Go to, To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, Would - bring thee into my mother's house, who would instruct me -, In the day when she shall be spoken for? What fruit unto holiness? Used by permission. (5-7) The church pleads for others. I neither envy thee thy vineyard, nor them their profits. 10 I am a wall, and my breasts like towers: then was I in his eyes as one that found favour. Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy, Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. The figures of young women are frequently thus impressed on the arms and on the breasts. 6 (F)Set me as a seal upon your heart,As a seal upon your arm;For love is as strong as death,(G)Jealousy as [a]cruel as [b]the grave;Its flames are flames of fire,[c]A most vehement flame. 14 (L)Make[d] haste, my beloved,And (M)be like a gazelleOr a young stagOn the mountains of spices. 12 My own vineyard is before me.You, O Solomon, may have a thousand,And those who tend its fruit two hundred. Given the previous use of the word “jealousy” and the common feeling of devotion that spouses feel for one another and that God feels for His people, it is not too far fetched to apply these verses to God in His love for people. © 2020 Christianity.com. 8 Oh, that you were like my brother,Who nursed at my mother’s breasts!If I should find you outside,I would kiss you;I would not be despised.2 I would lead you and bring youInto the (A)house of my mother,She who used to instruct me.I would cause you to drink of (B)spiced wine,Of the juice of my pomegranate. Is there in us an ardent wish to serve Christ more and better? Thank you! Scripture quoted by permission. Love of Christ, will enable us to repel and triumph over temptations from the smiles of the world, as well as from its frowns. Where they do not rise spontaneously, they can never exist. As it is customary to build towers upon a wall, and to put bolts and bars upon a door in order to secure it, so the expressions may point out the defense, protection, and guardianship which they imagined this young woman to require. She replies, craving his speedy return to take her to be wholly with Him. Insight 777 on Song of Solomon 8 Verse 1, Israel is acknowledging that they share the same father as Lebanon but not the same mother. Let nothing abate our love to him. In the preceding notes I have carefully avoided all attempts to spiritualize this song. Keep thyself, O Solomon, thy thousand pieces of silver, and let those who dress (thy vineyard) have two hundred for their trouble. Some suppose that there is a reference here to some property which Pharaoh had given to Solomon with his daughter. 1832. 3 His left hand should be under my head, and his right hand should embrace me. This is why she says, - When any person shall demand her in marriage. She then exclaims that jealousy is fierce as the grave. These verses close the conference between Christ and his church. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica. 11 Solomon had a vineyard at Baalhamon; he let out the vineyard unto keepers; every one for the fruit thereof was to bring a thousand pieces of silver. Desire for communion with Christ. 13 You who dwell in the gardens,The companions listen for your voice—(K)Let me hear it! This is not appropriate in their culture and time period. Those who truly love Christ, are jealous of every thing that would draw them from him; especially of themselves, lest they should do any thing to provoke him to withdraw from them. Please feel free to view any of the other chapters that have been analysed on PoemAnalysis.com: Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6Chapter 7 Chapter 8, At the beginning of this chapter in the Song of Solomon, the woman expresses the way she longs to show her lover affection in public. Solomon had a vineyard - Calmet translates and paraphrases the Hebrew of these two verses thus: " Song of Solomon 8:11; : Solomon has a vineyard at Baal-hamon: he has let it out to keepers, each of whom for the fruit of it was to bring a thousand pieces of silver. You who dwell in the gardens with friends in attendance, let me hear your voice! If it be not excited naturally, no money can purchase it, no property can procure it, no arts can persuade it. 5 (E)Who is this coming up from the wilderness,Leaning upon her beloved? Solomon's vineyard, Song of Solomon 8:11, Song of Solomon 8:12. Nor will life, and all its comforts, entice a believer from loving Christ. The younger sister, Song of Solomon 8:8-10. Song of Solomon 2:8 German Bible Alphabetical: across Behold beloved bounding Climbing comes coming he Here hills is leaping Listen Look lover mountains My on over the OT Poetry: Song of Solomon 2:8 The voice of my beloved! Believers, by the power of grace, are brought up from the wilderness. What's your thoughts? All that work for Christ, work for themselves, and shall be unspeakable gainers by it.13,14 These verses close the conference between Christ and his church. 5 Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved? The church pleads for the Gentiles, who then had not the word of God, nor the means of grace. Love of Christ, will enable us to repel and triumph over temptations from the smiles of the world, as well as from its frowns.8-12 The church pleads for the Gentiles, who then had not the word of God, nor the means of grace. All that work for Christ, work for themselves, and shall be unspeakable gainers by it. We should reason with ourselves, when tempted to do what would grieve the Spirit.5-7 The Jewish church came up from the wilderness, supported by Divine power and favour. Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. It does not mean that she wishes her lover were her brother. The following is nearly literal: "Under the apple tree I excited thee (to espouse me): there, thy mother contracted thee; - there, she that brought thee forth contracted thee (to me). His love for people is like an all consuming fire that cannot be quenched, which is why he is filled with righteous jealousy when people give their hearts and lives to things other than to Him. I raised thee up under the apple tree: there thy mother brought thee forth: there she brought thee forth that bare thee. The church wishes for the constant intimacy and freedom with the Lord Jesus that a sister has with a brother. The heavens, those high mountains of sweet spices, must contain Christ, till the times come, when every eye shall see him, in all the glory of the better world. In this form of the word jealousy, it means that it is a “resolute devotion rather than a selfish ambition”. He is always a distant figure, which is why most scholars have concluded that Solomon is not the central figure of the piece, but rather a symbol. Here ends the seventh night of the marriage week. Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest and greatest poetry updates. I would lead you and bring you to my mother’s house— she who has taught me. The words of the church to Christ which follow, entreat an abiding place in his love, and protection by his power. The words of the church to Christ which follow, entreat an abiding place in his love, and protection by his power. If we love Christ, the fear of coming short of his love, or the temptations to forsake him, will be most painful to us. Thou that dwellest in the gardens - This is supposed to refer to the bridegroom asking permission of his spouse early in the morning to retire, as was his usual custom. Some make these the words of the bridegroom, expressing himself well pleased with her reliance on him and resignation of herself to his guidance. Every single person that visits PoemAnalysis.com has helped contribute, so thank you for your support. Matthew Henry’s Bible Commentary (concise), Matthew Henry Bible Commentary (complete), California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. The Vulgate gives this an abominable meaning. To Christ, and to his praise, all our fruits must be dedicated. 9 If she be a wall, we will build upon her a palace of silver: and if she be a door, we will inclose her with boards of cedar. "If a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would be utterly contemned." Song of Solomon Chapter 8 Analysis Verse 1. A most vehement flame - שלהבתיה shalhebethyah, "the flame of God;" for the word is divided יה שלהבת shalhebeth Yah, "the flame of Jehovah," by one hundred and sixteen of Dr. Kennicott's MSS., and by one hundred and fourteen of those of De Rossi. This verse must not be taken out of context. Is there in us an ardent wish to serve Christ more and better? "Commentary on Song of Solomon 8:4". My reasons I have already given in the introduction; and in the course of writing these short notes I have seen no cause to alter my opinion. 12 My vineyard, which is mine, is before me: thou, O Solomon, must have a thousand, and those that keep the fruit thereof two hundred. This is not appropriate in their culture and time period. She replies, craving his speedy return to take her to be wholly with Him. My beloved is my vineyard - my heritage; I would not change him for all the riches of the universe.". Desire for communion with Christ. For its fruit, each was to bring a thousand shekels of silver. I neither envy thee thy vineyard, nor them their profits. Set me as a seal upon thine heart; let me always have a place in thine heart; let me have an impression of love upon thine heart. We shall be enabled to look forward to death and judgment without fear. The love of the bride to her spouse, and the nature of that love, Song of Solomon 8:1-7. Do this as a proof of the love I bear to thee, which is such as nothing but death can destroy; and do it to prevent any jealousy I might feel, which is as cruel as the grave, and as deadly as fiery arrows or poisoned darts shot into the body. In the Song of Songs, where does Solomon say his vineyard is located. Of this the soul would be assured, and without a sense thereof no rest is to be found. These last two verses reveal the man and the woman experiencing enjoyment in one another. It comes in in a parenthesis, but in it gospel-grace lies as plain, and as much above ground, as any where in this mystical song: Who is this that comes up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved? 14 Make haste, my beloved, and be thou like to a roe or to a young hart upon the mountains of spices. A sinful state is a wilderness in which there is no true comfort; it is a wandering, wanting state: There is no coming out of this wilderness, but leaning on Christ as our Beloved, by faith; not leaning to our own understanding, nor trusting in any righteousness of our own; but in the strength of him, who is the Lord our Righteousness.