Log in sign up. He played in the 2018 NRL Grand Final. He stunned the rugby league world on Saturday night with one of the most insane hit-ups you'll ever see and now Storm winger Suliasi Vunivalu has copped a contrary conduct charge for the incident. While it looks like it was more of a brainfade rather than anything malicious, the hit-up and proceeding charge means Vunivalu will now cop a $1100 fine but avoid any suspension with an early guilty plea. If you see a question mark (? On 16 February 2018, Vunivalu played in the 2018 World Club Challenge victory over the Leeds Rhinos, scoring a try. "I have a bad back that has transferred into my hamstring problems so I'm trying to be active and getting treatment on that with a few massages a week.". He wasn't trying to kick anyone or hurt anyone. [11] He went on to score doubles in his second, third, fifth and eighth games also,[12][13] gaining top position on the club's try-scorers list for the 2016 season. "I was so nervous going into last week's game, knowing it was going to be high intensity," Vunivalu said. "100 per cent - the week off will definitely benefit my hamstring," he said. On December 3rd 2019 he signed a deal with the Queensland Reds that competes in the Super Rugby starting in 2021 ... Vunivalu … The Fijian flyer went down late in the Parramatta playoff, with the Storm trainer concerned about another hamstring injury and stopping play, which resulted in a fine for the club. On 3 September, he set the record for most tries in a debut season record by scoring his 22nd try of the season against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, eclipsing the previous record of 21 tries set by Israel Folau back in 2007. On 10 November, he scored his second hat trick of tries in the 60th minute mark after beating Italy in the 38-10 win at Canberra Stadium. "Suliasi Vunivalu - Career Stats & Summary", "Updated team lists: Wests Tigers v Storm", "Warriors suffer embarrassing 42-0 defeat to Melbourne Storm on Anzac Day", "Storm monster Titans in seven-try slaughter", "Melbourne Storm re-sign Suliasi Vunivalu, Josh Addo-Carr on multi-year deals", "World Cup squads: Every team, every country", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Suliasi_Vunivalu&oldid=970759917, Expatriate rugby league players in Australia, People educated at Saint Kentigern College, Pages using infobox rugby league biography with unknown parameters, Infobox rugby league biography with rugby union parameters, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 2 August 2020, at 06:13. "I'm very happy with the win and we got another week off to rest it. "He's (Koroibete) been killing it in rugby union and it gives me confidence I can do what he's doing." When Vunivalu turned 17, he made the Blues development team after impressing in schoolboy rugby. "100 per cent - the week off will definitely benefit my hamstring," he said. In other matches last night, the Dragons thrashed the Titans 42-16 while the Panthers beat the Cowboys 24-16. On 2 October, he played in the 2016 NRL Grand Final loss against Sharks.[14]. Suliasi Vunivalu (born 27 November 1995) is a Fijian professional rugby league footballer who plays on the wing for the Melbourne Storm in the NRL and Fiji at international level. Suliasi Bainiua Vunivalu Born Monday, 27th November, 1995 Current Age 24 years and 322 days Place Of Birth Suva, Central Division, Fiji Career Statistics. MORE: Ask the Lurker Extra: Will Hayne actually leave the Titans? "I have a bad back that has transferred into my hamstring problems so I'm trying to be active and getting treatment on that with a few massages a week." "I think they're probably scratching their heads at home at the moment wondering what it was.". Australian Associated Press, https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/253a0757-43ae-4697-b3b4-79929734d1ef.jpg/r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg, Young gun to lead Pomonal's A Grade for new season, Meet the candidates for Ararat Rural City Council election, Zac takes a chance with a new business in his gap year, Man arrested following Black Range stabbing on Saturday, Renowned artist's property sold after 'ridiculous' amount of inquiry, Motorists warned as kangaroos are on the hop. Vunivalu fined for Roosters jump ... Storm winger Suliasi Vunivalu has been charged for a bizarre incident during his side's narrow victory over the Roosters on Saturday night. Melbourne Storm is now six points clear at the top of the NRL points table after this win. Vunivalu then moved to Auckland, New Zealand at the age of 16[1] and played rugby union for Saint Kentigern College. Official Fan page of Flying Fijian winger for the Melbourne Storm! In a rare move, Vunivalu also caught the ball with his thighs. Skipper Cup / Farebrother Sullivan Trophy Challenge. Missing