It's a piece of classic fifties Sci Fi and on blu ray it looks great. First exposed to this as a young man in the 70's reading Monster Magazines and the newspaper...'The Monster Times'. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. It's a piece of classic fifties Sci Fi and on blu ray it looks great. Black & White, Closed-captioned, Color, NTSC, Jeff Morrow, Faith Domergue, Rex Reason, Lance Fuller, Russell Johnson, Franklin Coen, George Callahan, Raymond F. Jones, Reviewed in the United States on June 6, 2018. Although he had a reputation in Hollywood for being "artistically temperamental" he was a real old trouper and had an extensive film and television career. Over many years ever since childhood I have watched this film many times in several formats. Up until very recently, this was a rarely available film. Though "Forbidden Planet"'s Cinemascope release a year later would eclipse "This Island Earth," it remains a favorite for many. Never dreamt as a kid I'd have a perfect copy years later to watch over and over. Unable to add item to List. It looks as good as when I saw it in the theater.

Still waiting. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 October 2017. As things progress things don't quite add up, and this leads to a realisation that the future of Earth is very much in the balance. The only blu-ray until now has been a slightly shabby bare bones affair so this disc, from a 4K scan of a new interpositive, should be great. And the copy is pristine. This film was one of the greats from the 1950's along with When the Worlds Collide, Forbidden Planet, Day of the Triffids and the Time Machine. This Island Earth isn't a stone-cold classic of the 1950s technicolour sci-fi era but it was a solid entry and is fondly remembered. (and let's not forget, Faith's always perfect lipstick!) He played the cat in Rhubarb (1951); This Island Earth (1955); The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957); The Diary of Anne Frank (1959); Gigot (1962); The Comedy of Terrors(1964); and; Village of the Giants (1965). Try again. The picture quality is good, but not pristine. The extras package certainly is -- a 45 minute documentary, two commentaries and a slightly baffling interview with Luigi "Star Crash" Cozzi. I first saw this movie when I was a young man and it really impressed me. The always reliable Jeff Morrow introduces a thoughtful, intelligent "alien" in the Michael Rennie "Day the Earth Stood Still" vein.

Captures the fear of the atomic age perfectly. Not the greatest science fiction film of the 1950s but certainly one of the most enjoyable, This Island Earth finally gets the remastered/extras-loaded release it deserves, making it a DVD Talk Collectors Series title. The moody mystery of the first half turns to pure pulp adventure when the humans are transported across the galaxy to the battle-scarred world of Metaluna, under the threatening watch of a monstrous bug-eyed monster with a giant brain for a head and massive claws for hands. Okay - but zoomed and cropped to fake widescreen format. He won two Patsy Awards (the animal equivalent of Oscars). In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Jeff Morrow, under a raised forehead, bronze tan, and snow-white hair, philosophizes as Exeter, the thoughtful Metalunian torn between his duty and his morals as he forces the plucky humans to labour in his race's defense. If you're a fan of fifties science fiction it's a must.

And the copy is pristine. There's a problem loading this menu right now. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The ginger cat in the film "Neutron" was a famous Hollywood leading cat actor called "Orangey" whose other aliases included "Jimmy" and "Rhubarb". Movies 4 You - Sci Fi Classics (The Man from Planet X / Beyond the Time Barrier / The Time Travelers / The Angry Red Planet). When I saw this French multi-region Bluray version I said what the heck. Please try again. Although he had a reputation in Hollywood for being "artistically temperamental" he was a real old trouper and had an extensive film and television career. You may be charged a restocking fee up to 50% of item's price for used or damaged returns and up to 100% for materially different item.

A fan favorite for over 60 years. I bought it. It's a piece of classic fifties Sci Fi and on blu ray it looks great. And even then star Faith Domergue would hardly have needed so much "help" from co-star Rex Reason were she not always in cocktail party attire and high heels (my neighbor Carol Jean would have kicked that monster just where....).
Picture quality is excellent in both ratios, though I prefer the 1.37-1 open-matte and grain-haters should beware as the film is (mercifully) NOT lathered into pastiness as were many early Blu-ray releases. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Once there they realize that their captors are not in fact humans but visiting aliens, who desperately need the Earthmen's help. Blu-Ray upgrade for Top Notch 50's Science Fiction Movie, Reviewed in the United States on August 4, 2019, This review is for the Blu-Ray edition of 'This Island Earth' released by Kino Lorber on July 9, 2019, Reviewed in the United States on April 11, 2017, A quintessential essential if you have a 50's Sci-Fi collection. Great long length. It's the version of this movie I've been waiting for and I'm so glad to have been able to find it.

