Another theme frequently touched upon was women being told that they took their experiences too seriously, as if sexual assault and harassment could ever be "not that bad.". The social media campaign quickly gained steam, and many celebrities sent Me Too tweets as well — a stark reminder that even the rich and famous can be victims of sexual abuse. A recent study by the Pew Research Center found that the #MeToo hashtag was used more than 19 million times on Twitter since Milano's initial tweet. All too pervasive… Me too. #MeToo #TogetherWeRise https://t.co/ju5K3USDt8, — Rosario Dawson (@rosariodawson) October 16, 2017. Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics McKayla Maroney shared her story of continued sexual abuse for years by the Olympic team doctor, declaring #MeToo. The former White House intern became a household name when rumors of an alleged sexual affair between her and Bill Clinton sparked an impeachment trial. Days earlier, speaking in the context of the Weinstein scandal, Arquette wrote about a "weird" experience she says she had with director Oliver Stone. As the words me too continue to flood Facebook and Twitter, both men and woman have felt empowered to share stories of sexual harassment and assault that they have endured. As trends often do, the hashtag soon took off across multiple social media platforms, with survivors sharing their stories. Even law enforcement, frequently, can feel like a barrier to reporting and prosecuting perpetrators. Explaining that she got the idea from a friend, the Charmed star encouraged her 3.2 million followers to write "me too" in response to her tweet if they had been sexually assaulted or harassed — and then immediately replied "me too" to her own tweet. The One Tree Hill star went public with her sexual assault experience in a 2015 Instagram post. That would be one of the largest-known settlements of a single-plaintiff sexual harassment lawsuit — and yet only half of the reported $40 million payout Ailes himself received when he was ousted from Fox over the allegations. I disappeared. If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet. Assault on public transportation was an unsettlingly common theme among women participating in the hashtag, including this one user who says she was mocked for yelling while being assaulted. Victim blaming often seeks to attribute assault to something the victim did or said, but author Quinn Cummings argued that only one party is to blame — the perpetrator. All rights reserved. STOP online harassment or lose us!#WomenWhoRoar #MeToo, — Amy Siskind (@Amy_Siskind) October 15, 2017. READ MORE: Women are boycotting twitter after Rose McGowan’s account was banned, — Gabrielle Union (@itsgabrielleu) October 15, 2017. Amy Siskind, a wall street executive and womens rights advocate, also said #MeToo. Actress Busy Philipps shared a flashback photo of herself on Instagram, writing: "This is me at 14. deserve a bullet’, Radio host says she was groped, kissed by Al Franken, Biden Takes on LGBTQ Issues, Trump Defends QAnon in Contrasting Town Halls, Young Jamaican leader selected as delegate for 2020 YOUNGA UN Forum, Carmen LoBue, Thank You For Coming Out (Again! https://twitter.com/DebraMessing/status/919668578357452800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bustle.com%2Fp%2F9-celebrities-whose-me-too-tweets-lay-bare-the-everyday-reality-of-sexual-assault-2920067. Rosario Dawson pointed out how pervasive sexual assault is. As of Monday morning, tens of thousands have replied to Milano’s call alone, with many more sharing their stories in individual posts. ), Brooklyn Public Library’s crowdsourced ’28th Amendment’ calls for more democracy. Suggested by a friend: “If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote “Me too” as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.”, A post shared by Viola Davis (@violadavis) on Oct 16, 2017 at 3:15pm PDT. The age I was raped." 2020 Bustle Digital Group. An alarming number of women said they were underage when they were assaulted and harassed by men in their lives. — Sheryl Crow (@SherylCrow) October 16, 2017, — Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) October 16, 2017. READ MORE: Donna Karan actually said Weinstein’s victims were asking for it, — Sophia Bush (@SophiaBush) October 15, 2017. Screenshot the ^^^ or click the code to add now to join the fun. But the #MeToo stories of sexual assault + sexual harassment women r sharing here r important. Across the board, survivors stood in solidarity with each other, reminding themselves that, if nothing else, they are not alone in their experiences. More than a half-million posts with the words “me too” have went up since actress Alyssa Milano called on women to share the phrase with this tweet Sunday afternoon: Celebrities who have joined the Me Too movement Alyssa Milano, of course, started the movement with this tweet on Sunday evening. Me too. — Sophia Bush (@SophiaBush) October 15, 2017. This is what we’re up against – people like this creep #MeToo https://t.co/LAvr7gyRah, — Gretchen Carlson (@GretchenCarlson) October 16, 2017, “Hamilton” star Javier Munoz said “Me too. She prompted followers to reply me too to her tweet. Actress Alyssa Milano gained a lot of attention on Sunday when she urged those among her followers who are survivors to tweet at her. To finally speak out and not be afraid. Although it can be uncomfortable to talk about sexual abuse, these conversations need to be had. Also: we *twirled* https://t.co/r5hCJt4dZm pic.twitter.com/3ID2JTXYPz, Alyssa Milano started the #metoo movement on Twitter on Sunday to draw attention to the prevalence of sexual assault. In the weeks since Harvey Weinstein’s history of alleged sexual assault came to light, many have gone public with their own experiences, whether it’s stars like Gwyneth Paltrow and Cara Delevingne sharing their stories of Weinstein’s abuse, or women from other industries speaking out about harassment in their own fields. They've told lies to papers to try to silence me.