Sign-up deadline Oct 28 for Mefi's annual secret Gift Swap! The school attended by sixteen-year-old Foster Lee (Annalise Basso), a fresh arrival from one of the non-compliant, low-tech ‘Bubbles’ formed after ‘The Reformation’, is plausibly detailed. The episode’s initial ideas are apposite and well-handled too: at what point does tech-driven ‘safety’ for our kids cross over into oppression? I know that PKDs stories have been done and redone countless times, but I really don't think adapting. So far, so recognisable. I thought it was an excellent thematic counterpoint to the Cranston episode. Louisa Mellor | Create a sense of insecurity.” So says the sceptical father of young Mike Foster in Philip K. Dick’s story by which this Electric Dreams episode is inspired. So says the sceptical father of young Mike Foster in Philip K. Dick’s story by which this Electric Dreams episode is inspired. much more mundane yet much more disturbing, taking all the replacees' bodies to the dump, from the point of view of a frantically barking dog, seeing his dad's soul being horrifically consumed by his duplicate, Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams S 1 E 6 Human Is, Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams S 1 E 8 Autofac. All posts copyright their original authors. When reading the story, you are not exactly sure how to interpret what happened, if the boy really saw what he thought he saw, which gives a little more mystery and suspense to the story. Any MetaFilter member can post a thread about a piece of media for other members to discuss. January 19, 2018 8:33 AM - Season 1, Episode 10 -. You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments. A page for describing Recap: Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams S 1 E 10 The Father Thing. (Themes also explored by recent Black Mirror episode Arkangel) It’s only after that point, when Foster is groomed as a weapon of the state that the story’s wheels, if not fall off then at least get a little wobbly. Phillip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams Recap: Daddy Issues by Film Crit Hulk for Vulture On the surface, “Father Thing” seems headed for a somewhat Disney-esque father-son story, but then takes a quick turn toward the pulp and pomp of an Amblin-lite adventure wherein a young boy named Charlie (Jack Gore) thinks his dad (Greg Kinnear!) If this represents the floor for Electric Dreams, then I'd be happy to keep watching for years. The complexity and detail put into features like the Dex (wearable tracking tech with multiple applications) grounds viewers in territory that’s perfect sci-fi: familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. The world is under attack from aliens. Is safety worth voluntarily giving up freedoms for? Get the best of Den of Geek delivered right to your inbox! Lead Annalise Basso does a great job carrying most of the story and all of its emotion on her shoulders. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available from thestaff@tvtropes.org. It makes for a pacey and well-directed hour of entertainment, but ultimately a shallow one. Overall, Safe And Sound was a well-acted, well-directed sci-fi thriller with sadly never-more-apt themes, but perhaps lacking in the complexity their treatment deserved. Don’t come here for nuance, in other words. Okay, the weird thing about Amazon for this US viewer is that even though the episodes are numbered differently from the Channel 4 order, the auto play has been serving the episodes up to me in the Channel 4 order. Safe And Sound turns complex topics (radicalisation, the reach of state-sponsored surveillance tech and reality-monopolising media) into thriller fodder. One night, while camping out, they see glowing orbs slowly falling from the sky, which the radio news reports are meteoroids. The idea of Foster being tricked so easily into believing her mother was a terrorist who planned to sacrifice her child for her political goals is just too hard a sell. As mentioned above, the pacing really suffered from the adaptation. Why not just show little clues that his father changed and make the boy wonder, at least for a while? So I did start with “The Hood Maker” and end with “The Father-Thing,” even though Amazon’s order looks preferable. If the episode’s themes—school security, people and companies who profit from demonising the other and sowing seeds of paranoia—didn’t feel so depressingly relevant to our time, perhaps the superficiality of their treatment here wouldn’t feel this potentially harmful.