All information including race fields and TAB numbers should be checked with an official source. Staunchest person I’ve ever met. Every day, he counts his blessings that he – … PAYNE HAAS Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images. "This is a credit to my parents," Haas says on his first day in NSW camp. Then 50,000 XXXX-fuelled Queenslanders and rugby league’s most spine-tingling stage. Chace and his parents were involved in … A post shared by Payne Haas (@lege_era0) on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:08am PDT. "Words can't describe how I feel about my little brother," an emotional Chace said before Payne's Origin debut last year. I'm blue to the bones. Microsoft Edge In an interview with NRL.com before his State of Origin debut for NSW last year, Payne delved into the depth of his love for his brother. Sign up here. Suspended at the time of Chace's death, Haas was then granted compassionate leave and missed the team's NRL round-19 loss to Parramatta before returning for the final match of the campaign against North Queensland. "This ain't just me. PAYNE HAAS Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images. The truth is Haas should be dead. "Confused atm but I know you won’t want me down, just going to soldier on till my heart stops like you did! "But my mum and dad are pretty strong people. Not to worry. "Wayne Bennett was around then, he did come in for a few training sessions then. He's 100 per cent my hero. For now though, he is focused on using his time to support and be supported by his family as they deal with Chace's death. Right there with him is three-code champion Sonny Bill Williams. Grieving NSW prop Payne Haas will use his brief time outside a COVID bubble to spend much-needed time with his family. "They just tell me 'don't worry about the stuff that's going on with us. I think that's why dad was so harsh on me at a young age, he treated us different from other kids. I'd sit in that chair for the rest of my life to see him walk. Grieving NSW prop Payne Haas will use his brief time outside a COVID bubble to spend much-needed time with his family. As soon as I got chosen for NSW I knew that's where my heart was. PAYNE Haas can’t remember the moment his family car was destroyed in a high-speed car crash, but his first name is an enduring reference to the pain of a tragedy that has been his making. I've got life pretty easy. Michael Chammas is a sports reporter with The Sydney Morning Herald, NRL star Payne Haas' heartache after death of his big brother and hero. Words can’t describe how I feel about my little brother. "If I could go back and put myself in the situation he was in, I'd take that burden for him. "I'm learning off one of the best ever to do it. Google Chrome I will always protect him, no matter what.". to continue using this website. Had he and his family moved to the Sunshine State a year or too earlier, the maroon he first wore aged 14 could well have been permanent. The Brisbane powerhouse's brother Chace died in August after a short illness, leaving the 20-year-old devastated. With Williams one of few to enjoy as immediate impact at such a young age, and experience similar trials and tribulations that come with it, Haas treasures their friendship. The past few months alone, Haas and his family have been through plenty, and there's plenty more to come. "This is my reward to my whole family. From Queensland’s junior system, jerseys presented by Jonathan Thurston and training under Wayne Bennett’s watch, to the least experienced NSW debutant in Origin history. "It was tough as everyone knows, I had some personal stuff going on and especially my brother. He's giving me life advice, I ask more things about life. Every time I see him on TV he makes me really happy. Haas hears the reports, the comments, and knows what’s at stake for those that matter most while he is in Blues camp. I would love to see him live the life I am. "I didn't grow up with much. NRL Help (RAS-WWW02), Haas To Take Family Time Out Before Origin, Panthers carry record win streak to NRL GF, Broncos topple Roosters in NRLW GF preview, Welch labels Smith critics "embarrassing", Cleary confident in Penrith NRL hot streak, Storm's Smith plays down Suncorp farewell. The Broncos will honour his life when they host the Dragons at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night by wearing black arm bands and showing their respect with a minute's silence. Haas is a New South Welshman. Payne was granted an NRL exemption to leave the bubble on Wednesday to visit his brother before he died. "I haven't got to spend that much time with my family, obviously what's been happening with them, and I just want to spend some time with them and my girlfriend and just