Respect to Mike Leake, still so much uncertainty regarding the season. Just out of curiosity, would a decision like this impact CBT calculations? “After thorough consideration, he has chosen to opt out of playing in 2020. After thorough consideration, he has chosen to opt out of playing in 2020. Stop talking. I don’t think he did this for his family – he did it for the money. Leake, 32, will be a free agent following the 2020 season if Arizona declines his $18 million 2021 contract option. Not playing baseball for an entire season kills your value just as bad, if not worse, as getting off to a slow start. They had the full support of general manager Mike Rizzo, as he said in a statement. OK. I’ll listen to the experts’ advice any day over the racist in charge. The 10-year veteran boasted a 4.05 ERA with a 1.281 WHIP and earned a Gold Glove in 2019 with the Seattle Mariners. It’s leake’s last serious payday and he gave it up. D-backs RHP Leake elects not to play in 2020. He expected to be ready to play by the original regular season opener on March 26. Humphries added with back injury, Arizona Cardinals can host about 1,200 fans vs. Seahawks in Week 7, Keim: Cardinals must consider youth, money in replacing Chandler Jones, Sign up for the Arizona Sports Insider email. “During this global pandemic, Mike and his family had many discussions about playing this season,” Leake’s agent, Danny Horwitz, said in a statement on Monday. CLICK HERE TO TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS. Follow him on Twitter @SteveGilbertMLB. The Diamondbacks also will be without two international prospects due to travel issues during the pandemic: outfielder Kristian Robinson of the Bahamas and Brazilian right-hander Bo Takahashi. I’m so close. Please login to leave a reply. I’m sorry that you are in that situation, CowboysoldierFTW. What are you just making up things I said? His absence leaves the rotation with Madison Bumgarner, Robbie Ray, Luke Weaver and Zac Gallen as locks for spots. Well, that and COVID. Sports | June 30, 2020 Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Mike Leake is one of the first players to opt out of the 2020 season due to concerns about … This was not an easy decision for Mike. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Duplantier has problems throwing strikes. Leake was due $5,555,556 as the prorated share of his $15 million salary. Interesting. Clearly the risk wasn’t worth the prorated reward. Or the thought I might get sick, die and leave my kids by themselves. Players who do not have those conditions can still opt out, but will lose pay and service time. Don’t move the goalposts. By continuing to use the site, you accept our. That’s real money for a dude who has exited his prime. Personal choice over controlling others. PHOENIX -- D-backs right-hander Mike Leake has elected not to play in the upcoming 60-game season. Too much uncertainty to risk hurting his stock by poor performance so take this year off (which probably won’t go forward full steam anyway), then go into the off-season as a FA and lock in another multi-year deal. Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Mike Leake is the first known major league player to opt out of the 2020 season, sources tell ESPN. “During this global pandemic, Mike and his family had many discussions about playing this season,” Leake’s agent, Danny Horwits, said in a statement Monday. Bye. It sucks, but I don’t blame the players at all. Actually, hate is probably the wrong word. He clearly feels he or another family member is high risk or he wouldn’t opt out. After taxes. He clearly thinks that it’s high risk to play. Leake, who is a free agent heading into 2021, was the first known major league player to opt out of the season. He can get a job buddy. Leake’s agent, Danny Horwits, issued the following statement: “During this global pandemic, Mike and his family had many discussions about playing this season. To what extent it’s going to impact us, it’s hard to say. Mariners and Cardinals are probably pretty happy about this. What claim is wrong? Gotta love all the smooth-brains on here who are both absolutely wrecking a guy for both being overpaid AND for not being greedy, at the same time, when they should be just applauding the guy for doing what he knows is the right thing to do. He’s not a 25 year old kid who was going to make 500K bucks. © 2004-2020 CBS Interactive. @SteveGilbertMLB first said Leake was opting out. If the vast majority of players play, they shouldn’t. Arizona Diamondbacks Mike Leake Newsstand, luckily Arizona has strong SP depth. The details surrounding Leake’s decision aren’t known, nor need they be shared. He finished the 2019 season with an 12-11 record, 4.29 ERA and 1.289 WHIP in 197 innings. While Leake is the first known player to opt out of playing this year, he's likely not going to be the last given the health risks involved with playing during the coronavirus pandemic. As for the $5MM