Melbourne's preliminary final loss to the Sydney Roosters last year, the 24-year-old feared history could be repeating itself. Signing a two-year deal to play Super Rugby with Queensland, Vunivalu said it was sinking in that his time with Melbourne was coming to an end. The rugby-bound winger has suffered left hamstring issues all season while he was also sidelined with a broken jaw with the injuries limiting him to 15 games. Early in the season, Suliasi was selected for his Fiji Bati international debut at the Pacific Rugby League Test against Tonga, played at the Campbelltown Stadium in Sydney on 6 May. Suliasi Vunivalu ISAIAH 40:31 ☝ ️☝ He had faith his hamstring was up for two more games in the NRL, should the Storm make it to the grand final this year. ", Suliasi Vunivalu is keeping the Melbourne masseur working overtime as he tries to keep his troublesome hamstring in shape for the Storm's NRL preliminary final next Friday night. It was one of the most unusual plays we've ever seen in rugby league - and that's saying something. Suliasi Vunivalu could be in trouble after jumping knee first into a tackle. He also played for the Fiji Bati in the mid season and post season tests. Want to have your say about this player? The rugby-bound winger has suffered left hamstring issues all season while he was also sidelined with a broken jaw with the injuries limiting him to 15 games. 4,203 talking about this. Vunivalu will keep an eye on the Wallabies Bledisloe Cup match in New Zealand on Sunday, hopeful that he could follow ex-Storm winger Marika Koroibete into the Test side. Ask the Lurker Extra: Will Hayne actually leave the Titans. "He's (Koroibete) been killing it in rugby union and it gives me confidence I can do what he's doing. [8] In Round 7, he made his NRL debut for the Storm against the Wests Tigers,[9][10] scoring two tries on debut. Signing a two-year deal to play Super Rugby with Queensland, Vunivalu said it was sinking in that his time with Melbourne was coming to an end. He had faith his hamstring was up for two more games in the NRL, should the Storm make it to the grand final this year. All statistics shown in this section are based only on data available in the RLP database, and are not necessarily a complete and/or 100% accurate representation of a player's career. He made his NRL debut in 2016 and has played 109 games, scoring 84 tries. On December 3rd 2019 he signed a deal with the Queensland Reds that competes in the Super Rugby starting in 2021, Vunivalu was born in Suva, Fiji, and grew up in the province of Bua and was educated at Lelean Memorial School.[5]. Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy was just as bemused as the rest of us as to the reason behind Vunivalu's bizarre hit-up. Suliasi Vunivalu does a hurdle jump over two Roosters players (Photo: foxsports). Vunivalu was relieved this time it was only a cramp and he would be available for the Suncorp Stadium grand final qualifier. Storm facing potential fine as NRL seeks answers over Vunivalu stoppage, Eels sweating on fitness of Brown, Storm quartet likely, The last dance: Vunivalu on his mateship with Asofa-Solomona, Full Match Replay: Melbourne Storm v Sydney Roosters (1st Half) - Round 23, 2017, You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content. It was one of the most unusual plays we've ever seen in rugby league - and that's saying something. He made his NRL debut in 2016 and has played 109 games, scoring 84 tries. On 31 August, Vunivalu extended his contract with the Storm until the end of the 2020 season. [17] Vunivalu was selected in the Fiji 24-man squad for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup. All statistics shown in this section are based only on data available in the RLP database, and are not necessarily a complete and/or 100% accurate representation of a player's career. [16] He was part of the Melbourne Storm's premiership winning team against the North Queensland Cowboys in the 2017 NRL Grand Final. "I was so nervous going into last week's game, knowing it was going to be high intensity," Vunivalu said. Suliasi Vunivalu (born 27 November 1995) is a Fijian professional rugby league footballer who plays on the wing for the Melbourne Storm in the NRL and Fiji at international level. On December 3rd, Vunivalu signed a two year deal with the Queensland Reds in Super Rugby, beginning in 2021. On 5 November, Vunivalu scored his hat trick tries in the record scored of 72-6 victory over Wales at 1300SMILES Stadium. Fiji-born wing Suliasi Vunivalu also did a hurdle jump over two Roosters players last night. Vunivalu played 24 games for the Storm in 2019, scoring 11 tries, including a hat-trick in the Storm's 22-10 round 2 victory over the Canberra Raiders at GIO Stadium. "I'd rather play with a broken jaw than a torn hamstring."