I mulled over some possibilities. At least, that’s what a short memory might tell you. Liverpool last lost a league match at Anfield in April 2017. How often have there been 7-2 scorelines in recorded football history? We could use these. First, is that right? I have them to double those wins in their last 27 matches this time around. Also in 2005-06 Udinese and Swiss minnows FC Thun joined the ranks of the non-champions reaching the group stages. the sketch on the website remains a joy to behold. I’ve published numerous journal articles, book chapters and other online pieces on how we can learn more about economics from sport, and how economics can be used to help decision making in sport. A 1-6 is pretty unlikely too, with just 612. All Rights Reserved, This is a BETA experience. © 2020 Independent Online and affiliated companies. Another metric would be not to do any forecasting, but instead rely solely on historical patterns.

In 2005-06 Villarreal went a couple of rounds better. Asides from the final and semi-finals, … Like Parma, early departures followed for Molde in 1999-2000 (the Norwegian club were not Tippeligaen winners until 2011), Heerenveen in 2000-01, and Lokomotiv Moscow and Mallorca in 2001-02 (Lokomotiv were Russian champions for the first time at the end of that season). Since 1992, goals in the Premier League have solidly averaged about 2.6 or 2.7 per match, and this season so far, the average is 3.8.

In doing so you are likely to meet virtually every other team. All rights reserved, Please visit the official Government information portal for Coronavirus by clicking HERE. As the world and his wife, all the world's wife's friends, their families, their familie… Sunday’s average unusualness was 0.0465, and had 6 matches. Manuel Pellegrini's Yellow Submarines reached the semi-finals where the Gunners were once more the team to dump them out. Brendon Rodgers’s Leicester City may feel differently, but their implosion in the latter part of last season suggests they are more a top eight than a top four team. Alan Smith, Hierro, Ferdinand, Johnathon Greening. Manchester City finished second, almost a season behind, but every prediction for the 2020/21 season points to Liverpool as the bridesmaids. I've played with Christian benteke Jonjo shelvey James Milner Ryan Giggs Wayne Rooney Marcus rashford. Despite not winning the Premier League, Carragher won virtually everything else — the Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup, as …

In the Table below, average goals per game so far in the current season (2020-2021) are presented alongside average goals per game last season (2019-2020). They will be better defensively and will score more goals. In 2003-04 Celta Vigo progressed from their group, with the Spanish side reaching the last 16 and a 5-2 aggregate defeat to Arsenal. The answer is actually not that unlikely.

Klopp hasn’t spent on new recruits during the pre-season. Liverpool won’t either and this will be a season that belongs to the darlings of Manchester, both sky blue and devilish red. Send your questions and answers to knowledge@theguardian.com, Available for everyone, funded by readers. Once the self-anointed Special One, Mourinho is now very much the selfish one. No Arsenal player last season made the list of the top 30 creators. The biggest winning margin will be six goals and it will come from Pep’s City, and they will do it on more than one occasion.

He also said the owners were different – and he didn’t mean it as a compliment to Chelsea or City. At least, that’s what a short memory might tell you.

Jose Mourinho’s Spurs won’t dazzle with attacking brilliance and the most entertaining aspect of Spurs season will be the individualism of striker Harry Kane and the eccentric sideline outburst of Jose Mourinho. I've won the champions league but never the premier league. That will change this season, with Mesut Ozil bound to get more regular starts. Bill Dodgin Jr, Dave Bassett, Alec Stock, George Graham, Terry Venables, Ray Lewington and Dave Sexton have all managed a trio of London clubs. co.uk when it comes to teams and individuals, so I am going to lean on these details and have an unconventional crack at a few predictions for the new season. One way to do this is to look at what was expected beforehand. Again, not necessarily. (Photo by Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images), between Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford on October 04, 2020 in Manchester, England. This is a great question, and I wracked my brains for a good 20 minutes before I came up with the answer (and Wikipedia confirmed it for me). It’s not obvious it’s a closed-door thing, either, since research I’m involved in suggests no real effect on goals scored. the players that won the champions league againts milan with Liverpool, I suppose Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher and the ones that still play in Liverpool well Alonso not anymore, sell out. history! asks Russell Antcliff.

