The only active player older than our man Joe is Zdeno Chara, currently ringing it in at 43. If a new GM is hired, they’d look at coaches like Peter Laviolette or Gerard Gallant immediately. (See Moore, Trevor. He protects his players and staff. And whether he can pull it off in free agency and via trades. Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas is a buoyant sort. Since his choices stopped making clear sense to me right after the signing of T.J. Brodie, I also choose to believe this means he’s still got something up his sleeve, and not that he doesn’t know why he’s doing the things he’s doing and/or he’s not as infallible as I like to pretend he is. All Kyle Dubas and his staff drafted and developed players/systems based on metrics and maintaining puck possession. But Shanahan instinctively grasped the concept of PDO, or the rhythms and ebbs of shooting percentage and save percentage, as a player; Dubas grasped it, among other things, as an executive. "Sports Broadcaster: "Here comes the oldest player in the league. “He came well prepared and has some excellent ideas,” Greyhounds majority shareholder Lou Lukenda told the Globe & Mail in October 2011. Now Dubas seems like he’s had his Come To Darcy Tucker moment, extolling the virtues of physical play and being a team that’s hard to play against. section: | slug: who-is-kyle-dubas-meet-the-toronto-maple-leafs-new-32-year-old-stats-centric-gm | sport: hockey | route: article_single.us | And sometimes you have to overpay in a trade in order to do so. It has been a pleasure to see the passion, dedication and commitment he has shown our organization over his tenure as GM while ensuring the sustained success for the Soo Greyhounds program.”. To order Unlike the typical hockey executive, Dubas is very active on Twitter. After a flurry of signings this weekend, it seems that Kyle Dubas is still not done, with rumours continuing to fly about the Leafs GM and what moves he’s yet to make.

In 2018, the Marlies captured the Calder Cup as AHL Champions. "Who knows if we are even going to play. Email me at askkevinmcgran@gmail.com and I’ll answer it in Friday’s Mailbag. [1] In 2015, Dubas was named the first recipient of Brock's Outstanding Young Alumni Award, for his accomplishments after graduation. Kyle Dubas was born on November 29th, 1985.

So why, fire him? [3] While at Brock, Dubas worked as a scout for the Ontario Hockey League (OHL)'s Sault Ste. So let's see where this goes. Successful Marlies forward returns on an AHL deal. Maple Leafs sign goalie Aaron Dell to a one year contract, Marlies sign Rourke Chartier to an AHL contract, Ilya Mikheyev’s arbitration hearing date is set.

[20], Dubas's parents divorced when he was a child, his father was a police officer and his mother worked as an ambulance dispatcher. These are the Maple Leafs with a star studded team made up of Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Morgan Rielly, and Mitch Marner.

But after doing his due dilligence, Dubas was comfortable and believed Keefe had earned the shot at redemption. Are they done signing now? Marie Greyhounds, of the Ontario Hockey League, at the age of 25. He holds his cards close to his vest. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league is still in the preliminary stages of planning for next season and has no comment. Brendan Shanahan, President and Alternate Governor of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced today that Kyle Dubas has been named the 17th General Manager in the Club's history. “As an organization we are very excited for the opportunity that has presented itself for Kyle starting today,” Lukenda said in a release. That comes with the territory as the manager of the world’s most popular hockey team. Some have said Dubas is the Theo Epstein of hockey. Hmmm. To order copies of

I’m very thankful for this opportunity, but equally grateful to the Greyhounds organization and the city of Sault Ste. It seemed to work in the regular season, not so much now. Nothing official yet from @HCDavos_off. The #leafs front office shakeup signals a massive change in direction. Maple Leafs Free Agency RecapThe perfect article for everyone who, like me, has near zero recollection of what happened in the harried excitement of the weekend. Dubas spent his youth in various roles with the Sault Ste. "[18], During his time with the Greyhounds in the OHL, Dubas believed that data could provide a way for smaller teams to close the gap with the league's traditional powerhouse programs. It’s whether or not you can do the job, and it was clear to us quickly that he’s going to be good at it. If we aren't playing in front of fans a lot of teams can't make it. Kyle Dubas (born November 29, 1985) is a Canadian ice hockey executive who is currently the general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League (NHL). World Juniors actually still happening in 2020 question mark? At age 25, Dubas was hired as the general manager of the Sault Ste. [4] After assuming the GM role, he hired Sheldon Keefe as head coach. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League, including a term as the team's general manager after graduating from university. By checking this box, I agree to the terms of service and privacy policy of Rogers Media.

