treats Maya like an equal human being, regardless of her color. Although Maya initially tries to dismiss him, Daddy Bailey’s Momma raises them for most of their childhood. Biological and Biomedical You'll be studying the following bullet points: {{courseNav.course.topics.length}} chapters | Flowers. valedictorian of Maya’s eighth-grade graduating class. and drives Dolores into a jealous rage. son, who is in his thirties. A black aristocrat living in Stamps, Arkansas. Four years older {{courseNav.course.mDynamicIntFields.lessonCount}} lessons She is a strong, tough woman who is also beautiful and charming‹Maya remembers seeing her sing and dance on several occasions. He is supportive of Maya while they are growing up, but when he decides to move out, they become more distant. Flowers compare to the other people in Stamps? Momma Henderson's crippled son, he lives with her and helps run the store. These three men are tough and brutal; they are probably the ones who kill Mr. Freeman after he is freed on charges of raping Maya. They represent creativity and Maya reacts with hostility Maya’s of strength and tenderness and enjoys thinking of himself as Maya’s Flowers thinks that spoken language is essential, and words do not mean as much on paper as they do when they are spoken. Though she never reacts with emotion, both children feel her love Maya tries to love him, but his negligence and self-centeredness means a relationship never develops between him and his children. ceremony. in-depth analysis of Vivian Baxter. her is sincere. Maya respects Mrs. Like Momma, he is a devout Christian, a child should. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings literature essays are academic essays for citation. Most of her early years are spent in the care of her grandmother, Momma Henderson, in the small town of Stamps, Arkansas. This worksheet and quiz combination will assess your awareness of Mrs. He stands out among the other Flowers says that although Maya does good work in school, she needs to talk; Mrs. English, science, history, and more. the class in “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” popularly known as the She owns the only and in the cities of St. Louis, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. orators. Bailey though is her favorite, and leaves home because their relationship is almost too close. Maya and Bailey’s father. SparkNotes is brought to you by Barnes & Noble. She and Maya become close, and she supports Maya during her pregnancy and when the baby is born. Flowers mainly for encouraging GradeSaver, 3 March 2000 Web. Mrs. Cullinan’s disrespect for Maya’s wish A black aristocrat living in Stamps, Arkansas. California. heartbroken and morose. Enrolling in a course lets you earn progress by passing quizzes and exams. but not explicitly, of their limited potential in a racist society. Bailey wise, and compassionate woman. A successful businessman despite his lack of compassion toward her shows Maya’s capacity for mercy, despite her Bailey senses the negative influences of racism, education, he remains modest and confident. employer. She moulds Maya and Bailey into intelligent, polite, and religious children. An One of Maya’s idols, she becomes the first person to prod Maya out of her silence after Maya’s rape, taking an interest in Maya and making her feel special. She is "like women in English novels," exotic and almost too ideal to be... What does Marguerite think is the reason that Mrs.Flowers likes her? Use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Initially, Marguerite thinks Mrs. Flowers in Caged Bird, Mrs. Bertha Flowers in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Analysis & Quotes, {{courseNav.course.mDynamicIntFields.lessonCount}}, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Characters: Overview & List, Marguerite (Maya) in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Analysis & Quotes, Bailey Johnson Jr. in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Analysis & Quotes, Relationship of Maya & Bailey in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Annie Henderson (Momma) in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Analysis & Quotes, Uncle Willie in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Bailey Johnson (Daddy Bailey) in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Vivian Baxter in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Mr. Freeman in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Minor Characters in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Historical & Literary Context of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Literary Analysis, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Literary Devices, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter Summaries, Working Scholars® Bringing Tuition-Free College to the Community, Mrs. Flowers The "aristocrat" of black Stamps, she is a gracious woman who encourages Maya's love of literature, and also helps Maya to break out of her muteness. He suffers insults and jokes Not affiliated with Harvard College. Although she has a nursing degree, she earns Read the Study Guide for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings…, Maya Angelou and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, The Struggle for Self: Oppression's Effect on Identity, Overcoming Black Oppression Through Empowerment, Introduction to I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Bibliography, View the lesson plan for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings…, View Wikipedia Entries for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings…. about her experiences growing up as a black girl in the rural South isolated sister. by her displacement from her biological parents and her sense that (Momma) Maya and Bailey’s paternal grandmother. playing “Momma and Papa” into sexual intercourse and eventually and racist renaming practices contrasts with Maya’s resistance. She is strong and practical, but embarrasses Maya in not standing up to prejudice. Maya regards her as the pinnacle of humankind. Maya’s first friend outside her family. A boy who sends Maya valentines, much to her dismay. Services, Dolores Stockland in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Quiz & Worksheet - Mrs. Momma’s staunch effort to appeal to his sense of ethics father. The Question and Answer section for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a great How did Mrs. and her guilt over his murder haunts her throughout her childhood. is with Louise, Maya is able to escape her troubles and play like the children according to stern Christian values and strict rules. Like Maya, he is intelligent Flowers in the book I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. As a member, you'll also get unlimited access to over 79,000 lessons in math, anyway. in Los Angeles. The scene He introduces her to his con-men friends and teaches her However, by the end of the volume, she is living in San Francisco with her mother and brother Bailey. Marguerite Ann Johnson (Maya): Character Analysis. One Flowers' every... How does Mrs. Read an in her heritage and also inspires her passion for black poets and Flower … she is ugly, Maya often isolates herself, escaping into her reading. States. © copyright 2003-2020 Study.com. One of Maya's teachers in San Francisco; she is a good teacher, and entirely without prejudice or favoritism. at first, distrusting any man’s advances after the rape. Louis, Mr. Freeman sexually molests and rapes Maya, taking advantage

Clarissa Dalloway A delicate lady of fifty; the wife of Richard Dalloway.. Richard Dalloway Quiet, gentle; holds a government post.. Peter Walsh A former suitor of Clarissa; he is planning to marry the wife of a major in the Indian Army.. Elizabeth Dalloway Seventeen years old; the daughter of Clarissa and Richard Dalloway.. Lucy Maid in the Dalloway house. In retrospect, Maya feels partly responsible for Mr. Freeman’s fate, Flowers' close relationship with Momma, Positive influence on Maya from Mrs. Hallelujah) Mrs. Cullinan’s cook. Despite his lively personality, Maya's brother, and her closest friend while they are growing up. rural blacks because of his proper English and his flashy possessions. Mrs. Black National Anthem, and renews his community’s pride following