Her voice is amazing and she personifies feminine beauty. With no one there to hold him I hear his voice on tumbling waves This message is updated dynamically through the template {{sourcecheck}} (last update: 15 July 2018). I have been working my way through as much Loreena Mckennitt as I could. I love to read your comments :), There are many great versions of My Lagan Love …both as written and with new words ....  the gypsy singer Margaret Barry was recorded by Ewan McColl in 1956 singing it - listen. After quoting some background information about My Lagan Love in the thread about the meaning of folk, I checked the lyrics in the DT. the entire first paragraph.Daniel Sparkman (talk) 16:54, 15 July 2010 (UTC)84.182.29.246 (talk) 16:37, 15 July 2010 (UTC). Please consider making a small donation to help keep this website online. 'My Lagan Love' (Joseph Campbell) Performed by Lisa Hannigan and The Chieftains Stair na hÉireann/History of Ireland. verse 1 - "like a love-sick lennan-shee" verse 2 - "I steal unto her shieling lorn / And thru the dorring peep" verse 3 - "And when I stir my soot to go" (is this a typo? My sisters and are cracking up! Posted on May 12, 2016. They do have lovely lyrics. Yes! The English lyrics have been credited to Joseph Campbell (1879–1944, AKA Seosamh MacCathmhaoil and Joseph McCahill, among others). And then several folk artists sang it as "The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" which in essence is also the same song, different words.. His heart was mine Together, they collected traditional airs from the remote parts of County Donegal. And the glimpse of a face at morning. "I shall be supplied with whatever I need; and, if I have not everything I desire, I may conclude it is either not fit for me, or I shall have it in due time. "Lagan" does indeed seem to mean cargo that has been thrown overboard by a ship in trouble, and attached to a buoy for future recovery - Legal Dictionary. The name of the river came from the Irish language. And, when I stir my foot to go, 'Tis leaving Love and light To feel the wind of longing blow From out the dark of night. Previous words sung to the tune were 'The Belfast Maid'. I saw him far below me I can't understand its meaning. He came from Belfast and his grandparents came from the Irish speaking region of Flurrybridge in South Armagh (source Wikepedia). [This pretension in spelling etc is typical of the Gaelic Revival flavour of this book - it is also embellished with "Celtic knots" and fanciful derivations of half uncial script.]. =) No wonder he was there, though, being that he sang in Riverdance with Lynn. In 1904 he began a collaboration with composer Herbert Hughes. 'My Lagan Love' is a song to a traditional Irish air collected in 1903 in northern Donegal. Interesting to see 'Lagan' as … "leman" is an old word for "lover" from what I have been told, well that would make it "fairy lover"(shee being fairy..... like banshee (bean- woman, shee - fairy)). Campbell's words mention Lambeg, which is just outside the city. Check out our Tumblr for old-fashioned art and period screencaps. The melody is claimed to be that of "Belfast Maid", the lyrics to which had been lost at the time of collection. The "thrown away" interpretation is beautiful but far-fetched. In 1904 he began a collaboration with composer Herbert Hughes. ~Elizabeth. Historical Info: "My Lagan Love" is a traditional Irish song from the 15th to 16th century found in Donegal. "Lagan" does indeed seem to mean cargo that has been thrown overboard by a ship in trouble, and attached to a buoy for future recovery - Legal Dictionary. There was a fashion for Irish-ising, Scottish-ising and Gaelic-ising everything in the latter 19th and early 20th century among the intelligentsia, to the point of giving pseudo-Gaelic spellings to their names and writing trad. She sought the love of men; if they refused, she became their slave, but if they consented, they became her slaves and could only escape by finding another to take their place. The English lyrics have been credited to Joseph Campbell (1879–1944, AKA Seosamh MacCathmhaoil and Joseph McCahill, among others). At evening's fall he watched me walk I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. It was sung to a ballad called the "Belfast Maid," now forgotten in Cill-mac-nEnain." Please take a moment to review my edit. The English lyrics have been credited to Joseph Campbell (1879–1944, also known as Seosamh MacCathmhaoil and Joseph McCahill, among others). :) I didn't know they sang in Riverdance together. —Tamfang (talk) 02:08, 18 February 2017 (UTC). I don't have an idea what "elears" means, unless it's a misprint for clears but Lambeg is a village between Lisburn and Belfast and the Drum is the site of a bridge across the river and the canal which was made beside it which eventually diverged from the river and entered Lough Neagh. The account given differs markedly from other accounts found within this article itself, where it is claimed that Joseph Campbell collected the song in Donegal in about 1903, and traced the lyrics back to about 1850. While on holidays in Donegal, Hughes had learned the air from Proinseas mac Suibhne, who had learned it from his father Seaghan mac Suibhne, who in turn had learned it fifty years previously from a man working with the Ordnance Survey of Ireland. 'My Lagan Love' is a song to a traditional Irish air collected in 1903 in northern Donegal. When she was only fairy-high Her gentle mother died; But dew-Love keeps her memory Green on the Lagan side. The author's name, Seosamh MacCathmhaoil, is a Gaelicisation of Joseph Campbell. It was the custom of newly-married couples about to set up home to bring crickets from the hearths of their parents' house and place them in the new hearth. Notes: "Lagan" - the Lagan is a river in Northern Ireland which flows through Belfast "lennan-shee" / "lenanshee" / "leanan si" - "fairy mistress", literally "fairy child" One version has "leman shee": "leman" - an old word for "lover"; shee - fairy = "fairy lover" (like banshee: bean - woman, shee - fairy) "shieling" - a shepherd's summer hut, like a barn or a cottage "soot" - (pron. All that doesn't take away from a beautiful tune. And is Lagan the name of a place? There are four stanzas but sung as five with the repetition of the first one. I have been getting into Celtic music, I have not quite gotten to Celtic Woman yet. She sang well. And Autumn leaves are falling :D. I've heard Charlotte Church's version of "My Lagan Love". Anna,You're right, it's totally him!!!! Nice blog. However, some argue that the Lagan in the song refers to a stream that empties into Lough Swilly in County Donegal, not far from Letterkenny, where Herbert Hughes collected the song in 1903. Campbell was a Belfast man whose grandparents came from the Irish-speaking area of Flurrybridge, South Armagh. I made the following changes: When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs. My loves have come, my loves have gone Her welcome, like her love for me, Is from her heart within: Her warm kiss is felicity That knows no taint of sin. I recall "The Shortcut to the Rosses" being sung once in a way that made the hair on my neck stand up - but I also recall hearing it sung hundreds of times in a way that made me cringe! There are notes on Leanan-sidhe "fairy mistress and on the crickets of the "crickets' singing stone" [note the apostrophe in "crickets'"] and these will help clear other mysteries made acute by distance. Where Lagan stream sings lullaby There blows a lily fair The twilight gleam is in her eye The night is on her hair And like a love-sick lennan-shee She has my heart in thrall Nor life I owe nor liberty With love is lord of all.