Brendan Shanahan says he "polled the hockey world" to find out who the great up-and-coming minds are in hockey. He won’t play there without an NHL-out clause. The Leafs made a progressive hire with the addition of 28-year-old Kyle Dubas to their front office. This week, he was among the last to release his list of players who were not getting qualifying offers, because he wanted to see what other teams did first. Friday marked a big day for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and it had nothing to do with the team playing in the postseason. Customize your Sportsnet lineup for the latest news from your favourite leagues and teams.

Saturday’s FTB: Is Kyle Dubas finished signing? [2] Dubas is married and has a son. “I think, as everybody knows, there’s some baggage there that was accrued when Sheldon was a young man,” Dubas told reporters after the hiring. Marie, Ontario. Not usually buoyant or often buoyant, but always buoyant. Now he puts all these experiences together as he heads into his third season of free agency. Those make a team hard to play against. Ad Choices Before Shanahan was hired to be team president, the Leafs were not considered a forward-thinking organization. I remember – or at least I think I remember – Kyle Dubas telling me once that his goal was to be the youngest general manager in the NHL. Dubas and his co-assistant GM Mark Hunter were considered top candidates for the position. He’s learned from Lou Lamoriello, using time to his advantage whenever possible. Dubas may not be well known to the average Maple Leafs fan, but he’s a prominent name in hockey circles. The combination of Keefe and Dubas resulted in significant on ice improvement for the Greyhounds, and during Dubas's last season as GM of the Greyhounds, they finished second overall in the OHL. He landed a job with Uptown Sports Management, where he represented players such as Kyle Clifford and Andrew Desjardins. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) in 2011. No soap operas, only hatred. And finally, Vegas Golden Knights owner Bill Foley may have accidentally given away the league’s hand as far as what they’re thinking NHL hockey might look like in 2021. At the time of his hire, Dubas was the second youngest general manager in NHL history, behind John Chayka of the Arizona Coyotes. — Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) July 22, 2014, Shanahan says Dubas has "come up a different way" than he did in hockey world. He attended his interview with a detailed plan to improve the team, which had struggled in recent years. He has four sisters. He landed with the Maple Leafs in 2014 as an assistant GM and, a year later, served as one of two interim GMs for the team. He attended Brock University and graduated with a degree in Sports Management, and started his career by briefly acting as a player agent. Marie Greyhounds. In 2018, the Marlies captured the Calder Cup as the AHL champions. He worked with Uptown Sports Management and represented Kyle Clifford and Andrew Desjardins. Republication or distribution of this content is He had multiple family ties to the organization — his father was a former Greyhounds intern, and his grandfather, Walter, coached the team from 1960 to 1967. Marie Greyhounds.

“Kyle is a young executive that has made a strong name for himself in hockey with a progressive style, work ethic and maturation beyond his years,” Shanahan said in a press release. Kyle Dubas Wiki – Kyle Dubas Bio. expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Toronto I didn’t until I went to double check that I wasn’t about to be comically, overconfidently wrong in this article), is also one of the oldest players in the league.

He believes the core of his team can do that. [4] Dubas hired former Greyhounds head coach Keefe to oversee the Marlies development. https://t.co/3jZwu8r4x8. [4] Initially his analytics with the Greyhounds focused on how much time the team spent controlling the puck, which was largely done using manual review of video at the time.

Currently, the talk is all about moving Kasperi Kapanen for some relief, that won’t move the needle in changing this team. All rights reserved. But when he finally got the title — at the ripe age of 32 — he’d been eclipsed.

Keefe, seems to be getting out-coached by the more seasoned John Tortorella in this series. "[1] In January 2015, Forbes named Dubas amongst its 30 Under 30 brightest young stars in the sport industry. You may have created an account with another Rogers Media account that can be used to sign in here. I think they’d still prefer underpaid players who fight.). And like Chayka, Dubas has a background in statistical analysis, first emerging as a general manager for his hometown Sault Ste. https://t.co/rV37S55Epr, "I think they are going to be playing a Canadian division. Here’s the lowdown on Shanahan’s latest hiring. But really, I mean Nikita Kucherov was perhaps their most tenacious and aggressive forward in the Stanley Cup final, not adjectives previously ascribed to him.