The sound quality is clean and crystal clear. Okay - but zoomed and cropped to fake widescreen format. Great old sci-fi classic that was truly deserving of a bluray release, but this probably ISN'T the release you've been waiting for. They've been kidnapped by a dying alien race, the Metalunians, to repair their defense shield before their enemies destroy their world completely, toiling under their spying eyes and futuristic security cameras (two-way TVs that dominate every room). This Island Earth isn't a stone-cold classic of the 1950s technicolour sci-fi era but it was a solid entry and is fondly remembered. The only blu-ray until now has been a slightly shabby bare bones affair so this disc, from a 4K scan of a new interpositive, should be great. When I saw this French multi-region Bluray version I said what the heck. Classic B-movie sci-fi shocker. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 18, 2017.

Captures the fear of the atomic age perfectly.

The cold hearted aliens desperate for nuclear fuel. Please try again. There's a genuine sense of wonder to Joseph Newman's intergalactic adventure, one of the most ambitious science fiction films of the 1950s. The disc features German and English audio, plus German sub-titles. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Bugs genetically modified to provide security and labor. Stuart Galbraith IV is the Kyoto-based film historian currently …

And was I pleased. Sold by westworld- and sent from Amazon Fulfillment. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Great G/PG rated fun that you can watch w your nieces and nephews and not scare them to death. Picture quality is excellent in both ratios, though I prefer the 1.37-1 open-matte and grain-haters should beware as the film is (mercifully) NOT lathered into pastiness as were many early Blu-ray releases. I have seen this film numerous times and it gets better on each viewing.

The project is apparently in the cause of finding world peace, and once arriving at his destination, Carl finds other notable scientists are also there, including the radiant Ruth Adams. After he and the gorgeous Dr. Adams (Faith Domergue) make their escape shortly before the lab explodes, they are whisked away in a flying saucer to Metaluna, where they are blamed for the destruction. If you're a fan of fifties science fiction it's a must.

7/10 Bright, sharp images that bring the rich technicolor hues to life are simply amazing, especially in the widescreen (1.85) format. Though "Forbidden Planet"'s Cinemascope release a year later would eclipse "This Island Earth," it remains a favorite for many. Picture quality is very good given the age of the movie & the choice of disc cover artwork is a fun idea. You have to judge for yourself if it's for you, but you're reading the reviews, so it must be on your purchasing radar. Reviewed in the United States on July 10, 2019. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. I've been waiting for years for them to get around to remastering this film.

This film was one of the greats from the 1950's along with When the Worlds Collide, Forbidden Planet, Day of the Triffids and the Time Machine. Unable to add item to List. Never dreamt as a kid I'd have a perfect copy years later to watch over and over. Great old sci-fi classic that was truly deserving of a bluray release, but this probably ISN'T the release you've been waiting for. Great, imaginative 50s sci-fi at last reaches Blu-ray in this delightful release.

Made in 1955 and based on the novel of the Mormon science fiction writer Raymond F. Jones, this is a classic, cold war science fiction treat. Unable to add item to List. Wells (1964), Forbidden Planet -2-Disc 50th Anniversary Edition [DVD] [1956], Earth vs. the Flying Saucers [DVD] [1956], The Time Machine - Rod Taylor - Remastered! Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. We use cookies and similar tools to enhance your shopping experience, to provide our services, understand how customers use our services so we can make improvements, and display ads. Sorry, there was a problem saving your cookie preferences. Picture quality is very good given the age of the movie & the choice of disc cover artwork is a fun idea. He played the cat in Rhubarb (1951); This Island Earth (1955); The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957); The Diary of Anne Frank (1959); Gigot (1962); The Comedy of Terrors(1964); and; Village of the Giants (1965). Buy it. So glad I did! Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. We kids of the 50s loved this one with its interesting premise and wonderful (for the era) special effects (AND a great "monster.") Back then you had to wait forever and pray your nearest big city (Detroit) had it in their inventory. A trip across the universe in a flying saucer. The always reliable Jeff Morrow introduces a thoughtful, intelligent "alien" in the Michael Rennie "Day the Earth Stood Still" vein. Superb color. The War of the Worlds (The Criterion Collection). Learn more about the program. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. The cold hearted aliens desperate for nuclear fuel. I play it using my computer, via Plex, so was able to deal with the region mis-match. Great long length. This Island Earth – Two And A Half Years In The Making: The Extended Documentary – A Look At The Making Of This Island Earth WAR OF THE PLANETS : 1958 Castle Films Release For The Home Market Including Both The 50-Foot Silent Headline Edition …

2020 Version -- good extras but wrong ratio just leaves me angry, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 30, 2020.