At an Antarctica research site, the discovery of an alien craft leads to a confrontation between graduate student Kate Lloyd and scientist Dr. Sander Halvorson. Producer Alan Donnes shared the information on Facebook, which was relayed by Betancourt on the Kickstarter page. John Carpenter has created a truly unknowable monster, and more importantly: unapologetic. By entering your details, you are agreeing to Radio Times privacy policy. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. “I’m involved with that, maybe. What may seem like hokey special effects now was cutting edge stuff in 1982. The studio’s 2011 prequel film was a critical and commercial flop, and grossed a miserly £24m on a £30m budget. In recent years, they've been taking cracks at existing IP, with 2018's Halloween and this year's Fantasy Island serving as a couple of examples. by American sci-fi author John Gregory Betancourt, who also revealed that the remake would include new elements from a recently discovered manuscript by acclaimed sci-fi author John W Campbell. have made it to screen before. Délai de réception raisonable. Recently, John Betancourt updated the Kickstarter page, revealing that Blumhouse and Universal have put a new adaptation of The Thing, which will utilize the entirety of Frozen Hell, on the fast track. Blum’s comments suggest that pre-production is still in its early stages. “We’ve talked about… I think he [Blum] is going to be working on The Thing, rebooting The Thing,” Carpenter revealed during a Q&A panel at Fantasia International Film Festival. John Carpenter's best? This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. I rewatched this on Amazon the same night I watched the more recent remake/prequel, and while that film isn't exactly bad, it cannot hold a candle to this one. Speaking during an interview for Welcome to the Blumhouse, the new horror anthology series from his production company, Blum was hesitant to give anything away on the apparent reboot. “We’re working on it,” he tentatively told RadioTimes.com. I've watched it a few dozen times to piece together when and how each of the characters become the Thing. Little is known about the project apart from the fact that it’s in development, but Carpenter himself has hinted that he might be involved. Paranoia and isolation add to the fear in this must see pic, plus the great special effects. Please try again. Betancourt uncovered the novel and launched a Kickstarter to get it published. This movie blows my mind every time I watch it. in 1938 as a novella. Who Goes There?, a 1938 novella penned by Campbell that was the inspiration behind Carpenter’s 1981 horror movie, is an abridged version of an original story from the writer titled Frozen Hell. Sign in to manage your newsletter preferences. Welcome to the Blumhouse is available now on on Amazon Prime Video – you can sign up for Prime with a free 30 day free trial. It was a remake of the 1951 The Thing. Both previous adaptations are considered classics in their own right, by John Carpenter's The Thing, in particular, has become a beloved work for sci-fi and horror fans. Topics: The Thing Remake, The Thing, Blumhouse, © Watchr Media • All rights reserved, John Carpenter May Get Involved with The Thing Reboot Happening at Blumhouse, acclaimed science fiction author John W. Campbell, John Campbell's groundbreaking novel Frozen Hell, John Carpenter's version of The Thing was a remake, The Frog Brothers Will Return This Halloween with Corey Feldman & Jamison Newlander, Friday the 13th Blu-ray Collection Replacement Discs, How to Get Yours from Scream Factory, Anthony Chisholm Dies, Oz Star and Tony-Nominated Actor Was 77. Directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.. With Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Ulrich Thomsen, Eric Christian Olsen. We'll be sure to keep you posted as further details on the project are made available. Reports of a new version of the horror classic first emerged in August. Survival horror means people will die, leaving but a few to figure things out. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. This is probably my favorite horror movie (not that my sample size is terribly large). Rumours of The Thing remake began circulating online in January, with Blumhouse Productions and Universal allegedly talking about a reboot. So the notion of a remake may be unsettling for some. Aside from the two direct adaptations, a prequel, also titled The Thing, was released in 2011. The morphing creature is scary in that it i shown a lot of the time partially in shadows. Learn more about the program. I'm not providing any spoilers that aren't already obvious. But John Carpenter's version of The Thing was a remake. Heck, it's still pretty amazing the things they were able to do back then. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. It doesn't monologue or even hint why it does what it does like a modern monster would -- it's too busy stuffing dogs down its toothy, tendril-spewing, screaming maw to explain itself. Betancourt also revealed that The Thing remake movie was being “fast-tracked” by Blumhouse and Universal but, with Blum acting coy on its development, it seems The Thing remake won’t be released for a while. In 1982 famed horror director John Carpenter released the Thing. One of the reasons this film deserves so much attention is the fact that it plays like no other horror film. The Thing also has one of my favorite character establishment scenes, where Kurt Russell loses a chess game to a computer then pours a drink into it. Already have an account with us? Amazon's Choice recommends highly rated and well-priced products. The Thing Remake Coming from Blumhouse Based on Long-Lost Original Book. Two adaptations of John W. Campbell's original story, Who Goes There? Carter, David Clennon, Donald Moffat, English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Unqualified (DTS ES 6.1), Reviewed in the United States on September 27, 2017. The Thing is now their latest journey into that arena. This is classic for mainly 2 reasons. carpenters best along with escape from new york, Reviewed in the United States on February 23, 2018. Rob Bottin's Mind-Melting Practical Effects Work. News, photos, videos and full episode guide, The Thing remake confirmed by producer Jason Blum: “We’re working on it”, “We’re working on it,” he tentatively told. The studio’s 2011 prequel film was a critical and commercial flop, and grossed a miserly £24m on a £30m budget. “[I have] no details to share, but we’re working on it.”. Universal and Blumhouse have partnered to produce a new version of The Thing based on John W. Campbell's unpublished novel. There's a Thing. In that movie the monster was basically a Frankenstein rip off right down to the domed head. Writing on the Frozen Hell Kickstarter page that he set up to get the manuscript published, Betancourt said that Frozen Hell “expands the Thing story dramatically, giving vital backstory and context to an already incredible tale”. It has earned a permanent spot on my Top 10 horror movie list. But this time around, things are going to be a bit different. Hey, it's a survival horror movie that's been out for 35 years. ‘The Thing’ Remake Coming from Blumhouse Based on Long-Lost Original Book. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime. 1951's The Thing From Another World, directed by Christian Nyby, as well as John Carpenter's 1982 classic The Thing. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 4, 2012. The Thing remake is on the way. This news comes to us via the Frozen Hell Kickstarter page. A research team in Antarctica is hunted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of … Our best wishes for a productive day. Unable to add item to List. Those rumours came after a now-deleted Facebook post from film producer Alan Donnes, supposedly revealed that a remake of The Thing was in the works. The new puzzles website is now live - sign up now and enjoy a 7-day free trial! For more information about how we hold your personal data, please see our privacy policy. I have always been so turned off by CGI that i rarely watch modern movies. that he set up to get the manuscript published, Betancourt said that Frozen Hell “expands the Thing story dramatically, giving vital backstory and context to an already incredible tale”. Extremely technically impressive and still fun. Director John Carpenter (Halloween) teams Kurt Russell's outstanding performance with incredible visual effects to create a chilling version of the classic The Thing. DvD avec supplément, génial. to those reports and appeared to confirm that, following talks with Blum, he had been brought onboard to assist with Universal’s latest attempt to remake The Thing. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 27, 2010, The Thing [DVD] [1982] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC. Blumhouse is responsible for franchises such as The Purge and Paranormal Activity, as well as movies such as Get Out and Split. Back in August, Carpenter responded to those reports and appeared to confirm that, following talks with Blum, he had been brought onboard to assist with Universal’s latest attempt to remake The Thing. This all stems from a Kickstarter launched by John Betancourt in 2018. So, no surprise there. Reviewed in the United States on April 16, 2018.