When Margaret’s fiancé, John, is hospitalized for depression, she faces a choice: carry on with their plans, or back away from the suffering it may bring her. Why or why not? IMAGINE ME GONE by Adam Haslett, Read by Ellen Archer & Robert Fass- Audiobook Excerpt by HachetteAudio published on 2016-04-25T18:53:20Z. Question: How do you arrange to skip town? We use cookies to improve our website and give you the best service possible. By: Cancel anytime. Although Bennie and Sasha never discover each other’s pasts, the listener does, in intimate detail, along with the secret lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs, over many years, in locales as varied as New York, San Francisco, Naples, and Africa. . Michael, the mentally ill son of a father who committed suicide - is supposed to be the centrepiece of the story - yet he is by far the most annoying and unrealistic character in the book.Sex scenes - before reading the book, I noticed a few comments amongst reviewers expressing disapproval of the sex scenes in the book. From a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award finalist, a story of a family facing the ultimate question: How far will we go for those we love the most?When Margaret’s fiancé, John, is hospitalized for depression, she faces a choice: carry on with their plans, or back away from the suffering it may bring her. Download: Robert Fass is a veteran actor and twice winner of the prestigious Audie Award for best narration. Start a free 30-day trial today and get your first audiobook free. I have listened and recommended far better stories than this one. Haslett relates the consequences in a clear and authentic way. -------- It seems to me that the author tried to cobble together a story by cynically trying to add the "gritty realism" of suicide, mental illness, homelessness, unemployment and a random, unnecessary side-story involving a gay brother with the hope of writing something confronting and modern. Denis Johnson, Narrated by: www.tumblr.com/blog/hachetteaudio Well done, but unless someone is seeking to understand what people suffering from mental illness go through, to "walk a mile in their shoes," I don't know that I would go out of my way to recommend it. He has earned mulltiple Earphones Awards, including one for his narration of Francisco Goldman’s Say Her Name, which was named one of AudioFile magazine’s Best Audiobooks of 2011. By: At the heart of it is their eldest son, Michael, a brilliant, anxious music fanatic, who makes sense of the world through parody, and the story of how, over the span of decades, his younger siblings-the savvy and responsible Celia, and the ambitious and tightly controlled Alec-struggle along with their mother to care for Michael's increasingly troubled and precarious existence. The most gifted novel I have read, accurate, showing exactly the face of the monster and how it feels the pain and exhaustion. $14.95 a month after 30 days. 5 out of 5 stars fabulous performance, incisive writing By working mom on 05-22-19 By: Colson Whitehead, Narrated by: Ellen Archer, Unabridged: Over the span of decades, his younger siblings - the savvy and responsible Celia and the ambitious and tightly controlled Alec - struggle along with their mother to care for Michael's increasingly troubled and precarious existence. The descriptions of his experiences masterfully wove together his mental chaos and reality so well I often was unsure myself which was the truth. Listen to "Imagine Me Gone" by Adam Haslett available from Rakuten Kobo. (, The Underground Railroad (Oprah's Book Club), By: As his story unfolds, we witness both his shocking personal defeats and the radical changes that transform America in his lifetime. The author gives you nothing to hang onto or care about with these characters - particularly those who you are supposed to care about most as the story lurches constantly forward both in time and to other people's perspectives. Cancel anytime. Too much dysfunction. Susan Choi. He is one of the cool kids, ready to fight or, better, freestyle about fighting if it keeps his peers from thinking of him as weak. © 2005 - 2020 AudioBookStore.com - All Rights Reserved. Listen to Imagine Me Gone audio book by Adam Haslett. enjoyed this on my long drives- cars are boring and this novel was deeply moved me exploring mental illness and how it effects those closest. Over the span of decades, his younger siblings -- the savvy and responsible Celia and the ambitious and tightly controlled Alec -- struggle along with their mother to care for Michael's increasingly troubled and precarious existence. The story is told by Cyril’s son Danny, as he and his older sister, the brilliantly acerbic and self-assured Maeve, are exiled from the house where they grew up by their stepmother. winner of the Lambda Literary Award and shortlisted for the Commonwealth Prize. Denis Johnson. ©2016 Hachette Audio (P)2016 Adam Haslett, "Spectacular.... You should buy this book, you should read it, and you should admire it.... [It] is the herald of a phenomenal career." I hated virtually every sentence, paragraph and page of "Imagine Me Gone". You may view or remove these audiobooks on the shopping cart page. Jacquie Red Feather is newly sober and trying to make it back to the family she left behind in shame. From a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award finalist, a story of a family facing the ultimate question: How far will we go for those we love the most? I liked the different points of view of the story. Ben Lerner. Miriam Toews, Narrated by: Ottessa Moshfegh. (Colum McCann) " Imagine Me Gone is literature of the highest order. The story was a bit long and drawn out for my liking. Diaz defies the conventions of historical fiction and genre, offering a probing look at the stereotypes that populate our past and a portrait of radical foreignness. Appears in playlists Robert Fass - Award-Winning Narrator by Robert Fass published on 2019-07-22T15:04:56Z. After trying twice with this book, I gave up a few chapters in. Imagine Me Gone is the unforgettable story of what unfolds from this act of love and faith. From a Pulitzer Prize and National … Jennifer Egan’s spellbinding interlocking narratives circle the lives of Bennie Salazar, an aging former punk rocker and record executive, and Sasha, the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. All rights reserved   |   Privacy Policy   |   Terms of Use, {"id":"1297056","ean":"9781478987642","abr":"Unabridged","title":"Imagine Me Gone","subtitle":"","author":"Adam Haslett","rating_average":"3.76","narrator":"Ellen Archer","ubr_id":"1297056","abr_id":"0","ubr_price":"25.98","abr_price":"0.00","ubr_memprice":"16.89","abr_memprice":"0.00","ubr_narrator":"Ellen Archer","abr_narrator":"","ubr_length":"Unabridged: 11 hr","abr_length":"Abridged: "}. Adam Haslett is the author of the short story collection You Are Not a Stranger Here, which was a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award finalist, and the novel Union Atlantic, winner of the Lambda Literary Award and shortlisted for the Commonwealth Prize. I especially liked that the story is told through the alternating points of view of the different family members; an interesting and effective approach, particularly in this case, as it enables the reader to see how the circumstances affect each family member, in turn. They were both very good. The readers can download Imagine Me Gone Audiobook for free via Audible Free Trial.. Summary A sense of melancholy and foreboding pervades this book, which is primarily what held my interest—the knowledge that something bad will happen, but having yet to discover what, when, how, and why. Told in alternating points of view by all five members of the family, this searing, hilarious, often gut-wrenching novel brings alive with remarkable depth and poignancy the love of a mother for her children, the often inescapable responsibility siblings feel for one another, and the legacy of a parent's pain in the lives of his children.