Michael Owen believes his match-winning performance for Liverpool in the 2001 FA Cup final was as close as he came to perfection in his goal-laden career. Liverpool Liverpool: 29 (0) 19 Other Competitions: 2000/2001. Michael Owen: I have no regrets, I’m happy with what I did in my career, Michael Owen at Man Utd: Worth it just for *that* derby winner. Can you name Liverpool’s top 30 goalscorers in Premier League history? I was convinced I would score again and we would win.
“Then it happened, I scored the second goal and we won the FA Cup. Owen went on to win the Ballon d’Or after his stunning performances for Liverpool and England in 2001 and he says the game in Cardiff gave him the biggest high of his career, ahead of his memorable solo goal in the 1998 World Cup finals for England against Argentina. Michael James Owen (born 14 December 1979) is an English former footballer who played as a striker for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United, Manchester United and Stoke City, as well as for the England national team.Since retiring from football in 2013, he has become a racehorse breeder and owner and regularly features as a sports pundit and commentator. Digital and audiobook also available. Promoting his much-discussed book Reboot in Dublin, Owen says his two-goal display that won Gerard Houllier’s Reds the FA Cup against Arsenal in a Cardiff final provided a lasting snapshot of his peak years. ... 2001/2002. Michael Owen: Reboot, published by Reach Sport, is on sale now. An ode to a young Michael Owen, once England’s most exciting youngster. Michael Owen believes his match-winning performance for Liverpool in the 2001 FA Cup final was as close as he came to perfection in his goal-laden career.. “The accusation that I didn’t enjoy the second half of my career is misguided, but that is what happens when you bring out a book like this as a few thoughts are cherry-picked and turned into something they shouldn’t be. “Well, I never actually said that! It can make you look awful. I simply couldn’t play as I wanted due to my injuries, that is the reality. Owen went on to dismiss suggestions he fell out of love with the game as injuries affected his progress in the final years of his career, claiming headlines created before his book was officially released created a false impression of what he had written. Then injuries struck and I was hamstrung for long periods in the second half of my story and there is no shame in admitting that was very frustrating. In all my career, I probably never had a feeling as strong as that. “They had some fantastic players and were not far off the team that went through the Premier League season unbeaten a three years later, but we hung in there and we were still only a goal behind heading into the final few minutes. “Then you hear fans saying he lost his love for the game and he didn’t try when he was playing for us, but none of that is true. “If I could live one day of my career again, it would be that FA Cup final in 2001,” Owen told us. “Back then, I believed anything was possible and with good reason.