[82], On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 73% based on 284 reviews and an average rating of 6.7/10. So Jimmy decided to kill him. Up until then, I always believed he thought there was a chance he had beat the case. [47] Thomas Donahue, who was eight years old when his father was murdered, has become a spokesman for the families of those allegedly murdered by the Winter Hill Gang. Jack Nicholson's crime boss Frank Costello was based on Bulger in Martin Scorsese's 2006 drama "The Departed," which won four Oscars, including best picture. An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection. "[85], Similarly, Indie Wire's Eric Kohn praised the cast and highlighted Depp's performance and Cooper's directorial efforts to depict "the haunting legacy of Bulger's criminal deeds, and the lingering sense that no justice can erase their impact. After a number of bookmakers agreed to testify to having paid protection money to Bulger, a federal case was built against him under the RICO Act. Before the use of the Valhalla, he oversaw a shipment of guns and C-4 in a van at least once. Bulger's third petition for parole, in 1965, was granted after he had served nine years in prison. No more warnings. He is 12 years of my life. [38]:5 Three years later, Bulger partnered with Flemmi, an Italian-American mobster who had been an FBI informant since 1965. Of Arab descent, he had a mustache like Saddam Hussein. The roles of Connolly – who was Whitey Bulger's FBI handler – and his first wife Marianne, were filled by Joel Edgerton and Julianne Nicholson, respectively. How was Whitey Bulger able to get away with his deception for so long? After settling in Everett, Massachusetts, James Sr. married Jane Veronica "Jean" McCarthy, a first-generation Irish immigrant. This earned Shea a legendary reputation in South Boston. [117] According to Cyr, "He used to say that there were four people he would turn up on a street corner for: Douglas, me, Billy, or his mother. One of these items ships sooner than the other. Director Scott Cooper made it "a story about people," Depp added. But I don't think they'll ever catch him. Bulger was able to start counseling with a prison psychologist at the Tucson facility. It was more preparation than anything, getting ready for another life. [46][47] On June 4, Depp was spotted in Lynn during a recreation of the 1982 murders of Brian Halloran and Michael Donahue by Bulger.