The commander attempts to outrun and outmaneuver the sonar object, but cannot. Tissue from a huge sea creature is discovered jammed in the submarine's dive planes. A Navy submarine commander joins a pair of marine biologists to stop a giant octopus from destroying San Francisco. It Came From Beneath the Sea was the first collaboration between special effects wizard Ray Harryhausen and producer Charles H. Schneer. The acting is O.K. By purchasing this item, you are transacting with Google Payments and agreeing to the Google Payments. No one's rated or reviewed this product yet. Please try again. They escape, and together they hastily arrange for all Pacific coast waters to be mined before departing for San Francisco and the Navy's headquarters. [9], Schneer was refused permission to shoot on the actual Golden Gate Bridge, so he put the camera on the back of a bakery truck and drove it back and forth over the bridge several times to get footage. . To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. With its radioactivity making it impossible to defeat with any conventional weapons, the beast wreaks havoc on the city, destroying nearly everything in its path, including the famed Golden Gate Bridge. Directed by Robert Gordon. Both scientists conclude that the creature is from the Mindanao Deep, having been forced from its natural habitat by hydrogen bomb testing in the area, which has made the giant octopus radioactive, driving off its natural food supply.[4]. Learn more about the program. Reviewed in the United States on March 13, 2020. I am a Sci Fi nut so the more 'B' rated the movie the better...if its not good with the plot, you can always have a laugh at the vintage 'special effects'! Description. Harryhausen's great stop-motion special effects are a highlight of the movie. The creature, however, catches sight of the bridge and attacks it, the electrical voltage irritating it even more. As in his classic The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, director Eugene Lourie plunges us into a thrilling stomping ground, unleashing another Thunder Lizard to stomp on everything in sight. Before "Jurassic Park," there was this sci-fi classic about a frozen dinosaur that is freed from its 100 million year Arctic imprisonment and takes off on a path of destruction. It Came from Beneath the Sea (Colorized) Rent €3.99. The script by George Worthing Yates was designed to showcase the stop motion animation special effects of Ray Harryhausen. When more people are attacked and killed, the Defense Department authorizes Pete to take out the submarine and fire the torpedo; John joins Pete while Lesley remains at the base. A preview of the first issue was included on the 50th Anniversary DVD release of the film.[18]. An atomic submarine encounters an unknown object while on a shakedown cruise...a giant octopus, mutated by an H-bomb! Reviewed in the United States on March 22, 2018, I really liked this a lot better than I thought I would in Color. The only survivor is Hopper and he's frightened that he may have lost a canister holding specimens of Venusian life. The boat is disabled but manages to free itself and return to Pearl Harbor. But when Dr. Joyce removes her radiation suit, you are dazzled by the flash of her sultry dark eyes and momentarily forget about the specimen . Once you select Rent you'll have 14 days to start watching the movie and 48 hours to finish it. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. I loved it....but then I love all the old 50's Sci Fi and especially the ones by Harryhausen. Buy It Came from Beneath the Sea (Colorized) - Microsoft Store It Came From Beneath the Sea was the first collaboration between special effects wizard Ray Harryhausen and producer Charles H. Schneer. In its arsenal: a strength to topple buildings (King Kong’s Willis O’Brien contributes rampaging stop-motion effects), a stride that flattens cars, a flesh-searing radioactive ray and a ticked-off attitude. Cookies help us deliver our services. Later, an inspection of the sub's exterior finds a highly radioactive mass stuck to its surface. The survivors are questioned by psychiatrists, and when the first sailor's description of a creature with giant tentacles is met with skepticism, the other sailors refuse to testify. Rentals are not eligible. Based on a story by science fiction master Ray Bradbury ("A Sound of Thunder," "Something Wicked This Way Comes"), with great special effects by Academy Award-winner Ray Harryhausen ("Clash of the Titans," "One Million Years B.C. John takes a helicopter along the shoreline and baits the sea with dead sharks in an effort to lure the creature inland. Vale for money for a rare DVD. Fun Ray Harryhausen science fiction film and a great DVD! There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or later, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Windows Phone 8, Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 10 or later. [7], Much of the filming was done at the San Francisco Naval Shipyard, including scenes aboard a submarine, and several naval personnel were given supporting roles. An atomic submarine encounters an unknown object while on a shakedown cruise...a giant octopus, mutated by an H-bomb! For a scene that takes place on a stretch of Pacific coastline, Gordon and his crew dumped several truckloads of sand onto a sound stage at Columbia, which they backed with a rear projection screen. Very enjoyable but bought as a present for my mother who loves the old B movies the same as myself. . "The Top 21 Most Kick-Ass Giant Monsters in Movie History! Bill is later attacked along the beach by the giant octopus, right in front of the two scientists. An atomic submarine encounters an unknown object while on a shakedown cruise...a giant octopus, mutated by an H-bomb! Overall a nice package. Again!" Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. It Came From Beneath The Sea is a classic from 1955 love watching these movies from the 50tys they were the best you can watch this movie in black&white or in color the Blu-ray is excellent. It should be done in Blu ray, Reviewed in the United States on February 17, 2018. You order the substance to be sealed in a box and taken to a lab in Hawaii. The beginning of his long-running relationship with Columbia Pictures and his lifelong partnership with producer Charles H. Schneer - albeit under the auspices of churn `em out fast and cheap executive producer Sam Katzman - It Came from Beneath the Sea is one of Ray Harryhausen's earliest creature features and, sadly, one of his weakest. By purchasing this item, you are transacting with Google Payments and agreeing to the Google Payments. "I don't think I would have made that type of picture if I hadn't been able to get After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. (2008), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=It_Came_from_Beneath_the_Sea&oldid=979670057, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 22 September 2020, at 02:38. It's a cool movie, don't miss it. The biggest problem is that most of the first hour is taken up with conversations, briefings and press conferences as the unseen object that damaged the Navy's latest nuclear sub is finally revealed to be a giant octopus drawn to the surface in search of food after becoming irradiated in a nuclear test and inadvertently warning off its natural prey. The residents of San Francisco panic and begin a mass exodus down the peninsula. 3 … With its radioactivity making it impossible to defeat with any conventional weapons, the beast wreaks havoc on the city, destroying nearly everything in its path, including the famed Golden Gate Bridge. It Came from Beneath the Sea (Colorized) A Navy submarine commander joins a pair of marine biologists to stop a giant octopus from destroying San Francisco. Some of the bridge scenes employ a shooting miniature of a bridge support, which was then composited in post-production over live footage of the real support; this is the bridge section that the "sixtopus" is seen clinging to in the final scene.