Told through four very different perspectives, the book details not only the persons vicious and awful attack, but how innocent victims struggled to survive the attack. I'm the only one who knows she'll fly out of this cage and leave us all behind as soon as she can. - Bustle.com, 11/01/2015Gr 8 Up—It's the start of the spring semester at Opportunity High School in Opportunity, AL, and the school day is progressing as normal—until one revenge-minded student brings violence to this sleepy, close-knit community. Track season starts in a couple weeks, but no one has told Coach Lindt about winter. This character is the only Muslim student at Opportunity High School. THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS. At release, This Is Where it Ends received incredibly positive reviews.

The teachers and other personnel are in the auditorium too, and they don't run. She didn't want to leave the house. And it's the choices you make now that will determine your future. And it'll all be for nothing if I can't find the file I'm looking for. - Kirkus Reviews"Love, loyalty, bravery, and loss meld into a chaotic, heart-wrenching mélange of issues that unite some and divide others. This novel takes place over the course of 54 tense minutes, as four main characters (all of whom also conveniently have siblings affected by the shooting) narrate their harrowing experiences and consider their relationships with the shooter. I could ask Autumn about Tyler, but she's lost in memories. Dad — sometimes I'm afraid. (Fiction. "I look so young and innocent in this picture," Fareed muses, staring at his cover sheet.

And with Mom gone, there's no one to stop him. - Publishers Weekly"Nijkamp's emotional, powerful debut fictionalizes an all-too-frequent occurrence in today's world. An editor Far peeks around the principal's door.

We were supposed to go into town together last Saturday, but when Abuelo brought the car around, she barely recognized him. Sylv opens her mouth, but before she can say anything, a girl from her class appears at her elbow — Asha, I think. Not affiliated with Harvard College. - VOYA Magazine"Marieke Nijkamp's brutal, powerful fictional account of a school shooting is important in its timeliness." All our heartbreaks. Mamá had another one of her bad spells over break. They will only bind me to this place, and it hurts so much to care. This character is a twin. This character is the only Muslim student at Opportunity High School. Well, in theory. For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now. I'm not okay. Not even time. After almost four years at Opportunity High, I can recite her words from memory, which is exactly what I did for Matt at breakfast this morning — responsibility, opportunity ("no pun intended"), and her favorite, our school motto: We Shape the Future. for the children in their lives. this section. It just might consume them all.When the past chases you, sometimes you just keep running. Plot Summary Sean Lindell The End Climax Tomás steps out into the hallway in order to confront Tyler so that Sylv and Fareed will have time to run. Twin-brother privileges. Autumn. The school administration can't even file his name right. 14-18), ©1997-2020 Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Inc. 122 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011. Read the Study Guide for This Is Where It Ends….

From his position on the field, Coach curses. She cracks her knuckles with sharp snaps. Whatever binds them together has already ... Three women.

One stranger in a shimmering silver dress. When an elbow pokes my side, I startle.

Running, I know.

This character … Life goes on. Get This Is Where It Ends from Amazon.com. In Opportunity, everyone knows Mom danced around the world at every great company: London, Moscow, New York. Written by people who wish to remain anonymous. Tomas. It was the first time she's confided in me in months. I lean against the principal's desk and read. Lucinda Dyer of Common Sense Media, for example, loved the book, calling it "Intense and compelling" and saying that "this debut novel balances the senseless violence of a school shooting with uncommon acts of courage and compassion by a diverse cast of characters."

At six-foot-five and with sun-touched hair and blue eyes, Chris is not just our best runner but also Opportunity's poster-boy athlete.

Last school, date of admission — nothing I don't already know. VERDICT With a thrilling narrative, topical subject matter, and diverse characters, this is a first purchase for libraries serving teens.—Susannah Goldstein, Convent of the Sacred Heart, New York City Sylv tenses before she laughs, her voice rising above the crowd. She saw more countries than all of us combined. This book is extremely well written and really is a must read, containing a writing style that makes you never want to put this book down. GradeSaver, 11 January 2020 Web. Date of birth, address — boring. My best friend only laughs louder. Some days, when she thinks no one is watching, she still moves across the floor as if she's flying.

What a false sense of security, because minutes later, we would be worried about their lives. Whatever binds them together has already The even rhythm of his footsteps and his breathing challenge me to find my pace. I roll my shoulders to loosen the knotted muscles. Someone's in the hallway, he mouths. So here I am, breaking into school records.

One misstep's the difference between success and failure.".

These days, he doesn't even try to hide it. When he gives the all clear, I open the filing cabinet again. C'mon, c'mon, c'mon. Marieke Nijkamp's book This Is Where It Ends (published in 2016) is certainly an interesting and unique book. The Question and Answer section for This Is Where It Ends is a great You already know if those stories will end happily. will learn all about positive charges, negative charges, and electric ... Bestselling author Marianne Richmond shines a spotlight on grandmas, and the overflowing love they feel ... Bestselling author Marianne Richmond shines a spotlight on grandmas, and the overflowing love they feel I sink deep into my seat and glance at the empty place next to Autumn. Although the work is devastating, it offers a small moment of optimism and closure at the end without resorting to an incongruous tidy ending.

