Francisco Cervelli, who suffered a concussion on Saturday in the Marlins’ 5-3 win over the Nationals in Game 2 of the doubleheader, was placed on the seven-day concussion list on Sunday.. Our Noticias, 10/16/20: Peers support Mattingly for NL MOY, Marlins BBQ Episode 19: Decisions to Make for 2021. This is a … That’s the main thing with him and all our guys, but, obviously, I think we’ve all seen the danger of the concussion and brain injuries, and what happens to guys later on in life and what the damage can be. As of this writing, Chad Wallach has emerged as a surprisingly competent catching option for the Marlins. “We lost some guys, but we like our guys who are coming up.,” he said. When Alfaro tested positive for COVID-19, Cervelli's playing time increased. He admitted he was scared but didn’t let that show. “Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t accomplish your dreams. ‘We’re just getting started' — Mattingly excited about Marlins' future as playoff run comes to an end, Marlins sale finalized as Derek Jeter group officially takes over for Jeffrey Loria. The Marlins signed Cervelli, 34, this offseason with the hopes he would be a veteran presence in a youth-laden clubhouse that was looking to surprise teams this year. I wouldn’t trade the blood, sweat and tears for anything in the world. Fenway first: Red Sox's ballpark becomes voting venue amid pandemic. The players in the dugout cheered, and Cervelli saluted them as the rounded third and headed for home. The message Mattingly and the organization sent the veteran catcher was they were concerned about his long-term health. Veteran leader Cervelli to IL with concussion. Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand. https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/29273/francisco-cervelli Me queda también el orgullo de sentir que constantemente convertí lo imposible en posible. It’s time. He had requested his release after he worked his way back from another … Tracking all of the changes that the Marlins make in their build-up to the 2021 MLB season. The bullpen was also impressive, including Richard Bleier, obtained from the Orioles last week. To my coaches and teammates (too many to name) and my agent, thank you for pushing me to be the best ballplayer I could be. The Marlins had him handle top prospect Sixto Sánchez in the nightcap. My journey in this game would be nothing without the exceptional people that have supported me along the way, personally and professionally. Following one final delay in their effort to return from a miserable coronavirus-induced hiatus, the Marlins found enough power and pitching within their vastly overhauled roster to beat the Baltimore Orioles 4-0 Tuesday night. Cervelli was struck by a foul ball, and he was replaced by Jorge Alfaro in the third inning. Cervelli, 34, finished last season with the Atlanta Braves after he was waived by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Pablo Lopez threw five innings of two-hit ball and the bullpen allowed just one hit in Miami's first shutout victory since Sept. 8 against Kansas City. This game has brought me endless joy and happiness. For years, Cervelli’s walkup song was Dean Martin’s rendition of “That’s Amore.” So he gave a fitting end to his retirement post. He did well at presenting borderline pitches around the corners of the plate, but struggled with high offerings. With Alfaro’s build-up for the regular season stalled by an oblique injury, Cervelli had a path to an expanded role. Today, I retire happy and fully satisfied, because I gave my heart and soul to this wonderful game. But, I also learned so much. We can have fun even with all the chaos and everything and try to enjoy it no matter what happened.”. Cervelli remained active. This game will always be my greatest love, because… well, THAT’S AMORE! My journey in this game would be nothing without the exceptional people that have supported me along the way, personally and professionally. In his retirement post, Cervelli urged people to pursue their dreams. “Today, I want to share the difficult decision I’ve made to end my career as a professional baseball player. Electric Mookie Betts catch protects Dodgers' lead in NLCS Game 6. Once they finally got back on the diamond, the Marlins backed up the assertion of president of baseball operations Michael Hill, who said beforehand: “We expect to win games.”. “He apologizes and says, ‘Sorry.’ He apologizes right away. I will never forget all that this game has taught me. But it’s clear to me now that my future holds so much more. A Braves rally in the fifth inning was stymied by the star right fielder's leap at the fence to end the threat. But the tandem of Wallach and Alfaro is below average by MLB standards, and there isn’t much organizational depth behind them. I am retiring because the time has come to put my health before my career.