He was only fifth last start in the English St Leger, but he’s at relatively short odds so there must be some mail floating around about him. Hopefully that’s a good thing,” Fellowes said.

Here is our form guide, with all the key information with Richard Freedman's expert tips on this year's horses.

Had some bad luck when 10th in the Caulfield Cup but really, he’s struggled since moving from German to Australia a year ago before this race, in which he finished 18th. “He’s earned his chance to run in a Melbourne Cup and I’m fairly confident he would get a nice cheque.”. The self-described “ordinary bloke” from Yorkshire now has shares in 10 horses with syndicators Middleham Park Racing. VOW AND DECLARE (21) 52kg — J: Craig Williams T: Danny O’Brien Odds: $12, $3.60. Frankie Dettori is a jockey on a mission as he seeks to end a Melbourne Cup hoodoo that spans more than 25 years. AFL news: Geelong defeats Brisbane Lions, Matthew Richardson... AFL Finals 2020: Patrick Dangerfield throw outrage against B... NRL Finals 2020: Penrith Panthers into grand final, 17 strai... Tennis news 2020: Roger Federer snubs Novak Djokovic, insult... AFL 2020: Geelong vs Brisbane, Cats win breaks preliminary f... Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. Worth considering. CROSS COUNTER (Barrier 5) $13 win / $4 place.

Jim Cassidy celebrates winning the 1997 Melbourne Cup on Might and Power. NEUFBOSC (23) $201/$50. Ran in the Geelong Cup instead, but was only seventh. That’s not the usual way with these European stayers, who’ll often have a month between runs.

He ran very well when fifth in this race last year, before switching to Australia and the gun Hayes-Hayes-Dabernig stable. Still, the distance remains the question mark.

I was winning Group 1s into my 50s. The Charlie Appleby-trained gelding stormed to victory last year at Flemington and is back 12 months later to try to join a select list to have won the race more than once. “He’s incredibly tough and genuine. Like Constantinople, boasts an alluring profile that is perhaps creating more excitement than is due. She hasn’t raced past 2400m and has gate 24 here. Trainer Michael Moroney said Sound’s jockey James Winks thought he was going to finish in the top five in the Caulfield Cup before he suffered interference with 200m to go. Master Of Reality finished third in the race, just over a length from the winner.

And in the 2000 Melbourne Cup I was stuck three and four wide on Diatribe and he only had gate 13. You know he’s race-fit at least, but I’d prefer others. Then at his last start he was third with 61kg in the Irish St Leger, beating home several of his rivals in this race. Ran fourth in last year's Melbourne Cup with Zac Purton aboard and this year will be ridden by triple Cup-winning jockey Kerrin McEvoy, who saluted on Cross Counter in 2018. The popular gelding forced his way into the field with a win in the Geelong Cup 11 days ago. “You’ve got to remember he was 10 weeks between runs in the Caulfield Cup and he had changed countries and changed stables twice. We were looking at their horses at the track one day and Bart said: “If the Japanese start bringing their stayers to Australia for the Melbourne Cup, we’re in big trouble.” They’re so tough; they just go and go. Will start favourite or close to it, despite no results at Cup distance. History and weight are against him, but must be respected. Sound was another horse pulled out of the Hotham Handicap as connections opted to save him for the Cup. The latest of those was a very impressive second in the Caulfield Cup, when he finished on very strong to be beaten only a length. Also won the Group 2 Adelaide Cup over the 3200m distance during March. After his third in the Caulfield Cup on his Australian debut, Mirage Dancer has trainer Natalie Young confident the son of champion Frankel can make some noise. He hasn’t been past 2400m, so that’s the obvious question mark, but he’s got a very good jockey in Ben Melham. “I’m feeling reasonably confident and he’ll be much better suited to Flemington than Caulfield. Irish expat John Allen’s life will turn full circle when he is legged aboard the Joseph O’Brien-trained Downdraft.

It wasn’t to be, with Prince Of Arran third after briefly hitting the front in the straight before being overhauled by fellow English-trained horses Cross Counter and Marmelo. Won the Group 3 Bart Cummings Stakes (2520m) at Flemington last month, carrying 57kg. Mer De Glace firmed to $7 outright favourite after coming up with gate two in the 24-horse field, just ahead of Constantinople ($8) who drew seven. “I really don’t want to stop this momentum for the Japanese horses and hopefully can get a good result for Japan.”, 3. He won two OK races back to back in Ireland within his past three starts. 7. The gelding raced to prominence winning the 3200m Adelaide Cup in March at his sixth race start.

In England, jockeys comfortably sit wide in the run and win but the tighter racing and big fields in Australia’s major handicap races make finding cover almost crucial. Getting beaten isn’t in his make up. He’s a well-performed European horse and the Ebor is a race that is a proven formula to go on and run well in the Melbourne Cup,” Oliver said. Great Britain, 5yo gelding, Teofilo-Waitress, Career: 12 starts, 6 wins, 2 seconds, 1 third.

Looking elsewhere. He’s one of the best in the world. Again, the interesting thing for me is the weights he was carrying in Ireland: 61, 62, 62.5. LATROBE (22) $21/$5. Don’t get me started! Don't have an account? Kingston Rule, in 1990, and Prince Of Penzance, in 2015, came out of that race to win the Melbourne Cup. Prince Of Arran is seen during a trackwork session at the Werribee.

MIRAGE DANCER (13) $34/$8. That race guaranteed the winner a start in the Melbourne Cup, so to ensure a place Preusker turned his attention to another “win and you’re in” race, The Bart Cummings at Flemington on October 5. (AAP Image/Vince Caligiuri)Source:AAP. Weight: 57.5kg Jockey: James Doyle Trainer: Charlie Appleby. It would be nice to turn the tide back a little bit on what’s been going on for the last decade and show we’ve still got the ability to have a Melbourne Cup horse born, bred and trained in Australia.”, 24.

At least you know he’s fit, rather than short of a run. The 2019 Melbourne Cup (known commercially as 2019 Lexus Melbourne Cup) was the … Great Britain, 6yo gelding, Frankel-Binche.

Won't cause a great deal of excitement among punters, however, and seems unlikely to challenge. W: 55.5kg J: Ben Melham T: Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young.

It’s surreal,” Smith told AAP.

I remember going to Japan with the great Cups King Bart Cummings in the late ‘80s.