buyout on Leake’s 2021 option, that does not pertain to the 2020 season and should therefore still remain on the table. He appeared in 10 games for the D-backs, going 3-3 with a 4.35 ERA and 1.37 WHIP. You are a sad little person that thinks he knows everything about everyone. Im hoping Nick Markakis will be the next to opt out. Even w/o injury get off to a slow start and your numbers will never recover due to lack of games, and your value plummets. The health of his Father is more important than money. Did he have to approve the trade? Log in Register, MLB Trade Rumors is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, MLB or MLB.com, Clayton Kershaw Scratched From Game 2, Tony Gonsolin To Start, Major League Baseball Formally Announces Rule Changes For 2020 Season, Qualifying Offer Value Set At $18.9 Million, KBO’s Kiwoom Heroes To Post Ha-Seong Kim This Offseason, Reds President Of Baseball Operations Dick Williams Resigns, Class Action Status Approved In Minimum Wage Case Against MLB, Rhys Hoskins Undergoes Tommy John Surgery, Previewing The 2020-21 Free Agent Class: Second Basemen, Latest On Red Sox’ Upcoming Roster Decisions, NL Notes: Kemp, Reds, Susana, Mets, Dodgers, Forecasting The Qualifying Offer Market: Pitchers, NL West Notes: Taylor, Padres, Myers, Giants, Luciano, Dodgers Plan To Start Walker Buehler In Game 6 Of NLCS, Braves To Start A.J. I can’t see the owners fighting this and winning. Mindsets like yours = one reason we have 6% of the world population and over 20% of its COVID cases, When did Gates get a medical degree?. High-risk would include people who have heart disease, lung disease, cancer, high blood pressure, or diabetes. Dinelson Lamet, Joey lucchesi, Cal Quantrill, Mackenzie Gore, Zach Davies, Chris Paddack, Morejon, Baez, Before they consider adding ***an actually impactful starter****. Don’t think he is though…. Zimmerman specifically has worries for his mother, Cheryl, who has multiple sclerosis and his three young children, one in whom is a newborn. Lol at “grow up” – listening to experts is somehow immature to you. By Steve Adams | June 29, 2020 at 1:02pm CDT. “Definitely impacts us,” Hazen said. He just opted out of 5.5 million dollars. Last year of his contract except for a mutual option. When you have been paid over $94 million dollars for a mediocre career it is easy to opt out of a potential $5.5 million. Leake chose to pitch for AZ to be closer to his Dad and I’m sure this decision is driven by the ongoing care of his Dad. Nice to have millions in the bank. When he came to AZ he said his father was in poor health, and that’s why he wanted to play here for years leading up to the trade. I am sure you use perfect grammar every time you speak and write and you probably spent a hour on your post. Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen also said two players on Arizona’s 60-man roster tested positive for COVID-19, as did another player not in Arizona. Leake had been expected to be a part of the D-backs' starting rotation. Don’t confuse that with having more education. D-backs' Mike Leake 'hoping' to be ready for season Diamondbacks announce 60-man roster for 2020 season Leake, who is a free agent heading into … Please go into a job interview and ask for your after tax salary requirement. Envy is a more apt description of how local fans feel about the Big Blue Machine from Los Angeles. Leake went 3-3 with a 4.35 ERA with Arizona and earned his first AL Gold Glove Award for his time with the Mariners. After thorough consideration, he has chosen to opt out of playing in 2020. Not a definitive statement. It’s in the article. Forgettablouit. Leake, 32, was in the final season of a five-year, $80MM contract originally signed with the Cardinals — although he’s since been traded to Seattle and then Arizona. Virtually every one of your claims is ill-informed at best. Major League Baseball is allowing players with preexisting medical conditions or compromised immune systems to opt out of the 2020 season, but Hazen would not elaborate whether Leake falls under that category. Why have models of Colorado’s coronavirus trajectory been off? Hopefully they won’t have to and the league will officially shut down soon. Strike four when you get a job and someone asks you what your salary requirements are: I advise you to do so. I would think other players entering a FA season would consider doing likewise. You know how scary the thought of sending my kids back to school is? His choice. No, you spent more time in school than he did. Leake joined the Diamondbacks at last year's July trade deadline from the Seattle Mariners. Okay then. Related Articles You would think, at your age, you would have learned that by now. You are wrong. D-backs general manager Mike Hazen has confirmed the decision, tweets Zach Buchanan of The Athletic. I think I would probably have a different answer if it was over 162 (games) as opposed to if it was over 60.”. Young will see innings though.