New York, A one-stop shop for all things video games. The entire world becomes infected with the fungus that turns them into blood-thirsty hungries. Sign up to get breaking news, reviews, opinion, analysis and more, plus the hottest tech deals!

Both feature a young girl (Ellie in The Last of Us and Melanie in The Girl with All the Gifts) who are infected and yet have the potential to provide a cure for humanity, and both feature a dilemma where creating this cure will require the children to be sacrificed. The Last Of Us, all by itself, entirely justified the money I spent on my PlayStation 4. There was a problem.

In video games, the player is accustomed to the protagonist as hero or, occasionally, as an overt villain. Spoiler alert! Once the “The Last of Us” fungus has consumed its host and can no longer move, it reproduces through the release of airborne spores. I suspect the author committed voluntary or involuntary plagiarism (change that second word to a more subtle one) or got too “inspired” by the Naughty Dog video game when writing his story. The Girl With All The Gifts is like a clumsy echo of The Last Of Us. He knows how to tie a tie, but doesn't care to. A one-stop shop for all things video games. Technical Specs, See agents for this cast & crew on IMDbPro.
The Last Of Us is one of those works of art which elevates its medium. The hungries are not hybrids and vice versa. It is believed that during the gestational period, the hybrids developed antibodies from their carrier to keep the fungal infection at bay. That also paves the way for the game’s dramatic conclusion, in which Joel, upon learning Ellie’s fate at the hands of the doctors he delivered her to, promptly embarks on a mission to rescue his surrogate daughter from the Firefly medical facility. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - Is a Remake On the Way? And while both Ellie and Melanie grow in their experience and confidence in their abilities throughout their respective, Melanie has more agency.

Melanie too, learns the power of her intelligence, enabling her to face down and outwit the leader of the feral second-genners, who, like Negan in “The Walking Dead,” carries a baseball bat that serves as both a weapon and symbol of authority, to rescue Parks and Justineau. If you’ve never heard of “The Last of Us,” that probably means you’re not a dedicated gamer.

How Hulu's Monsterland Created The Best Mermaid In Horror Movies Yet, The Girl With All The Gifts: Fungal Infection & Hungries Explained, Corona Zombies: The First Coronavirus Movie Explained, 28 Months Later: Why The Third Film Will Probably Never Happen, Raised By Wolves Theory: Ancient Humans Came From Kepler-22b, What Echoes of Valhalla Reveals About Assassin's Creed's Story, Everything Baldur’s Gate 3 Needs To Refine Before An Official Release, Why Rob Zombie Is The Most Unique Horror Director Of The 21st Century, Thanos’ Space Chair Was Too Powerful For The MCU, The Halloween Movie With The Highest Body Count, Hulu's Monsterland: What The Shadow People In "Eugene, Oregon" Really Are, Every Henry James Ghost Story In The Haunting Of Bly Manor, Kingdom Hearts Creator Teases Something Special For Nintendo Fans, Why Event Horizon Deserves A Proper Sequel Movie, The Amazing Race Season 32: Everything to Know About Hung Nguyen & Chee Lee, American Horror Story: Every Horror Movie Easter Egg In Asylum, You Season 3 Casts Travis VanWinkle & Shalita Grant, American Horror Story: Every Horror Movie Easter Egg In Murder House, Halloween: What Happened To Michael Myers' Parents. The problem with so many video-game adaptations is that they forget this level of connection that makes us care about the characters we play as.
I’m not saying it’s a rip-off, I doubt it is. The Infected here are called “hungries” due to their lust for flesh. The Girl with All the Gifts attempts to bring freshness to the decaying subject matter.

Filming & Production

Top 10 Similarities Between The Girl With All The Gifts And The Last Of Us. “The Last of Us,” and “The Girl with All the Gifts” both draw inspiration from the life cycle of the same fungus, Ophiocordyceps Unilateralis. © These spores turn airborne and bring about the end of humanity. The fungal infection is nature fighting back and the hungries are the hopeless vessels under which it spreads. I’ll ask Cody if it kind of reminded him of The Last of Us….I know he has that game. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The go-to source for comic book and superhero movie fans. The Girl with all the Gifts, a movie based on the book of the same name, bears more than a passing resemblance to Naughty Dog's seminal third-person action game. It has a similar theme, similar setting, suspiciously similar ideas (The Last Of Us came out a year before the novel).