedy and Johnson, the events of Vietnam, Watergate and other historical events unfold through the perspective of an Alabama man with an IQ of 75, whose only desire is to be reunited with his childhood sweetheart. I thought for a moment, 'We’re in trouble here. You don’t try and top Jack'. Charles Roven (producer): When Chris Nolan brought his vision to Batman he went back to the core of the character from the Detective Comics, when the series first started. When I first met with him on the project — he came on board very early — I talked with him about the anarchic elements that I saw as being the more realistic Joker, the guy who would actually frighten an audience, and he'd already come up with a lot of that on his own. The movie is his. Just as an actor, to watch somebody else who makes such bold choices and knows the material so well and is so committed to his character, it's exciting for me as an actor because you're really able to take your character to another level. It's definitely the most fun I've had, and the most freedom I had. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe. After 3 previous nominations, Joaquin Phoenix brought home an Oscar for his role as the troubled Arthur Fleck in Joker. Unique lists featuring pop culture, entertainment and crazy facts. Most recently, Joaquin Phoenix became the first actor ever to win the Best Actor Oscar for playing a comic book character for his outstanding performance in Todd Phillips Joker. The actor, who played the character in 'Suicide Squad,' felt "alienated and upset" when Warner Bros. greenlit Todd Phillips' version with Joaquin Phoenix instead. (uncredited), Crazed Homeless Derelict He was keen to play the role of Joker, but unfortunately for him, Cesar Romero had already signed on. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site?