Do you know what he did to Orel Hershiser?' Do you have a sports website? Many historical player head shots courtesy of David Davis. Copyright 1999- Hershiser was 14-14 in 1986, but his 3.85 ERA was nearly a run higher than his 3.06 ERA in 1987, when he was 16-16. But he wasn't done. Subscribe to our Free Newsletter, This Month in Sports ReferenceFind out when we add a feature or make a change. Copyright 1999- What I saw in Orel over the next twelve years was a baseball player with a tenacious will to learn, to grow, and to improve. He loves his family. Every time Hershiser took the mound, I knew the Dodgers would win. The Dodgers of 1988 are remembered for the fiery play of Kirk Gibson and his one iconic moment, the brash leadership of Tommy Lasorda, and the clutch play from a group of unknowns who called themselves the Stunt Men. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. All images are property the copyright holder and are displayed here for informational purposes only. Subscribers gain access to, Bowling Green State University (Bowling Green, OH). Go into the bullpen is just what Hershiser did, in the 12th inning with the Dodgers clinging to a one-run lead. Exceeded rookie limits during 1984 season, Agents: Bob Gilhooley, Jim Bronner • Previously: Robert Fraley, View Player Bio Hershiser returned to ESPN in 2006, and 2013 will be his fourth season as a television analyst on Sunday Night Baseball. I have never felt more confident in the Dodgers than I do with Kershaw on the mound. (Age 41-284d) Without a doubt, Orel Hershiser is one of the smartest baseball players I've ever managed. update=copyright.getFullYear(); 1988 stats: Hershiser began the year on fire, with wins in his first six starts and a 1.74 ERA. Notes: The Date / Box field has a link to the box score from the game being described. Orel Hershiser Every game played with complete stats, links to box scores and automated row summing for 1988 copyright=new Date(); Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. stats, pitching stats (where applicable), cumulative career totals Many thanks to him. He loves God. 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers Statistics 1987 Season 1989 Season Record: 94-67, Finished 1st in NL_West ( Schedule and Results ) Orel Hershiser League Championship Series Stats by Baseball Almanac The League Championship Series determines who wins the league pennant and advances to the World Series. Find out more. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Do you have a blog? Total Zone Rating and initial framework for Wins above Replacement calculations provided by Sean Smith. Even crazier is that after Hershiser started and threw 8⅓ innings on Oct. 4, threw seven innings on Oct. 8, and recorded one out for a save on Oct. 9, he even warmed up in the eighth inning of Game 5 on Oct. 10, through he wasn't used. Hershiser's game score of 87 in Game 2 was the fourth best in franchise history, and he joined Sandy Koufax as the only Dodgers with two shutouts in the same postseason. in Buffalo, NY After Howell's suspension, the team got a pep talk from their manager, per Robbie Andreu of the Orlando Sun-Sentinel: Before Game 4 Sunday, Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda gave his team an emotional speech, asking them to make whatever sacrifice was needed to win the crucial game without Howell.After the speech, starting pitcher Orel Hershiser approached Lasorda and said: ``I`m ready.````When he said that, I didn`t know what he meant,`` Lasorda said. Bowling Green State University (Bowling Green, OH). How comprehensive is our World Series data? All images are property the copyright holder and are displayed here for informational purposes only. Where he is now: Right after his playing career ended, Hershiser moved to ESPN, where he served as an analyst in 2000 and 2001. Full-year historical Major League statistics provided by Pete Palmer and Gary Gillette of Hidden Game Sports. But the reason the 1988 Dodgers overcame the odds and won the World Series was largely due to the exploits of Orel Hershiser, who had a great season and ended with one of the finest extended runs in baseball history. Hershiser was 24 years old when he broke into the big leagues on September 1, 1983, with the Los Angeles Dodgers. 12,410th in MLB history) "How could I walk down the street the rest of my life with everybody pointing at me saying, 'Do you know what he did to his team? Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. Quit being so careful. From 1989-1994 with the Dodgers, Hershiser was 51-53 with a 3.30 ERA, a 110 ERA+, in 147 games, including 145 starts. us. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. During the 1988 Major League Baseball season, pitcher Orel Hershiser of the Los Angeles Dodgers set the MLB record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched.Over 59 consecutive innings, opposing hitters did not score a run against Hershiser.    vs. MON 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 SO, 0 BB, 1 ER, Last Game: In Game 5, I got a dose of his curveball, which is in Bert Blyleven's class. After just two starts Hershiser had a respectable 4.09 ERA, but then hit the click in the roller coaster. On Oct. 12 Hershiser was used, as he started Game 7 at Dodger Stadium, and he delivered. Prior to 1969, the pennant winner was determined by the best won-loss record at the end of the regular season. It looked to be business as usual for Hershiser, who took a 2-0 lead into the ninth inning and extended his scoreless streak to 67 consecutive frames. Copyright © 2000-2020 Sports Reference LLC. The Dodgers try to stay alive in Game 5 of the NLCS against the Braves on Friday night at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas. ``I said, `Ready for what?` He said, `To go into the bullpen.'". The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. He's a gentleman. Since that day back in 1983 when I first met him, we've become like father and son. I saw an outstanding young man who was a hard worker - aggressive, even daring, on the mound. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. Find out more. Chris Taylor injured his ankle on a throw from left field in Game 5 of the NLCS, and is day-to-day, as the Dodgers await pending test results. It would be like a bowler rolling 300 games every day for six weeks. He intelligence is visible on and off the field. Do you have a sports website? Orel Hershiser was born on Tuesday, September 16, 1958, in Buffalo, New York. He's a gentleman. Orel Hershiser League Championship Series Stats by Baseball Almanac The League Championship Series determines who wins the league pennant and advances to the World Series. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. in Buffalo, NY Closer Jay Howell needed to record two outs to protect the 2-1 lead, but instead gave up a two-run double to Gary Carter for a 3-2 Mets win. Oakland actually got to Hershiser for two runs, but that couldn't put a damper on one of the great finishing runs by any pitcher in major league history. Great stuff, great pitcher.". Visit his page for comprehensive September 16, 1958 NLCS performance: Hershiser came into the NLCS on fire, and had five days of rest prior to his Game 1 start against the Mets. He loves God. June 26, 2000 (Age 24-350d, Orel Hershiser Stats. ", 1988 Dodgers player profile: Orel Hershiser, the bulldog, The profiles of all 38 players and manager Tommy Lasorda, all in one place, Dodgers win battle of Wills to stay alive.