Peter spends much time with his captain’s family and grows deeply attached to the couple and to their daughter, Maria Ivanovna. The story is a romanticized history of the Pugachev's Rebellion in 1773–1774. An excellent book, set around the myth that Captain Smith rescued a baby or a young child from the water after the Titanic sank. The book starts off with the Titanic and finishes in 1959, and although there are a couple of slow moments, it flies through the decades and with very short chapters, it's a fast read, even at nearly 600 pages long. The Captain's Daughter (Russian: «Капитанская дочка», romanized: Kapitanskaya dochka) is a historical novel by the Russian writer Alexander Pushkin. 'We are lost !' Then we kissed the little maiden, And we spake in better cheer, And we anchored safe in harbor When the morn was shining clear. The fortress is where Piotr meets the captain’s daughter, Maria Ivanovna, a shy, but stalwart woman, representing the best qualities of the simple Russian. It was first published in 1836 in the fourth issue of the literary journal Sovremennik. While the adults have given up hope and … The thought of death was looming large in everyone's mind as the sea grew more and … All I knew was that the stories of The Captain swept my young imagination away to distant oceans and fierce pirates and warships and the mysterious East, and ruined my young spirit for the prosaic work-a-day world. by Alexsander Pushkin The Captain's Daughter, originally published in Sovremennik in 1836, is excerpted from the 1916 edition of his work, The Prose Tales of Alexander Poushkin, translated from the Russian by T. Keane. Explanation: The poem 'The captain's daughter' gives an account of a violent storm at sea which threatened to snatch away the lives of the people who were on board a ship.It was a tense night for every soul on the ship as the storm promised to wreck havoc and put an eternal end to their lives. About James T Fields. This poem tells us about a brave, young girl who is caught in a storm on a ship at sea. James T. Fields (1817-1881) was an American author, publisher and poet. The novel is a romanticized account of Pugachev's Rebellion in 1773–1774. If so, The Captain became the very opposite after the war, he was fiercely egalitarian in later life, as was his daughter. But his little daughter whispered, As she took his icy hand, 'Isn't God upon the ocean, Just the same as on the land?' Many of his words including this poem, can be found in his book, Ballads and Verses, which was published in 1880. I wanted to put to sea, to explore the … the captain shouted, As he staggered down the stairs. It wouldn't be a Pushkin story without a duel! The Captain's Daughter James T Fields.