Manchester City top, Liverpool second, Manchester United third and Chelsea fourth, with Arsenal and Spurs to complete the top six.

As the world and his wife, all the world's wife's friends, their families, their families' servants, their families' servants' tennis partners, and some chap we bumped into the mess the other day called Bernard emailed to point out, you don't have to look far to find a team who beat Huelva to the polka-dot idea by more than 100 years. Are they the first polka-dotted professional football team?"

© 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. Northampton and Port Vale followed in September, while Oxford will join the club just before Christmas.

PINC Liverpool won the 2019/20 league with seven rounds still to play.

"Has a manager ever been fired without his team scoring a goal?". For the romantics, there would be nothing more appealing than to see Leeds knock over Liverpool. "According to historicalkits.co.uk, the Trotters (who turned pro in 1887) wore white jerseys with red polka dots in 1884. Below we plot the number of days in a year with an unusualness measure less than 0.0465, and with at least 6 matches, per year: Number of days each year with more unusual sets of results than October 4 2020. September, October and November are the months with more goals. So these most recent 38 matches are unusual since the end of the 1960s - a 50-year period. I am an economist and I write about sport. Yes, it was extraordinary. If we rank each scoreline by its relative frequency (0.001 for 1-6, 0.0007 for 7-2), then we can take an average for each day of football of how unlikely that set of scorelines was. In the past six years only Braga in 2010-11 and Malaga this season have added their name to the list of Champions League imposters. I've been managed by Roy Hodgson Jose mourinho Rafa Benitez Stuart pearce Mark Hughes Brendan rodgers. Could it be a Covid-19 thing? In fact, by this metric, the most unusual Premier League weekend in the last three years was actually the weekend before last.
The weekend just gone was like none before in Premier League

Arsenal aside, I’ve never experienced supporters so deluded about their team’s potential as Newcastle’s. I’m backing them to score first for most of the campaign and even when they concede an early goal, they won’t again lose nine in 13 times. Arsenal (60% chance) beat Sheffield United, Southampton (56% chance) beat West Brom, Wolves (58% chance) beat Fulham, Chelsea (68% chance) beat Palace, Everton (57% chance) beat Brighton and Newcastle (50% chance) beat Burnley, after all. I still play now I still play in England I still play in premier. Just how extraordinary was it, though? The volume of goals though is remarkable, right? Exactly 10% of the season. CAPE TOWN - Never before has a team that has so dominated the Premier League been so readily and comfortably dismissed as not being good enough to defend a title won by 18 league points. I am backing them to not be as charitable from the 80 minute onwards. The Champions League was opened up to teams who had not just won their domestic league title in 1997-98 and, perhaps a little surprisingly, in the 16 subsequent seasons only 12 teams who have (or had at the time) never won their domestic championship have taken part in the group stage proper.
On average, controlling for years and leagues, using all match results reported on Soccerbase, there are statistically significantly more goals per game in September, October and November - almost 0.1 of a goal. "The design transpired after Danish kit maker Hummel were only given 10 days to put together new home/away kits after a late deal was agreed. As for the biggest result of the season, the 9-0 hammering of Leicester City over Southampton just won’t happen again. In the last 13 matches when they conceded an early goal they lost nine times. The current EPL champions Liverpool were humbled 7-2 by Aston Villa, who escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth on the final day of the last season, while Manchester United capitulated to a 6-1 home defeat by Tottenham Hotspur, who are coached by United’s former coach, Jose Mourinho.

Are they the first polka-dotted professional football team?". The seasonal pattern tends to be that teams are more open at the start of the season, before things begin to tighten up in the middle of the season in February, March and April, perhaps as teams learn how to play against each other, before at the end of the season in May things open up again, perhaps once some teams no longer have anything to play for. In 1997-98 Bayer Leverkusen became the first non-champions to progress from the group stages. This will change, but he won’t change. Will this carry on though given the trends for Septembers and Octobers?

Sven-Goran Eriksson (both Lazio and Roma) and Jean-Guy Wallemme (Racing Club de France and Paris FC) are among those to have crossed the inter-city divide, but it is only from Moscow – perhaps the only city in Europe to compete with London in terms of sheer number of teams – that the likes of Harford and Mullery have competition.