He had an outstanding personality. They worked three Super Bowls together. Do you have a sports website? Tom Brookshier was born on December 16, 1931 in Roswell, New Mexico, USA as Thomas Jefferson Brookshier. HE WILL BE MISSED. Looking for something to watch? He was a dear friend. Tom always gave 200% to everything he did. We present them here for purely educational purposes. Brookshier’s playing career, interrupted by two years’ Air Force service, ended after he broke his leg in a game against the Chicago Bears in 1961. May Tom's memory and the love and respect he created in his lifetime strengthen his family through this difficult time. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. It is highly recommended that you use the latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an optimal viewing experience. Copyright © 2000-2020 Sports Reference LLC. He always was a gentleman,always respected others , May he rest in Peace. For that, I am forever grateful. Tom was really one of the best tacklers I have ever seen - he tackled like Pop Warner would want him to. The following browsers are supported: Chrome, Edge (v80 and later), Firefox and Safari. the official stats partner of the NFL. I REMEMBER MR BROOKSHIER FROM HIS GAME END LEAP OF JOY AGAINST THE PACKERS IN 1960 TO HIS HUMOROUS AND INCISIVE ANALYSIS OF GAMES WITH PAT SUMMERAL. Well, look at what we did! He was one of the best in the business working alongside Pat Summerall. And on Sunday's on CBS doing NFL games, a credit to the city and to the Eagles. He was a backfield coach for two years at the Air Force Academy while serving as a lieutenant in the USAF and later starred for nine years (1953-1961) in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles as a defensive back. You could always depend on him. GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS FAMILY. Draft: Philadelphia Eagles in the 10th round (118th overall) of the 1953 NFL Draft. I will never forget his warmth and friendly personality.”, Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik and former teammate of Brookshier: “Tom Brookshier represented everything you could want in a teammate and friend. He left the team to do a two-year stint in the Air Force, after which he returned to the Eagles and twice earned All-Pro honors, in 1959 and in 1960 as a member of the NFL championship team. We lost a great leader in Tom Brookshier.”, Longtime Eagles public relations director Jim Gallagher: “Brookie was a special person and a heckuva football player. what ever happened to alex hawkins another one of there buddies..sincerly Jerry Lyn Quarry. I will never forget that such a highly accomplished, highly respected person that Tom was and will forever be in this city, took the time to welcome and care for me. PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Former Philadelphia Eagles star Tom Brookshier has died at 78. He was and will always be a champion. Tom Brookshier will forever remain an integral part of the Philadelphia Eagles. After a commercial for a coming CBS telecast of a basketball game involving the University of Louisville, Brookshier said that the team’s players had “a collective I.Q. This man could literally light up a room, and he brought the same passion and intensity to his playing and broadcasting careers.