A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze, ", "Do You Have 'The Little Blue Book' in Your House? As a hospice nurse we supply this book to our families who have loved ones who are terminally ill. This is less of a book and more of an informational pamphlet. If I had spent $7+ for a hard copy (instead of getting the e-book with Kindle credits), I would have felt misled and taken advantage of. Van Dyke likens one that is dying to a ship sailing away into the distance. The day after Easter, she had a stroke. She was evaluated for a week in the hospital and doctors discovered that she has metastatic colon cancer that has moved to her lungs. We’d love your help. "[4], I am standing upon the seashore. It's good to know. Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone.". Gone from my sight--that is all. It was given to me in the palliative care unit and teaches patients and their families what to expect in the day toward the end of the patient's life. The simple language offers comfort to those that are dying and those that are losing someone. provided at no charge for educational purposes. My husband and I have recommended it several times after it was given to us during my mother in law's battle with breast cancer. On the horizon, the ship seems to disappear, but really it is not gone. “There she comes!”, Northwestern Christian Advocate, July 13, 1904; Religious Telescope, Vol. My knowledge was based on dramatic ends from tv or movies, but most people, including my mother, go through phases. and starts for the blue ocean. Very short but informative on what to expect when someone is dying. Gone From My Sight contained nothing but the facts from a Registered Nurse who had probably witnessed many deaths. Let her work it through. It has helped me understand the death process more and. Gone From My sight was an important and informative read that educated readers concerning the dying experience. So calming. Explains several aspects of the dying process. I read many times over the five days she was there. I use it daily and it is truly an asset in the hospice setting. And just at that moment when someone at my side says, “There! The day after Easter, she had a stroke. "Gone From My Sight," also known as the "Parable of Immortality" and "What Is Dying" is a poem (or prose poem) presumably written by the Rev. Here is what i will say about this pamphlet, READ it if you have a loved one dying. [3] Hospice agencies often distribute it to families of patients nearing the end of life. I appreciate having this book to comfort me when I have questions about what is happening to my loved one. And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port. She is passing to the later stages of the death process and will not be with us much longer. What a beautiful image. Start by marking “Gone From My Sight: The Dying Experience (The Dying Experience)” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Excellent informative booklet makes good sense for family watching loved one decline by natural causes. when someone at my side says: “There! Henry Jackson van Dyke was an American author, educator, and clergyman. She is uncomplaining and not a problem. It gave me a sense of peace and preparation so that when Daddy crossed over, I saw it as a gift to witness; not something to fear. I have appreciated this book. Gone From My Sight by Henry Van Dyke - Famous poems, famous poets. It took less than 10 minutes to read. There's a reason it's traditionally recommended in hospices but it also felt odd to spend a few bucks on a document that I read in a few minutes. a much needed guide for the uninitiated caregiver about what to watch for and expect from a loved one's dying process. Her diminished size is in me, and not in her. I was given this book when my grandma went into hospice. This is less of a book and more of an informational pamphlet. The Amazon Book Review Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Simple to read and quite informative. Even if you're not in the situation, this book is extremely insightful to understanding death and the process of dying. I suggest everyone read it! It took less than 10 minutes to read. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side, and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of her destination. This little book is worth its weight in gold. I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck But it gave the facts in a very respectful manner so that you could prepare yourself for what is soon to come. This "little blue book"[2] has been in print continuously since 1985 and has sold over twelve million copies. The focus of this booklet is to let persons know what kinds of changes happen to the body and thought processes of a person nearing death. I would have given it 5 stars if it was longer. I have appreciated this book. It is also often read at funerals and memorial services.Transylvanian Dutch: Genealogy and Family History, "Poetry Friday: What is Dying – Luther F Beecher. I read one similar if it was not this one when my dad died. Janet Young (3/3/2019 11:49:00 PM) Lost a friend today ,,, 50 years of some great memories R.I.P. This was extremely helpful, as we sat with my dad who passed away in hospice a few weeks ago. I always hear the same things from my families " I wish I had known about this book sooner then I would of realized more of what was taking place with so and so." I cannot tell you how invaluable this little book is. Recommended. Recommended. It has helped me understand the death process more and has helped our family to face this experience w/o fear. That being said, it's a 5-star pamphlet. The most amazing part of this short book was the ending poem by Henry Van Dyke. An extremely helpful and insightful book for anyone caring for a loved one with a terminal illness.