We knew that people were going to stop and look and judge or whatever, but knowing that we were having a good time was what got us through it. You will know you are comfortable with yourself when you reduce to minimal your urge to self-criticize. Noisey: The top you wear in the video says "self service," so you're clearly having fun with it. Steinfeld: Um… I didn't! Noisey: With lyrics like "Pictures in my mind on replay / I'm gonna touch the pain away," you must have known some people would interpret the song as, well, a pro-masturbation banger. I think she means to "love yourself" in any sense of the word (both emotionally and and pshsically) as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.There are no wrong interpretations of this song. This is how much “Love Yourself: Answer” means to the group. Every once in a while, a female pop star will come out of nowhere with a hit song all about self-love. It is a phrase Justin Bieber uses in his song, " Love Yourself " that actually means fuck yourself, and is closely related to fuck off. Steinfeld: Oh, for sure. Read the rest of the interview here. It turned into me and a couple of friends and some other people I'd met that day basically just being ourselves and goofing around on a street corner in downtown Los Angeles. How would you feel today? And while we await new music from Ms. Steinfeld, peep our most-anticipated albums for this season. I think for me the song just has a really strong self-empowerment message, and whether you take that as something physical or not, it basically means the same thing. Noisey: How did you prepare yourself for that awkward question? The media is quick to assume it's about physical self-love, as in, like, masturbation. In an interview with Noisey, the 18-year-old starlet addressed the rumors once and for all. Hailee Steinfeld is setting the record straight on what she hopes her fans can take away from her hit song "Love Myself.". I was obviously a little overwhelmed with this being my first ever music video, but when me and the director sat down to talk about concepts, it came down to, like, I just want to have fun with this. Honestly, I think most songs are subject to the listeners’ interpretation, and that's absolutely the case with this song. In a new interview with Hailee Seinfeld, the 18-year-old actress-turned-singer addressed the "Love Myself" masturbation rumors once and for all. I think it was meant to push the envelope. That was basically the whole idea behind the video. To love yourself is to become deeply comfortable with yourself. However it has a double meaning since while she fucks off, she should love herself if she thinks that she is so important to think that he will still think about her and wants her back. I guess that's the end of that! Actress-turned-singer Hailee Steinfeld has been dealing with this ever since she dropped the absolute banger "Love Myself.". Imagine taking a test and getting 75 of 100 for a 'C' grade. It's about being able to provide for yourself and knowing how much power there is in that.