For the first time, census takers will say goodbye to paper and clipboards and hello to iPhone apps. Enumerator/Census Taker (Former Employee) - Victoria, TX - July 3, 2020 It pays well, training is easy, and the management are really helpful and understanding people. Does anyone who has gone through the training know how it works. 2020 census training guide provides a comprehensive and comprehensive pathway for students to see progress after the end of each module. of persons per housing unit as determined by a prior census; or, 2. With its $5 billion total IT investment to usher the census into the digital age, the bureau actually hopes that most residents will not meet an iPhone 8-wielding canvasser. The Trump administration conducts the 2020 Census! Another is sandboxing, which restricts apps so they can't "reach" outside and access other apps. For the 2020 census, which is estimated to cost a total of $15.6 billion, the bureau has to avoid making the same blunder again. Currently waiting to figure out what the travel reimbursement situation is. cease all field data collection by Sept. 30, report of the management challenges of the 2010 census, report from the Government Accountability Office. After the door-to-door phase is scheduled to wrap up on Aug. 14, the bureau ships back the iPhones to CDW-G, which wipes them and removes them from the census' system. This can be about anything, from suggesting that the next canvasser to revisit be fluent in Russian, or that there's a big dog in the front yard that colleagues should be wary about. Links posted by Mod QueeLinx may have undergone curation and some fact-checking. The initial orientation/“training” meeting lasts 2-4 hours (it’s the same stuff for every group but there are wildly different competency levels of the supervisors running them so some take longer than others). He told me basically we should be getting an email soon with info as far as start date and times. Answered August 10, 2020. Posted by 1 month ago. Please check the Privacy Policy of the site you are visiting. Im in the same boat as you. It had GPS and was successfully used to track housing coordinates and log addresses of existing and new buildings. The undercount is underway! Aspiring Leaders Development Program (ALDP). Nevertheless, nothing is 100% impenetrable. In a sort of "dress rehearsal" for the 2020 census, which was conducted in 2018 in Rhode Island, enumerators completed 1.56 cases per hour worked using the app, compared to 1.05 cases during the 2010 census. News, lawsuits, housing and demography stories, links giving Census details, methods and occasional OC from Washington. "The data that [enumerators] collect does not stay on the device very long," said Thieme. More comprehensive than partisan. "The movie plot scenario is that this information is accessed," said Stephen Moore, chief security strategist at Exabeam, a cybersecurity company located in California. What could go wrong? I didnt know they could send you that far. 2 hours is nothing. The rest is online. You can toke up all u want ur fine, So an update i got a call today about the date but no times. "We certainly don't have any hubris," said Thieme, the assistant director for decennial census programs, systems and contracts. The Trump administration conducts the 2020 Census! Im expecting my training to be closer to me but i dont have the info of where it is or anything . CDW-G initially proposed using the iPhone 6, but once the iPhone 8 went on sale in 2017, the bureau was able to upgrade to it without an increase in cost. You may find this post Enumerator Training NYC and perhaps others on r/census interesting. I literally was just given a date and the hours it would be thats it. 2030 Census? In a 2018 release, the bureau called the 49% increase in productivity a "remarkable improvement.". By selecting this link you will leave www.census.gov. Close. ... Census Bureau uses the address list and maps to send enumerators to collect interview data from nonresponding households. What really??? (Though in real life, this would not be protocol. which occurs during initial training; training after that is online. It's also used to help companies like Target decide whether to build another location in your neighborhood, if a new freeway onramp should open up along your commute, or if your local senior center or homeless shelter receives enough federal funding for the year. To sign up for updates please enter your contact information below. "It is critical to any input of any sensible public policy.". According to a July 2011 report of the management challenges of the 2010 census by the bureau's then senior research scientist, Daniel Weinberg, the project failed partly because of a lack of rigorous software testing and early underestimates of the cost and time the endeavor would require. The app had to be user-friendly, given that hundreds of thousands of temporary workers from different backgrounds were going to use it. Executive Leadership Development Program (ELDP). On top of entering census information from respondents in the app, workers can also use it to read their prepared script, check their case list, log their hours and expenses and connect to the help center if they run into any issues. I was hoping to get in contact with them so I could get into the morning session. When I asked if I would receive an email regarding training I was told that I would but have yet to receive anything. In the next few months, thousands of bureau employees, known specifically as enumerators, will fan out across the country to conduct one of the federal government's largest peacetime efforts. In a sort of "dress rehearsal" for the 2020 census, which was conducted in 2018 in Rhode Island, enumerators completed 1.56 cases per hour worked … In an effort to make the door-to-door process, which is the most laborious