hopefully enjoy it while I can," Haas said. Sports news, results and expert commentary delivered straight to your inbox each weekday. His new faith means a 4:30am rise for "oats or protein" and "a lot of water so I’m well hydrated", with the Islamic holiday ending a day before his Origin debut. He's always providing good guidance for me. ", Ranking the Blues forwards candidates for Origin 2020, Gutherson, Keary, Paulo among nine added to Blues squad, Ranking the Blues backs candidates for 2020 Origin, Shining lights in dark times: Haas and Carrigan named Broncos top players, Petero perfect for Pangai: Walters' plan to rein in wayward Bronco, You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content. Warts and all though, it’s all there. I love you forever my best friend, my role model, but most importantly my big brother," Payne said on Instagram. "I wish it was me," Payne told NRL.com last year. Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas revealed his 22-year-old brother, Chace, died this week after a decades-long fight for survival. Chace was extremely proud of his little brother's accomplishments in rugby league, getting satisfaction out of life through his brother's achievements. Dad used to show us photos of how Chace was on life support. I went to Islam, I found it and it's taught me a lot. But not before first tasting representative footy as a Queenslander. Haas credits his recent conversion to Islam for that focus. But he's always messaging me, asking how I am. And all the way, a family of 12 that drives everything this 194cm, 119kg teenager does. My parents didn't grow up with much, I just want to repay them and show them how much their work has paid off. "Telling me ‘Just be yourself. "It just made sense to have good people around me. Say hello to grandma for me as well.". This week Joan will face sentencing after being charged with assault occasioning bodily harm from a road rage incident on the Gold Coast last year. The Brisbane powerhouse's brother Chace died in August after a short illness, leaving the 20-year-old devastated. Thanks for being there for me when no one else was, I’m going to carry your name with me everywhere I go. ", "When he runs on the field, he takes all of us with him. He now abstains from alcohol, and while he continues observing Ramadan, food and even water from sunrise to sunset. I felt like I needed a change. "We've gone through it together from a young age and I can't put into words how much this means for Chase and for me. Fifteen minutes with softly spoken, man child mountain Payne Haas, and you still only scratch the surface. Homespun hill sprints and backyard time trials. Just be you'.". Don't change for nobody. You'll be redirected to related page soon... Are you a New User ?. More than to him. Mum Joan, who "came from nothing", but has given everything to have him realise his rugby league dream. But such was his brother's love for rugby league and seeing Payne run out onto the field, the prop dedicated one last game to the man he once described as his hero, visibly emotional as he went. Payne, who wasn't at training on Thursday and won't play the next two weeks through suspension, was rocked by the death and took to social media with a heartfelt tribute to his big brother. Mozilla Firefox "When he said he was going to play for the Blues … It means everything to me. Unbreakable bond: Payne Haas with his older brother Chace Haas throughout their teens. Just keep on working hard, put your head down and just focus on your goals. "Going to miss our banter and seeing your big smile whenever I come home to see you but I know you’re going to be watching over all of us every step of the way. R&S takes all care in the preparation of information appearing on the site, but accepts no responsibility nor warrants the accuracy of the information displayed. One of the players already confirmed by coach Brad Fittler in NSW's 27-man Origin squad, Haas is expected to go back under restrictions from October 19. Sign-up here. The Brisbane Broncos gave Payne Haas the option of withdrawing from last week's game against Canberra to be by his brother's side, as the health of the ventilated quadriplegic deteriorated dramatically inside a Gold Coast hospital. We've been through a lot from (when we were) kids. Doggedly so. "It's hard when people talk about my mum and dad, that gets a bit tough," he says. "Instead of getting lollies or ice cream, we would be running around, but it's all happening now. Copyright in all R&S materials is owned by Racing and Sports Pty Ltd (R&S). An emotional Payne Haas after last week's loss to the Raiders as his brother's health deteriorated inside a Gold Coast hospital.Credit:NRL Photos. Happy birthday my brother Hans love you heaps habibi!