That recipe you have sounds delicious, and I just may have to give that one a try :). Place the brandy and rum in a large glass jug or bottle with a wide neck. Author of four cookbooks.

Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account. This recipe and ice cream. Turn the jar once a day until all the sugar has dissolved. https://crushmag-online.com/recipe/clemengold-crepes-suzettes Passionately South African, proudly Capetonian. I said I would give him a bottle. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Strain through a fine sieve or wet muslin cloth. 5 things to have on hand in your kitchen for when you get unexpected guests, 5 brilliant breakfast hacks to ensure you start the day with a healthy spring in your step, Creamy lemon, strawberry and thyme ice cream, No-churn condensed milk, custard and koeksister ice cream, WATCH: how to make classic lemon meringue pie. Pinned to my drinks and beverages board.

Copyright © 2020 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. It is sweetened with glucose and cane sugar syrup, and has a deep golden amber hue. This recipe is easy as but it does take time...something like a few weeks. Recipe butter, icing sugar, lemon peel, van der hum (tangerine), oil, orange, eggs, salt, sugar, curacao, grand marnier, cointreau, brandy, rum, cognac, orange juice, milk, flour This is a wonderful finale to a dinner! :). 125ml (1/2 cup) water . Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so. This service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. Half fill the jar with the peel, loosely packed. I've made wine but never liqueur and I'm thinking everyone would want to be on your gift list for sure, the side of my tongue have been pretty excited while I've been here, I can almost taste it! There will be some errors in our database, occasional errors in the text of the recipe (on the external website) we actually link to and differences of opinion on what ingredients we should exclude in our allergen groups (see, Empire Drink Recipe by Mix It Up Bartender | ifood.tv, Alaskan Orange Recipe - How to make an Alaskan Orange, Cape Snow Recipe - How to make a Cape Snow, Commonwealth Recipe - How to make a Commonwealth. Have you thought about using it on ice cream? Some articles have Google Maps embedded in them. As South Africans, we celebrate by eating and Heritage day is no exception. Add the oil or melted butter and allow to stand for 1 hour.

During Jan van Riebeeck’s time, sweet and savoury pancakes were popular dishes in the Netherlands.

Van der Hum liqueur is uniquely Cape. It's irresistible. You could replace the usual Grand Marnier with Van der Hum in your Crepe Suzette recipe. I’m delighted to share with you this wonderful recipe and photo. Add the cloves, naartjie peel, cinnamon stick and nutmeg to the brandy, pour back into the bottle and leave for one month.

No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. Shake or stir every day. At school fêtes, street markets, public gatherings and sport events, the familiar sweet cinnamon smell of freshly cooked pancakes will lure you to the pancake stall, and many people take out the pancake pan at the first sign of the winter chills and rainy weather. Some articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites. And on 24 September, the US Alumni... Vergelegen: Great Wine & Beautiful Nguni Cattle, Stellenbosch on Stage: Live Virtual Concerts. //-->. Making your own liqueur is satisfying and makes great for gift giving.

Strain through a fine sieve or wet muslin cloth. 6 cloves. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. Before you get carried away you will need to find yourself a large jar, Kilner or Consul. It's well worth doing! HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others. The latest live virtual concerts in the Stellenbosch on Stage series features Spoegwolf on 29 August.

To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. These are preserving labels but will do the trick perfectly. This recipe from the book gets a sumptuous sauce made from Van Der Hum liqueur but I like my pancakes straight up with just a generous dusting of cinnamon sugar! Purchase Product - US Purchase Product - EU: Substitute mixers are - Orange Liqueur, Cointreau, Curacao, Grand Mariner, Van der Hum Liqueur, Triple Sec Bar Supplies - Bar … I have used a very large jar but do make sure it doesn't leak! Let us find a cocktail for you. Tasting of 3 wines from the Estate range: This is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. Mind you I must say naartjies do tend to be easier to peal and are juicer. Method. After all you will want to note when your liqueur was made, the name and anything special.

