Letter to niece Caroline (1814-12-06) regarding a story Caroline sent her [, I am quite honoured by your thinking me capable of drawing such a clergyman as you gave the sketch of in your note of Nov. 16th. I should hardly like to live with her ladies and gentlemen, in their elegant but confined houses. But, in general, I can assure you that they are all passed over, and all very ill used. I could read his prose on salary, but not Jane's. Certainly, my home at my uncle’s brought me acquainted with a circle of admirals. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”, “I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”, “The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. there is nothing like staying at home for real comfort. Single women have a dreadful propensity for being poor. It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death.”, “For [Jane Austen and the readers of Pride and Prejudice], as for Mr. Darcy, [Elizabeth Bennett's] solitary walks express the independence that literally takes the heroine out of the social sphere of the houses and their inhabitants, into a larger, lonelier world where she is free to think: walking articulates both physical and mental freedom.”, “I have the highest respect for your nerves, they are my old friends.”, “Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”, “But some characters in books are really real--Jane Austen's are; and I know those five Bennets at the opening of Pride and Prejudice, simply waiting to raven the young men at Netherfield Park, are not giving one thought to the real facts of marriage.”, “My object then," replied Darcy, "was to show you, by every civility in my power, that I was not so mean as to resent the past; and I hoped to obtain your forgiveness, to lessen your ill opinion, by letting you see that your reproofs had been attended to. Young ladies (at least in provincial towns) were expected to sit down in the parlour to sew,—during which reading aloud was permitted,—or to practice their music; but so as to be fit to receive callers, without any signs of blue‐stockingism which could be reported abroad. ", • Biography• Books / Works• Jane Austen Movies• Quotes• Life Timeline• Jane Austen Basics• Rank and Class in the Regency Period• Authors Like Jane• Regency Period Glossary• Regency Period• Regency Period Fashions• Royal Genealogy• British Military Ranks• Researching Jane Austen, • Pride & Prejudice• Sense & Sensibility• Persuasion• Emma• Northanger Abbey• Mansfield Park, DESTINATIONS:• Jane Austen Museum at Chawton• Jane Austen Center at Bath• Winchester Cathedral• Reading, UK• Lyme Regis. The young men are accustomed to much greater refinement. For you alone, I think and plan. Jane Austen may have been protected from truth: but it was precious little of truth that was protected from her. Sophia shrieked and fainted on the ground—I screamed and instantly ran mad! One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it, unless it has been all suffering, nothing but suffering. She wrote of the times in which she lived, of the class of people with which she associated, and in the language which was usual to her as an educated lady. Juli 1817Andere Namen: Jane Austenová. Many thanks for your kind care for my health; I certainly have not been well for many weeks, and about a week ago I was very poorly. W. H. Auden, Letter to Lord Byron (1936), lines 113–119; Jane Austen? Letter (August 1796) on arriving in London [. Facts are such horrid things! He has fame and profit enough as a poet, and should not be taking the bread out of other people's mouths. An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. Emma may prove herself ill-bred, vulgar, a nonentity. I wish I could finish stories as fast as you can. Here, indeed, in this unfinished and in the main inferior story, are all the elements of Jane Austen’s greatness. By Julia Seales. No man will admire her the more, no woman will like her the better for it. You will kindly make allowance therefore for any indistinctness of writing, by attributing it to this venial error. Because she did this, she remains the most artistic of the English novelists, and alone worthy to be matched with the great Scandinavian and Slavic and Latin artists. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. There is safety in reserve, but no attraction. It is exquisitely true. My feelings will not be repressed. I hope he hung himself, or took the surname of Bone or underwent some direful penance or other. When I saw the waggons at the door, and thought of all the trouble they must have in moving, I began to reproach myself for not having liked them better, but since the waggons have disappeared my conscience has been closed again, and I am excessively glad they are gone. It was, perhaps, one of those cases in which advice is good or bad only as the event decides. You will have a great deal of unreserved discourse with Mrs. K., I dare say, upon this subject, as well as upon many other of our family matters. To flatter and follow others, without being flattered and followed in turn, is but a state of half enjoyment. For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? Also read again and for the third time at least Miss Austen's very finely written novel of Pride and Prejudice. Dezember 1775Todesdatum: 18. I cannot anyhow continue to find people agreeable; I respect Mrs. Chamberlayne for doing her hair well, but cannot feel a more tender sentiment. Wie oft wird die Freude durch Vorbereitungen verdorben, durch törichte Vorbereitungen!“, „Frauen bilden sich rasch ein, ein wenig Bewunderung hätte mehr zu bedeuten.“. Below, you will find a selection of quotes from Jane Austen herself and her works. Letter to J. Edward Austen (1817-05-27) [. Her place is among the Immortals; but the pedestal is erected in a quiet niche of the great temple. Life is presented to us, not as it may be taken in rare situations, in picturesque emergencies, but as we see it everyday. Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure. I think it an admirable book, & I dare say you will agree with me. Letter to Cassandra (1799-06-11) on decorating her hat [. Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies. My present elegancies have not yet made me indifferent to such matters. We do not look in great cities for our best morality. Why do you like Miss Austen so very much? I rather imagine indeed that nieces are seldom chosen but out of compliment to some aunt or another. It is an extremely awkward situation. Adm. Stanhope is a gentleman-like man, but then his legs are too short and his tail too long. It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. Suicide is more respectable. It is a lovely night, and they are much to be pitied who have not been taught to feel, in some degree, as you do; who have not, at least, been given a taste for Nature in early life. Said by Fanny Price in a 1999 adaptation of. I would recommend to her and Mr. D. the simple regimen of separate rooms. Mamma says that she was then the prettiest, silliest, most affected, husband-hunting butterfly she ever remembers; and a friend of mine, who visits her now, says that she has stiffened into the most perpendicular, precise, taciturn piece of “single blessedness” that ever existed, and that, till ‘Pride and Prejudice’ showed what a precious gem was hidden in that unbending case, she was no more regarded in society than a poker or a fire-screen, or any other thin upright piece of wood or iron that fills its corner in peace and quietness.