Of course, since there are all of 3 days left in the season, and possibly some of you are already done or knocked out (condolences). Justus Kane Sheffield (born May 13, 1996) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Seattle Mariners of Major League Baseball (MLB). To put it more plainly, when a hit ball has the ideal contact and swing stroke that produces the best results for hard contact. All Rights Reserved. Coolwhip says: PS – first time I was relieved to hear about an oblique/back re: Burnes’ last outing. That’ll play. Sheffield, now 23, opened 2019 in Triple-A Tacoma and, like most pitchers in Triple-A last year, did not fare well. Subscribe to the Danny and Gallant podcast by clicking any of the links below: • Apple Podcasts You’re a huge asset to razzball. Would love your dynasty outlook on Burnes and Clint Frazier. So obviously, it’s good when a pitcher can avoid those as much as possible. I think not. And I’m realizing that there might be some of you with no idea what I’m talking about. Avoiding hard contact (or contact at all) like a crowded bar in COVID season is the pitcher’s primary goal (duh), and when a pitcher can take a step forward in that area it usually leads to good things. ... Justus Sheffield #33 2020. It’s expected that Sheffield will open the season as one of the Mariners’ five starting pitchers for a club that will feature a number of young players who are getting their first extended looks at the major league level. After he got stretched out he was very good. But the improvement in Barrel/BBE% is great, and the better command is always great. Listen to the full interviews with Dipoto and Servais here (Dipoto) and here (Servais). • Podbean September 25, 2020 at 11:48 am (link), Great stuff, ‘whip! Sheffield allowed one run on five hits and two walks over five innings during Game 1 of Saturday's doubleheader against the Athletics. Fastfoward to this season, he rarely throws the fourseamer and replaced it a sinker which has been a positive. Despite being drafted in the first round by the Cleveland Indians in 2014, Sheffield is still extremely young and Dipoto says the best is yet to come for the southpaw. One of the Mariners’ first big moves in their rebuild ahead of the 2019 season was trading left-handed starter James Paxton to the New York Yankees in exchange for a trio of prospects, with the prize being then-top-100 prospect Justus Sheffield, a left-handed pitcher. A heavily reduced HR/FB rate this season, xBA and EV etc say he’s not quite there yet. Ryan Divish. Sep. 19, 2020 at 9:24 pm Updated Sep. 19, 2020 at 10:52 pm . September 25, 2020 at 4:17 pm (link). says: September 25, 2020 at 11:43 am (link), Hey Cool! Piscotty proposes. His walk-rate has been his kryptonite. I think he’s well on his way to being a 3.50 ERA pitcher next year with a near 9 K/9 and 3 BB/9, which is always a recipe for success. ? For his final start of the year, he faces the Athletics at home (OAK is .500 on the road this season). Awesome image, as always, Grey says: Some the other metrics point to him not being nearly as dominate as you would hope. All rights reserved. Did Piscotty look comfortable there? “I was really happy with how he went about it. “He looked great (this week),” Servais said on Wednesday. IP/GS: ERA: BB% SO% HR/9: AVG: xwOBA: 5.5: 3.75: 8.5: 22.1: 0.3.246.303: MLB: 4.46: 8.3: 22.9: 1.4.245.322: Even when Sheffield didn’t have his best stuff, he continued battling and usually delivered strong outings for manager Scott Servais. Austin Nola vs SF Sleeper: SP Justus Sheffield. And that’s just between the two of us. He struck out one and didn't factor in the decision. Coolwhip says: By . Barrells is a term you hear us throw around here a lot. 6-keys: media/fantasynews/mlb/reg/free/stories. Ehhhhh, let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet. Sheffield performed well in 2020 with a 3.58 ERA, 1.30 WHIP and 48:20 K:BB across 55.1 innings and should enter next season with a secure spot in Seattle's rotation. Seattle Times staff reporter. A negative fastball is never a good thing. In 13 games with the Rainiers, Sheffield had a 6.87 ERA, 1.818 WHIP and gave up 41 walks while striking out 48 in just 55 innings. “I mean physically, when he stands out there on the mounds and he’s throwing alongside our other starting pitchers, you quickly train to him. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: fantasynews | arena: mlb | pageType: stories | More News. Sheffield has a good fastball that will sit in the low- to mid-90s, touching as high as 97 and a decent changeup, but his best pitch by far is his slider. Who am I going to hang with away from the park?’ And going through what he went through last year having to go all the way back to Double-A kind of getting back on track with his command of his pitches. He ended the season with the Mariners and in 36 innings, Sheffield’s ERA was 5.50, his WHIP was 1.722 and he struck out 37 while walking 18. Mixing speed and movement has helped his slider play up whereas before he had an extremely flat fastball that wasn’t working for him. I agree that CBS Sports can send me the "Fantasy Baseball Today Newsletter" newsletter. (Getty). His only meh start was still K filled and likely influenced by minor injury. And more importantly, he looks confident,” Dipoto told Danny O’Neil and Paul Gallant Monday. Justus Sheffield has another strong start as Mariners snap losing skid . Sheffield is top 5 in the league in lowest Barrel/BBE% among starting pitchers. The left-hander wasn't at his best as he generated only one swinging strike in 82 pitches and set a season low for strikeouts, but he battled to put together a solid performance in his last start of the season. Which is a bit deceptive since he started a bit rough but rounded into form as the season got underway. Though this season it looks like he’s finally making headway. September 25, 2020 at 12:39 pm (link), Grey says: After the first 2 tuneup starts, Sheffield was actually very good. His WHIP also went down tremendously to 1.026. at His command had always been a work in progress. Servais also expects a lot from the lefty. “‘How do I fit in? There is a good chance they will not be starting all their regulars as they have the AL West locked up and Matt Chapman is already out of the season. So, other than walks, what is he doing differently? This year Justus all but abandoned his fastball in favor of a sinker. Or maybe they’re planned for other posts! scoboticus says: Last year he had a walkrate over 10% as well as both 9.9% and 15.6% in 2 seasons of AAA. Wilmer Flores vs SD, Coolwhip says: Malicious Phenoms says: Is he sub-3.00 ERA pitcher now? Though, take heed, I am here for you all that are playing for the championships and top 3 finishes. Along with some improved command, he now has all his pitches with positive value. A demotion to Double-A Arkansas saw Sheffield get into a groove, tossing 78 innings with a 2.18 ERA and struck out 85 batters while walking 18. So why is he a good buy for these final days and beyond? Justus Sheffield struggled to get acclimated with the Mariners in 2019, but Jerry Dipoto and Scott Servais expect him to improve tremendously in 2020. “Sheff’s got great stuff,” Dipoto said. Even with a flurry of moves acquiring elite prospects, Sheffield was still considered one of the best prospects in Seattle’s farm system, if not the best, but ended the season outside of MLB Pipeline’s top-100 list for the first time in years after he struggled while other Seattle prospects shined. Betting stats and traditional stats for Seattle Mariners player Justus Sheffield, including pitching splits and historical stats. If that improves, or is similar to where it was when he dominated in Double-A, his plus pitches will carry him far. Want more conversations like this? Great stuff! September 25, 2020 at 1:34 pm (link), Duda Want Build a Snowman? Fight on to victory! Via statcast a “barrel” is: A classification assigned to batted-ball events whose comparable hit types (in terms of exit velocity and launch angle) have led to a minimum .500 batting average and 1.500 slugging percentage since Statcast was implemented Major League wide in 2015. Razzball.com and the Razzball logo units are copyright Razzball LLC.Site by Design & Develop, Top 100 Prospects for 2021 Fantasy Baseball, Steamer/Razzball 2020 Preseason Projections, Steamer/Razzball 2020 Rest of Season Projections, Relievonator (Today/Tomorrow Projections), Batter vs Pitcher Matchups (DailyBasebalData.com), Deep Thoughts: Justus League Winners Left, Injury analysis for week 6 of NFL DFS on FanDuel and DraftKings, Week 6 NFL Betting Picks and Strategy 10/15/20, DFS NFL Podcast – Week 6 Game by Game Breakdown for DraftKings and FanDuel, DFS NFL Podcast – Week 6 Cash Game Podcast for DraftKings and FanDuel. The Streamonator is not a big fan of this start, but I’m in on it especially after holding the Padres to 1 run last week at home. “He came in, he understands what’s in front of him and the opportunity … He came in focused (and) he’s thrown very well in the bullpen.”. Homeboy got himself a new pitch! section: | slug: mariners-justus-sheffield-no-decision-in-final-start | sport: baseball | route: article_single_fantasy | Where Sheffield struggled, as evidenced in the numbers above, was with his command. He previously played for the New York Yankees.. 1:43 am ET, Mariners' Justus Sheffield: Wins consecutive starts, Mariners' Justus Sheffield: Picks up third win, Mariners' Justus Sheffield: Solid in no-decision, Mariners' Justus Sheffield: Pummeled by Angels, Mariners' Justus Sheffield: Effective in second win, Mariners' Justus Sheffield: Strong outing against Astros.