Your email address will not be published. I have a few people in mind for whom this would make a great gift! Pancake feasts on rainy days were family tradition where I grew up in the Freestate. Yes, once we made some homemade Grand Marnier. Terroir... Clear your calender! google_ad_height = 600; Research and development were done by food historian Hetta Terblanche-Van Deventer, who is the Food Director at La Motte. It is a liqueur made with Cape brandy and Cape Naartjie peel, f irst made by the Dutch settlers at the Cape. Navigate to the rest of the website from here or select from the top menu to keep searching for recipes. Van der Hum is a classic South African liqueur made from fruit and a good brandy base.

Strain again and bottle. Ingredients. Combine all the spices in a square of muslin cloth and bash lightly with a rolling pin to release the fragrances. /* SHona Kitch Vert Skyscraper */ We partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. They were selling their homemade wares at a stall. Thank You for stopping by and liking my lens SoundFinance. Add spices and brandy.

Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved, stirring continuously. As they say all good things take time and the same could be said for this home made Van der Hum. Required fields are marked *. 1 tsp (5 ml) sherry.

£56.40 Approx.

Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Leave for three weeks. This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Labels for Your Van der Hum. Irresistible Crepes Suzette! I don't mind liqueurs, but I love cinnamon. Random recipe; Get Lucky. You want people to know what you have made. We have been blessed with some good rainfalls countrywide in recent weeks, and today even the parched Cape Town got a decent downpour. When ready to cook, drop spoonfuls of batter into a hot greased pan. Some articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them.

The fruit used is locally called naarjie but tangerines can be used -- or even mandarins can be substituted. How Both Sweet and Savoury Puddings Have Evolved From Medieval Times to Present. There will be some errors in our database, occasional errors in the text of the recipe (on the external website) we actually link to and differences of opinion on what ingredients we should exclude in our allergen groups (see here). This is another old S A recipe. Discard all else and add sugar. Traditional pancakes with Van Der Hum sauce from Cape Winelands Cuisine Cookbook, La Motte. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. My favourite is van der Hum and yes, I do make my own! ½ cup (125 ml) Van der Hum liqueur.

You could replace the usual Grand Marnier with Van der Hum in your Crepe Suzette recipe. 750ml brandy.

Google provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. Hope you enjoy! Add the van der Hum liqueur, sherry and cream and pour the hot sauce over the pancakes just before serving.

Van der Hum : A South African brandy based orange liqueur flavored with herbs and spices. 1 cup (250 ml) water.

Cocktails with van der hum liqueur Best cocktails van der hum liqueur. This supports the Maven widget and search functionality. The old recipes instructed that spices such as cloves, nutmeg and mace be included in the dough and only sugar be sprinkled over the baked pancakes. Cocktails trending # Sex on the Beach # Blue Lagoon # Blue MotherFucker ... Let's do it >> Back to ingredients.

It never rained enough for us to get bored with pancakes and to this day, I rush to get out my mom’s pancake recipe at the very first drops of rain. Boil for about six minutes to form a thick syrup. 2 whole cloves. view recipes with Van Der Hum® liqueur. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data.

Cook until bubbles form the surface, then turn and cook the other side. Hi thanks for sharing this recipe, it sound like fun to make and drink. Use your best handwriting!

Too far back to remember who gave it to me even. This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons. Once you have the jar you will need to get the following: Eat the fruit! Thank you for sharing. 1 cinnamon stick.
This cocktail is popular in South Africa where it is made with locally produced brandy and a local orange liqueur called Van der Hum.

By the twentieth century, the only flavouring used was cinnamon sugar, sprinkled before serving. It seems easy to make . Drinks; Alaskan Orange. The sauce for the pancakes usually contained sugar, wine, cream and spices, but Van der Hum Liqueur, made from brandy, was a favoured ingredient. Zest of 1 naartjie or orange.