Tigers symbolize power and beauty in Hindu religion and mythology in particular, perhaps partly due to the fact that tigers pose a very real danger to human life in the Indian coastlands. © copyright 2003-2020 Study.com. Log in or sign up to add this lesson to a Custom Course. Did Piscine really live through a miracle involving a tiger, an orangutan, a zebra and other jungle animals, or did his religious background, along with psychological stress, influence his interpretation and recollection of how the adventure transpired? ", Meaning of The Scream (1893) Painting by Edvard Munch: Art Analysis, Salvador Dali Persistence of Memory: Meaning of the Melting Clocks, Guernica Meaning: Analysis & Interpretation of Painting by Pablo Picasso, Time and Motion in Art: Futurist Paintings of Movement, The Presence of Absence & the Absence of Presence: War & The Holocaust, Viva la Vida Meaning: Coldplay, Delacroix & Frida Kahlo Watermelons, Starry Night: Meaning of the Vincent Van Gogh Landscape Painting, Paint it Black Meaning: Rolling Stones' Song Lyrics Interpretation & Analysis, Dreamcatcher Meaning: History, Legend & Origins of Dream Catchers. The only survivors are Pi, a tiger, a hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan. Whether or not you interpret it this way, the name is important because its French translation of 'fish' or 'swimming pool' reverberates with the themes of water and ocean life. It's possible that Pi's father was just wrong about this particular tiger, but it is more likely that the tiger has a symbolic meaning in Life of Pi. With the first one, I found myself in a debate with the Writer/ Director of the film via twitter. He told grand stories about swimming and competitions. By the end, he has turned the skeptic into a believer. The shortened form refers to the ratio of a circle's circumference divided by its diameter. Sciences, Culinary Arts and Personal Storytelling. Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night is one of the most famous pieces of art today. The Kid A bear logo has become a symbol of Radiohead itself and may have been inspired by American artist Charles Burchfield. What does 'Viva la Vida' mean in English in the Coldplay 2008 album and song lyrics? How Do I Use Study.com's Assign Lesson Feature? So although the human story makes a lot of sense, it was not intended to be a twist ending. Pi learns that life exists in balance with nature. Austin says: March 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm DKw it was not at Pi’s hands that his mother died because the hyena killed the orangutan not the tiger. But what is the true meaning of Van Gogh's masterpiece? He says, 'No one called 'Pissing' in his childhood would be caught dead with a cup of pee at his lips, even alone in a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific.'. Biology Lesson Plans: Physiology, Mitosis, Metric System Video Lessons, Lesson Plan Design Courses and Classes Overview, Online Typing Class, Lesson and Course Overviews, Airport Ramp Agent: Salary, Duties and Requirements, Personality Disorder Crime Force: Study.com Academy Sneak Peek. credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level. Pi proceeds to tell the Japanese men this improbable story of him and the tiger, and how they stumbled upon a mysterious island. In the past, I have only written three posts on movies. 10 chapters | If you have not read or seen Life of Pi, I highly suggest you do so before reading this analysis.I don’t want to spoil it! When you look into his eyes you are seeing your own emotions reflected back at you.