It was also a bit bland. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box. Made them a day ahead and put them in the oven to warm before serving. Made them a day ahead and put them in the oven to warm before serving. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Also be sure not to overcook them or they will be drier. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!! There is a print option just to the right of the headline of the actual recipe, perhaps your browser isn’t displaying it. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. You can serve these with pasta like I did to make a … I will be making this sauce for lots of things besides these meatballs. I was looking for something different to make with hamburger. You saved The Best Sweet and Sour Meatballs to your. Near the end of the cook time, boil the pasta. 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes and 1 ea. Just be sure to use a grind of meat that has a bit of fat in it or the Italian meatballs will be really dry no matter what you do. Once formed, drop the meatballs into the sauce and let them cook for about an hour. I will never use bottled sauce again, that's for sure. Your email address will not be published. In a large skillet over medium heat, gently brown the meatballs and set aside. The sauce is great, too. I made the recipe with 3# turkey meat (increasing all the other ingredients X3 of course) and made about 55 meatballs. Omg these meatballs look so flavorful & so perfect for a cozy weeknight meal! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Add the sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook to deepen the color for more flavor. Serve over homemade or frozen meatballs. Add the beaten egg, bread crumbs, oregano, mint, salt and pepper. This recipe called for no salt or other seasonings for the meatballs! Let the Italian meatballs in sauce cool completely, then seal them in freezer-safe bags or containers. This sweet and sour recipe was excellent! I made them as appetizers for a shower, kept them small and put toothpicks in them for easy pick up from a baking pan. When I make it, I’ll keep it just the same as the original recipe :). PEOPLE SAID: In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. They are great! I coated them in flour and sauteed them in olive oil first to seal in juices. This was terrific. Amount is based on available nutrient data. A very easy family meal. Homemade meatballs are the best! I seasoned my meatballs more to my taste though. Use cornstarch instead of flour--did that Gently stir to coat the pasta then add the meatballs back to the pan. Had my husband turn the cooker on low at his lunch, so the sauce cooked about 6 1/2 hours. Sauce is my favorite specially tomato sauce is more favorite . Like others have suggested, i reduced the sugar to 1 tablespoon, and it was perfect. Also, if you want a lighter meatball, substitute oatmeal for the breadcrumbs - measure it first, then run it briefly in the blender so you won't have any big bits in the meatballs. I made them as appetizers for a shower, kept them small and put toothpicks in them for easy pick up from a baking pan. The only thing that I think I'll do different (even though people disagreed) is to add some General Tsao's right into the meat as well as to the sauce.