She won a total of seven Grammy Awards, including the Album of the Year for the soundtrack of “The Bodyguard” and Record of the Year for "I Will Always Love You.". #tabithabrown. Want to reach these micro influencers and others like them? In 1949, he was awarded the National League Most Valuable Player, making him the first black player to receive this honor. Wonder was named the United Nations Messenger of Peace in 2009 for his work as a political activist. Birmingham, MI 48009 Carney was the first African American to be awarded the Medal of Honor. 3. These actions led to new harsher laws and solidified pro-slavery. Shakira and Melissa share all aspects of a well-balanced life, bringing more than just hair care to the table including shopping and movie reviews. Nyma is known among African American influencers who frequently brings attention to the racial discrepancies in the cosmetic brand franchise involving shade ranges and availability to all skin colors and types. In 1946, he was sent to prison for robbery; there he became a member of the Nation of Islam. You’d be surprised at how much we all relate to Simone, who owns two french bulldogs, Lilo and Rambo, and runs their Instagram account as well. My @liveCandid tip to keep learning: Speak up. He helped organize the 1963 March on Washington that became famous for his “I Have a Dream” speech and the 1965 Selma to Montgomery march. One of the bestselling artists of all time has sold almost 200 million records globally. King Bach is another one of “Forbes'” top African American influencers for 2017, this time in the entertainment category. In 1901, he founded the National Negro Business League (NNBL), which aimed at promoting the development of the African-Americans financially and commercially. The BLM Movement’s Effects on Social Media3. و حاجة اخرى حنا لي دابا فعيونهم كبار، راه قبل واحد عشر سنين كنا صغار و هادو لي صغار واحد عشر سنين يوليو كبار، و الحياة كتستمر لي عاملتيه مزيان قبل ماعمرو غاينسا و العكس صحيح‍♀️ . Nina Simone's (1933-2003) voice is synonymous with the voice of the civil rights movement in the U.S. She openly addressed the issue of racial discrimination faced by African-Americans in such songs as "Mississippi Goddam," "Why (The King of Love Is Dead)" and "Young, Gifted and Black." He currently writes about cultural, social and political issues for The Atlantic. First African American of either gender to publish a novel on the North American continent. African-American brand loyalty, in particular, is contingent upon a brand's social responsibility, cultural sensitivity, and ingenuity. With growing followers, he started getting death threats and in February 1965, he was assassinated by members of the Nation of Islam. She is a popular journalist and lifestyle influencer who creates video and photographic content about a variety of topics including her family life, cooking and beauty tips. A 2018 study from Nielsen found that while African American people made up just 14 percent of the US population, they spend $1.2 trillion annually. Elijah McCoy. "When it comes to African-American consumer spend, there are millions, sometimes billions of dollars in revenue at stake," said Andrew McCaskill, Senior Vice President of Global Communications and Multicultural Marketing at Nielsen. Here is a cost-effective approach done by the WNBA. Looking for parenting advice? The cooking he reviews will make you feel better about your own skills, but might make you hungry! She’s a wonderful and hilarious addition to any feed. Honor what makes this culture unique, but don't forget that they contribute to the overall American culture. Do you want to read more similar stories? He came to fame on the show So You Think You Can Dance, and more recently worked on The Ellen Show as a DJ. But maybe if I can get some coaching and build up my confidence, I’ll be able to tackle that one. Brandi is here to provide helpful tips on everything from pregnancy, motherhood as well as DIY projects, recipes and even fashion and health. All rights reserved. Her Instagram feed is filled with moments with her daughter and husband, as well as promotions for her own fashion line. Since 1981, the year's best track and field athlete is awarded with the Jesse Owens Award, which is regarded as USA Track and Field's highest honor. His singles, including “Superstition” (1972), "Sir Duke" (1976), "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" (1973) and "I Just Called to Say I Love You" (1984), along with his albums have made him one of the top 60 best-selling music artists in the industry. The next personal goal I have is to get more comfortable with public speaking. They discuss the Fyre Festival being flagged during due diligence and Kai’s observation that most African-American entrepreneurs are under-negotiating. Laverne Cox, a regular on the popular TV series “Orange is the New Black,” uses her social media clout to raise awareness of trans issues. An example of this is McDonald's 365Black campaign. She dabbles in the world of stand-up and has a popular YouTube channel as well. An actor and director, he started with the micro-video platform Vine, and now has 15 million followers on Instagram. if you like our Facebook fanpage, you can read everyday such amazing stories. Phone: 919-653-2345, 15501 Weston Parkway, Suite 120 Inventor. Francheska is one of the trio behind the Friend Zone, a podcast that focuses on mental health, wealth, and hygiene. Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962. Serena and Simone are African American influencers who inspire not only the athlete community but beyond. There's a demand that brands and marketers speak to them in ways that resonate, culturally and experientially -- if these brands want their business." Check out the top 25 along with what they have to say that’s making everyone pay attention: Issa Rae is the African American influencer behind “Insecure,” a popular comedy on HBO. M.Gemi4. They discuss the Fyre Festival being flagged during due diligence and Kai’s observation that most African-American entrepreneurs are under-negotiating. After the rebellion, Turner hid for almost two months, but he was discovered in Virginia and was hung with 16 of his followers. You’ll be inspired to buy skates and learn tricks after enjoying, has gone beyond the music world and leapt into Instagram fame. Like other groups, they value family, they are fiercely loyal to their community, and they want the best for everybody. • LINK ON MY BIO, A post shared by Kaluhi (@kaluhiskitchen) on Jul 24, 2019 at 10:15am PDT. Her Instagram feed has a large collection of travel photos that illustrate her love for the beach and being near the ocean. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. African influencers are curating and crafting their own stories, photos, and videos for others to see. to Youtube and Instagram, where he is also gaining popularity. Popular among fans as the “King of Pop,” he belted out chart-topping hits with his brothers in the Jackson 5, then as a solo artist had such hits as “Thriller,” “Beat It,” “Black or White,” “Smooth Criminal” and “Billie Jean.” Known for his iconic dance moves such as the moonwalk and the robot, Jackson performed in sold-out concerts all over the world. However, due to continuous differences in opinion, Malcolm left the Nation in March 1964 and soon founded Muslim Mosque, Inc. A year later, he founded the Organization of Afro-American Unity, which advocated black Pan-Africanism. During her lifetime, she received many accolades, including the NAACP's 1979 Spingarn Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Here are 10 African social media influencers worth following. Along with his work toward equality for African-Americans, he was a strong supporter of women’s suffrage. In November 2006, Jackson was recognized as the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time by the Guinness World Records. His fitspo posts have helped him gain nearly four million followers. Physician and diplomat. Sarah Langa – @sarahlanga. Strive to be a wild flower, difficult to find and impossible to forget. While Black History Month is a great place to start, your multicultural marketing strategy should not end with this month and should consist of a year-round approach. He was not only a distinguished player but also a vocal civil rights activist. 2. At the end of the day, African-Americans are Americans. According to RT, the median African American’s net worth is $7000, compared to white households at $111,000.