and expensive part of the census, faster and more efficient, the bureau is arming 500,000 enumerators with the Apple iPhone 8. Learn more about the COVID-19 safety measures. The following enumeration methods are available to group quarters administrators. (Due to the coronavirus, the bureau pushed its original date from May 13.). This site should only be used for observers outside of the Census Bureau. Update, Aug. 4: After starting nonresponse followups in limited areas in July, the US Census Bureau announced on Monday that it will cease all field data collection by Sept. 30. The iPhones' features have also been limited by the bureau and the devices can only be used as a census tool. It is highly recommended to use either Google CHROME, FireFox, Safari or Edge web browser for accessing the guides. The undercount is underway! V2.0 July 12, 2019 Final Document Change History Revision # Version Date Description 1 v0.01 06/27/2016 Initial Working DRAFT Version from 2020 Census DOP If a phone is reported stolen or lost, it will be remotely bricked and completely nonfunctional. The bureau also planned for the PDAs to be used for nonresponse followups, but the venture fell apart in the end. Yep. Select an operation below to view the available training guides. The interface of the app canvassers will use, taken from a 2018 census presentation. Select an operation below to view the available training guides. Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP). The idea of a census sounds deceptively simple: Just count everybody in the country and count them in the right place. Enumerator training. I called my nearest office this morning and got some info. Group Quarters Enumeration for the 2020 Census will be conducted across the United States, including in Puerto Rico, from July 1 through August 26, 2020.Late Group Quarters Enumeration for the 2020 Census will be conducted September 23 through October 21, 2020.. SES Candidate Development Program (SES CDP). In 2006, the bureau awarded defense contractor Harris Corporation a $600 million contract to provide 600,000 PDAs. TO CENSUS 2020 TRAINING MANUAL ... Census 2020 marks the first time the option to respond online will be made available. When the bureau began to consider pitches from potential contractors in 2015, many devices for data collecting out in the field were suggested, including Android phones and tablets. Timing and Enumeration Methods. Timing and Enumeration Methods. I got the call two days ago about training beginning on Friday in my area of NY. Seems very unorganized. 2020 Census LUCA General Training Workshop Script (January 2018) ... instruction, refer to the Respondent Guide that accompanies the materials. "That'll erode the competence of the system and it'll decrease participation, which may be the goal of some foreign adversary, and that's a risk.". The program provides leadership development opportunities and addresses core competencies identified by the Office of Personnel Management. you will be paid for travel that occurs after you are sworn in. That's a month earlier than originally planned. The 2020 census is underway in the US. In perhaps the most pertinent example of the census' importance as the nation grapples with COVID-19, its data also helps allocate emergency readiness needs. Do not use this web page to access your CFS and Enumerator training. The bureau also distributed its online footprint to servers all over the country to prevent a potential flooding or overwhelming of its app (this would avoid a similar situation to the Iowa Caucuses in February) and would help thwart a malicious denial-of-service attack (which happened during the 2016 Australian Census). Pegasystems had to tackle a certain set of issues that are unique to the census in the app's design process. After weighing the competition, the bureau went with CDW-G in June 2017, a tech company headquartered in Illinois, who pitched the leasing of iPhones. Press J to jump to the feed. The stakes to pull off a census have always been high, but with this year's adoption of new technological methods, the pressure to succeed is even higher. So disorganized, More posts from the USCensus2020 community. Custom-built by HTC and known as the HTC Census, the blue and gray plastic device had a small display that sat above a set of physical keys. In comparison, the 2010 Census had a final national response rate of 74%. They are then repurposed or resold by CDW-G for other enterprise purposes. In addition to working alongside the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies, the bureau itself knows it must remain hypervigilant against nefarious actors, be it foreign or domestic, who either want to access sensitive information or alter it to gain political advantages. As of Aug. 3, only 63% of the country's households have responded to the census. Welcome to your Census 2020 Stage Training Site. The 2020 Census Detailed Operational Plan for the Nonresponse Followup operation (NRFU) is intended for use by U.S. Census Bureau managers, staff, contractors, and other internal and external stakeholders working on the 2020 Census. The portal was primarily built and is maintained by Pegasystems, a Massachusetts-based software company, who also designed the app enumerators will use. 2020 Census LUCA General Training Workshop Script (January 2018) ... instruction, refer to the Respondent Guide that accompanies the materials. And the app had to work with or without a network connection given the variety of locations canvassers will travel. One is code signing, a feature that prevents apps from being recognized if they alter their code after installation. I got the call Friday but was out and couldn't take down any information. A simulated nonresponse followup interview in Houston, February 2016. Cities and towns may choose to conduct a special population census.