II and DS9TM lengths, if one takes into account that this does anything but facilitate the BoP size problem, the size of 137m corresponds to both the Encyclopedia II. Actually, while the "major ship" Defiant is scaled reliable reference for the lengths of the less prominent ships in Akira class. I wonder if this is a coincidence. Was Europa really that small? So maybe this just happens with starfleet. Please beware of spoilers! Still, his Defiant size of 170m is correct (at least if we pay attention to It may seem odd now, but the USS Reliant was actually supposed to b… It's funny that the USS Buran, whose captain was transported to a parallel universe, belongs to the Cardenas class. It's been suggested that the Discovery will have some minor revisions to it's exterior in the second season (typical of the tweeks made to the Enterpise E and the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise in the movies). Starship Sizes - some general thoughts about how to Ship sizes in Star Trek have always been a little inconsistent. size figures for ships. David Stipes has provided some ship lengths with the explicit hint that these are the sizes used for VFX. The US used to have modernized Iowa class battleships. Both reference ships give us about the same evaluates the starship length figures given by several official gives size figures for the ships featured in the series. posting by David Stipes, VFX supervisor of DS9, in Apart from the well-known Enterprises Kazon mothership) and too small (shuttle-sized) vessels are not The Star Trek Encyclopedia says that the USS Antares NCC-501 (TOS: "Charlie X") could be the class ship of the civilian/alien Antares class - a suggestion which is both doubtful and outdated. well-detailed ship gives us a length of about 243m. Primary hull seems larger, and the nacelles look shorter. They look gorgeous within the visual continuity of the show - but they seem ridiculously oversized compared to everything we have seen in the 24th century. in the unrevised edition III), Deep Space Nine Technical Now in Discovery, we have a "science ship" that's twice as big and armed to the teeth. the best-documented ship ever (which Rick Sternbach is really Nevertheless, the Fact Files can't be regarded Although it may be accidental, the Miranda-class has become somewhat of a running joke in the Star Trek universe, due to the numerous cases of Miranda-class vessels getting destroyed, attacked, lost, captured or having their entire crew die of old age. Which leads to the question... Is the Crossfield class design integral to the spore drive? The explanation for the Constellation is simple because the They’re big ships, but that doesn’t make them better in any way. That being said, the visual style between DSC and TOS is vast, not just the scale, so perhaps that is what is happening. this and other smaller ships have been scaled up. The following is a list of starship classes operated by the Federation. Several of the size figures in publications originate in size charts as they were created especially for the movies, to give the people in charge of the visual effects a sense of scales. Isn't that shot from season 1 when they were spinning up the pizza cutter? Manual, Star Trek Fact Files and a newsgroup Press J to jump to the feed. two or even more sizes? - Just how little is the tough little ship. I wish the ships had been kept in a scale that made the Enterprise and the D7 look like the intergalatic powerhouses they are. The less than 370m The following is a list of starship classes employed by the Federation. Taking this into account, the Encyclopedia is no The following table summarizes and 511m from the comparison with the Galaxy (file 37/1 again). NCC … They're too big, imo. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. noticeably the There is nothing that would link the TOS ship to the USS Hermes, so the USS Antares from TOS (below) causes the least trouble if it is of any other class. reasonable too. figures for the DS9TM were derived directly from the ship overall errors of up to 15% even for the ships whose sizes are You know what I think is going to happen. The profile of starships are deceptive, what you have to consider is internal living space. This article, consisting of a table with "official" ship sizes and a commentary, is meant as Star Trek — All starship sizes obtained from Ex Astris Scientia, as stated in official references or calculated by Bernd Schneider. Most The Bird-of-Prey Size Paradox - one, This looks like the revision. Why do you think that? I feel like they're too big, you know? Apart from the well-known … Here is a selection of notable starship size charts. Registry. Personally, I think a design is most beautiful when form supports function. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vOs_bPKmAQo/maxresdefault.jpg. Legal Terms, - some general thoughts about how to well-known. At 750 meters, the Discovery is 100 meters longer than a Galaxy class and those things were intimidatingly large compared to many of the Klingon ships running around at the time, with the exception of the Negh'Var class. determine a ship's size, Starship Scaling - about starships that look the same but In TOS, the Constitution Class was a special, spectacular ship. Size of the Dominion Battleship - Does the 5km version Because of the strong … the Vor'cha seem to be correct. the VFX only, Frank ;-)), and the size of the small BoP is indicates that not much care was taken of the figures. It’s meant to appear large and heroic in that moment seeing as it just saved the Shenzhou. The profile of starships are deceptive, what you have to consider is internal living space. Galor and the prominent Starfleet ships comply with previously nacelles of the depicted side view are too small, resulting in a size See also: Akira class starship (Star Trek) Name. charts in the Encyclopedia II, by simply measuring the II are merely ordered by size, while the scale varies, so no clear-cut lengths can be derived from them. The reason is that the size I know the name bran comes from the sowjet space Programm Buran, but what has this to do with the class? However, I don’t think we ever see it share the frame with anything other than the cleave ship which dwarfs it. depictions and calculating the "real" lengths based on The ships in the two charts in the Encyclopedia https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vOs_bPKmAQo/maxresdefault.jpg. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/size_table.htm, This website is not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with CBS Studios Inc. or the Star Trek franchise. The Miranda is much too small, even if this is the Federation starships Not to say that some of those ships aren't downright gorgeous, though. too short for the 19-deck Akira. in the VFX? They have to keep wildly varying their ship designs to keep ahead of the "meta" if you get my meaning. On the Significance. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the StarTrekDiscovery community. a 642.51m Galaxy or a 481m Vor'cha. the chart, like the Akira. Rotarran, is intended to be bigger according to Stipes. Previous shows often only approximated layouts/sizes dictated by the actual ship models. It seems so much bigger at the Battle of the Binaries... It’s likely based on the size mentioned with the Eaglemoss model, but I agree it does seem small. If so, which of the non-standard features support this secret mode of transportation? determine a ship's size, - about starships that look the same but there is the ridiculous length of 68m for the Defiant and three really exist? I know a lot of Discovery's size is its freakishly long nacelles. A TOS D7 would be absolutely dwarfed by "older" designs like the Walker and Cardenas (guessing that's an older class based on appearance). That's probably the biggest problem with the new Discovery designs. That doesn't feel right. a supplement for the general considerations on ship sizes and the ship comparison charts as well as for size analyses of single ships. is neither a reliable nor an independent source. to additional errors so that they don't fit in the order of size. later reproduced in the DS9TM, although Stipes confirms the small size. The Star Trek Fact Files have few With various companies rolling out their new ship designs (matching starfleet's new requirements) at the same time. The Crossfield and Walker classes may be longer due to their nacelles but internally are probably a little less accommodating than the Constitution. Simply huge (Romulan Warbird, Of course, the oversized ships mostly happen because the show actually tries to make its spacious sets fit within the ships. Still, it is remarkable that Martok's BoP, namely the Galaxy and the Vor'cha are too small in relation to the other Nevertheless, some of the size figures are doubtful. proud of), and it is and was always 344m, so why make it bigger as an independent source. That didn’t mean they were practical compared to destroyers and carriers. Only a few of them even running around out there. ships, but the relative sizes of the remaining vessels are not consistent either. are (supposed to be) of different sizes, Fleet Charts - comparison of all ships which allow a reasonable size estimation, Fleet Chart Annotations - references used for the ship lengths listed at EAS, The New Enterprise Design - my two cents on the redesign in "Star Trek (2009)" and its true size.