At the beginning of the novel, the Oblonsky family appears to be at the breaking point. “I’ll get angry in the same way with the coachman Ivan, argue in the same way, speak my mind inappropriately, there will be the same wall between my soul’s holy of holies and other people, even my wife, I’ll accuse her in the same way of my own fear and then regret it, I’ll fail in the same way to understand with my reason why I pray, and yet I will pray – but my life now, my whole life, regardless of all that may happen to me, every minute of it, is not only meaningless, as it was before, but has the unquestionable meaning of the good which is in my power to put into it!”, Instant downloads of all 1360 LitChart PDFs “And the dog you’re taking with you won’t help you. This is a good translation." Like the Levins, the Oblonsky family also ends happily in that it remains intact, but this intactness comes at a steep price, and many tensions remain. GradeSaver, 25 April 2001 Web. In Europe, Vronsky and Anna struggle to find friends who will accept them. Meanwhile, Karenin reminds his wife of the impropriety of paying too much attention to Vronsky in public, which is becoming the subject of gossip. Pevear and Volokhonsky... created a reasonable, calm storyteller who communicated in conversational American English. "[15] He eliminates the Maudes for "disturbing errors" and "did not find either the Margashack or Carmichael ever superior to the others, and the lack of notes is a drawback." He discovers that Kitty is also being pursued by Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky, an army cavalry officer.

The novel details Levin's difficulties managing his estate, his eventual marriage, and his struggle to accept the Christian faith, until the birth of his first child. "[8], Levin is often considered a semi-autobiographical portrayal of Tolstoy's own beliefs, struggles, and life events. These contemporary developments are hotly debated by the characters in the novel.[10]. Anna Karenina challenges the conceptions both of individual freedom and of marital bliss, showing how complex family life can be by offering parallel portraits of several intertwined families. He wrestles with the idea of falseness, wondering how he should go about ridding himself of it, and criticising what he feels is falseness in others. I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license: (2,481 × 3,508 pixels, file size: 14 KB, MIME type: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Anna_Karenina_family_tree_EN.pdf&oldid=466112792, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, own work plus PD-Art 19th-century portraits, mostly of anonymous models, == {{int:filedesc}} == {{Information |Description=Anna Karenina family tree |Source=own work plus PD-Art 19th-century portraits, mostly of anonymous models |Date=2013 |Author=.