We have to bring up that next generation, and we have to bind together and really support them…and get them in front of things so that they can actually lead the generation after them. Barris also worked on the script for New Line Cinema’s Son of Shaft, which is set to star Jessie T. Usher and Samuel L. Jackson. #blackAF is currently playing on Netflix. | Cookie Settings. Privacy | Barris is repped by CAA, Principato Young Entertainment and Morris Yorn. TWITTER We and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. We have to bring up that next generation. Barris’ Black-ish has received numerous Emmy nominations for its deft handling of comedy and race in America. All rights reserved. by The Netflix original series stars Barris as a fictionalized version of himself and Rashida Jones (Angie Tribeca) as his wife Joya. We got a great guy, in Jermaine Fowler, but it was really hard. Loosely inspired by Barris’ irreverent, highly flawed, unbelievably honest approach to parenting, relationships, race, and culture, #blackAF flips the script on what we’ve come to expect a family comedy series to be. Jonathan Levine, the director of Warm Bodies and 50/50, and Black-ish creator Kenya Barris are teaming for Coming to America 2. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. Director Jonathan Levine will team with Black-ish creator Kenya Barris on a sequel to Eddie Murphy’s 1988 hit Coming to America, Deadline has confirmed.Barris will rewrite a Barry Blaustein & David Sheffield script. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. From Kenya Barris, the Emmy® nominated creator of black-ish, comes #blackAF. Who’s the 20 to 25-year-old star that you’re going to put on a poster that gets people to come to the movies and gets people to watch? He freelances as a writer and video content creator for sites such as MovieTickets.com. I wanted to take a swing. Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. From Kenya Barris, the Emmy® nominated creator of black-ish, comes #blackAF. The “Coming To America” sequel that seems to have been in the works forever finally has its writer. Recently, we had the opportunity to chat with Barris on his upcoming projects. I’m taking some hits because it’s a little bit more…I won’t say mean-spirited, but it’s a little bit more sarcastic, more sardonic. Murphy is expected to reprise his role for the Paramount sequel, though nothing’s been finalized. Who is the next generation? So when I did it, I was like, “how do you do something that’s a little bit noisier and make a little bit noise?”… I know the people are saying, “Well we’ve seen the meta version of someone playing [themselves].”… We [Black people] haven’t had a lot of those opportunities…So I wanted to do something that kind of gave us a look at, stepping into that lane and show how we can do it. FACEBOOK Kenya and Joya’s children are played by Genneya Walton (Xtant), Iman Benson (Suits), Scarlet Spencer (Bright), Justin Claiborne (Reverie), Ravi Cabot-Conyers (The Resident) and Richard Gardenhire Jr. #blackAF is executive produced by Barris, Jones, and Hale Rothstein. It’s more personal. Sitemap | 4:32 PM PDT 9/27/2017 Emmanuel is a Chicago film critic who founded Eman's Movie Reviews. Terms of Use | He also co-wrote Girls Trip, the surprise hit comedy that took in over $114 million at the domestic box office on only a $19 million budget. TheMovieBlog: Is there anything you can tell us about Coming to America 2 to get us looking forward to it? Although there is no deal in place, Murphy is involved with the development of the sequel — which will be produced by Kevin Misher — and is expected to star. TheMovieBlog: So you have a new show coming out on Netflix, #blackAF. And that was the big sort of leap for this. Arsenio Hall co-starred as his loyal handler, while James Earl Jones, Shari Headley and John Amos also featured in the hit. It made me think that there’s a responsibility on us as creatives. The sequel has long percolated at Paramount, but it was only this spring that the studio made it official, with Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield, who penned the 1988 original, hired to write the follow-up. Coming 2 America is an upcoming 2020 American comedy film directed by Craig Brewer, from a screenplay by David Sheffield, Barry W. Blaustein and Kenya Barris, based on characters created by Eddie Murphy. About Our Ads Levine has been tapped to direct a follow-up to the 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy, with Barris on board to rewrite the script. It is the second installment in the Coming to America film series, and serves as a … Levine won raves for directing the coming-of-age indie The Wackness as well as the Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Seth Rogen cancer comedy 50/50. © 2020 The Hollywood Reporter EMAIL ME. Kenya Barris was born on August 9, 1974 in Los Angeles, California, USA. I love those shows. Kenya Barris On New Netflix Show #blackAF and Coming To America 2. Borys Kit Be sure to join the other 33K+ fans on his Facebook Fan Page for even more movie opinions and fun. Coming To America Sequel: Jonathan Levine And Kenya Barris Attached The attempt to craft a sequel to 1988's Eddie Murphy comedy Coming To America... Movies | 3 years ago I’m playing a heightened version of myself that I’m really trying to be a little bit more self-deprecating… and take some hits and be a little bit more edgier… and be a little bit more functionally dysfunctional as a family…On network TV, you have to appeal to everybody, and I think that’s great…But at the same time I think we’re moving to the place now where we can be a little bit edgier. One of the things about [Coming to America 2] that made me really think is when we were looking for who’s going to play Eddie’s son. Can you tell us a little bit about it and why it is better than Black-ish, Grown-ish and Mix-ish combined? Black-ish changed my life and it’s my heart. Emmanuel "E-Man" Noisette Leave a comment. Kenya Barris, Writer: Black-ish. John Landis, one of the biggest directors of the 1980s, helmed the original pic that saw Murphy playing Prince Akeem, who traveled from his wealthy African country to Queens in order to escape an arranged marriage and find a wife who will love him in spite of his title. But everything he says, when he starts talking it’s like just so unbelievably genius level of funny. The Hollywood Reporter, LLC is a subsidiary of Prometheus Global Media, LLC. It felt like I was part of a really special group. Barris is writing the new draft, while Levine has been tapped to direct. He is a writer and producer, known for Black-ish (2014), Girls Trip (2017) and #BlackAF (2020). I feel like it’s more personal. HuffPost is part of Verizon Media. I feel like [#blackAF] is just different. Because I think our experiences are always unique and a little bit more different. I think one of the big things with Netflix is that there’s so much content…It’s such a behemoth. April 19, 2020. He has been married to Rainbow Barris since December 3, 1999. He’s kind of quiet. April 19, 2020. Kenya Barris: Yes. His other recent credits include The Night Before, which reunited him with Gordon-Levitt and Rogen (Anthony Mackie also starred), and the pilot for the Jim Carrey-executive produced Showtime series I’m Dying Up Here.