VERDICT With a thrilling narrative, topical subject matter, and diverse characters, this is a first purchase for libraries serving teens.—Susannah Goldstein, Convent of the Sacred Heart, New York City, 2015-10-06A minute-by-minute account of mass murder at a high school by a former student. ", "You're hilarious." I pull another folder out of the filing cabinet. I reach for the bowl on top of the desk and pop a few mints into my mouth.

And I had better things to do than study over break. At Opportunity, where so many of us prefer to stay hidden, she's the brightest spotlight on the darkest stage. The latest note in his file is unmistakable though: Reenrolling. He holds out his hands, and I toss him the file. It only took superglue — strategically squirted on the desk drawers of my favorite Spanish teacher, Mr. Look-At-Me-Strutting-My-Stuff-Like-A-Walking-Midlife-Crisis — for Far and me to find our way to the administrative office. This character is the security guard at Opportunity High that is killed by the gunman.

Although this book obviously has a lot of pain and sadness, the characters are all strong and well-written people with, apart from Tyler, good intentions. Twin-brother reputation.

We stock up on canned food, drink hot chocolate until we succumb to sugar comas, and pray to be saved from the cold. Agent: Jennifer Udden, Donald Maass Literary Agency. She isn't part of our home turf of familiar street names, churches, and shared secrets.

He started — or never stopped — drinking last night.

I don't want to let her down. "... it's all a matter of the decisions you make, today and every day. These notes were contributed by members of the GradeSaver community. It isn't just Mom's death.

You have to ask yourself how you can become the best you can be. According to his grades, he was a perfectly respectable C student. Kirkus Reviews called the book "brutal" and "emotionally charged" and said that it "will grip readers and leave them brokenhearted." The perfect stocking stuffer gift featuring 22 coupons. I grip my crumpled coffee cup, grab the threadbare denim messenger bag from under my seat, and block out Ty's voice in the back of my mind. All grace and beauty. Three years at Opportunity and Tyler coasted through all his classes. Lucky you.". "I found an old video recording of my mother's first Swan Lake in the attic this weekend. These The assembly is over, and Autumn holds herself ramrod straight. Her eyes linger on me, and my neck burns.

The starter gun shatters the silence, releasing the runners from their blocks. Not that I'll ever admit to that or even hint that I care. ", "Maybe you should stay on the farm then," Fareed drawls. Autumn runs up the stairs to see the

She flicks a purple lock of hair out of her face. Footsteps squeak on the linoleum outside the administrative office. ", Sylv's eyes are soft and questioning, and I nibble on my lip. He won't come. "All of break? They include his sister, Autumn, and her clandestine girlfriend, Sylv, who have only each other for solace as the home lives of both are in upheaval. No daughter of mine is going into that business. Opportunity High is a county high school, with students from all the small surrounding towns. "Keep telling yourself that.". Ages 14–up. Does the administration note criminal charges in student records?

I scan the folders in the filing cabinet. "No stress?

He still knew how to smile then, and he could make both Ty and me laugh. When Mom was still alive, he only drank when she was away and only during the darkest times. Dad didn't bother to get up. Auto Suggestions are available once you type at least 3 letters. To my left, Sylv groans. After what feels like forever, the footsteps move on. With Chris by my side, my stride shortens. A teacher pushes through. You can be sad. By the end of the assembly, everyone has to run to make it to class on time for third period. I threw Teddy a party. Four students from a range of different backgrounds at Alabama's Opportunity High, all of whom have a history with Tyler, the gunman, take turns telling this harrowing story in the first person. This character is a twin. Now I'd rather escape. Instead, it is another Monday.

And I should be happy for her.

familiar verses are passed from parent to child every generation, and this new treasury with original illustrations is chock full of the simplest and bestloved ... Three women. I tried that and I lost. But we're cutting it far too close. Click or Press Enter to view the items in your shopping bag or Press Tab to interact with the Shopping bag tooltip. Encourage children to develop social skills with this gentle and fun series!I scared off a The book takes place over the course of only 54 minutes and goes minute-by-minute through one students quest for revenge as they begin to shoot up their school. Probably not when the files are this easy to access. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 GradeSaver LLC. Current price is $9.89, Original price is $10.99.

Anonymous "This Is Where It Ends Background".

Lucky me. Nothing can touch us. This character is in love with another main character, but no one knows about their love. The perfect stocking stuffer gift featuring 22 coupons. I haven't lost much work. However, some reviewers hated the novel, calling it an "insult" to victims of school shootings and saying that it sensationalizes such an awful, heinous, and destructive thing that is plaguing the United States. The swallow. Just time. He may be a maggot, but he's the smartest kind: a harmless one.